Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
I have had nothing...

freeridingfreddy said:
What can you tell me about West U Schwinn in Huston?
but bad experiences with them along with just about every rider in Houston that I have talked to about them.....you go in and ask if they have an XL so and so and they point at the wall and say - "There's a medium"....they also are known for trying to sell bikes on Ebay (a big NO NO for authorized dealers)....and if you are lucky, you will get a chance to talk to one of rude 'Huckers' as the manager will be busy on the phoning placing bets......other than that it's a great shop!!!!

Go to West End, Bike Barn, Sun and Ski or order online....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
i was just in there last week, they have some of the new blur 2006 xc on hand and the new nomad.(what a bike).i pick my blur up from them about 8mo ago.super nice guys and they know a lot about santa cruz bikes, they do about 2 to 3 a week when i got mind.p.s. and they can do dream cycles kits too.that's the i got mind.good luck!
 

·
TXAG
Joined
·
174 Posts
I have never been there but all I have heard are bad things. What kind of bike are you looking for? I would reccomend Bike Barn on Westheimer or Sun and Ski. Bike Barn is where I bought my Trek 6500 and they also cary Fisher and Specialized. The Sun and Ski on Westheimer carries Haro, Scott, Marin and Rocky Mountain. I believe they are the only Sun and Ski store that carries the Rocky Mountain line. They are all great guys and should be able to help you out. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
West U Cycles

It's too bad that you have had bad experiences at West U Cycles. I have recently ordered my fourth bike from them. I used to depend on Sun & Ski to do all of my maintenance and was never able to get my bike to work right. As I started doing more agressive riding (12 and 24 hour races) my bike couldn't keep up with that level of riding. I have a Gunnar mountain bike and road bike and also a Santa Cruz. As far as Bike Barn, I couldn't find a more arrogant group of guys. I can't speak for all of there employees, but I have been to 2 of there shops and feel like I received below average service. They just have a very cocky attitude when it comes to riding. Well, I've ridden with many of them on the trails and on the road and haven't seen too many of them keep up.
I don't mean to rag on chain shops. That's just my opinion. I can tell you if you really want to know about West U, call Santa Cruz and see what they have to say. West U specializes in custom bikes. And yeah, that takes a little more time. Santa Cruz took 2 months to get my frame built. If you are looking for a Santa Cruz, be prepared to wait for one of the best bikes around. There is a pretty good wait for their Nomad's. If your part of the now generation, go get you a mass produced Sun & Ski or Bike Barn special. I'm sure they'll be glad to get rid of whatever they have on their floor at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
MCF said:
but bad experiences with them along with just about every rider in Houston that I have talked to about them.....you go in and ask if they have an XL so and so and they point at the wall and say - "There's a medium"....they also are known for trying to sell bikes on Ebay (a big NO NO for authorized dealers)....and if you are lucky, you will get a chance to talk to one of rude 'Huckers' as the manager will be busy on the phoning placing bets......other than that it's a great shop!!!!

Go to West End, Bike Barn, Sun and Ski or order online....
just because you have some sort of grudge against the shop doesn't mean you need to act like a little ***** about it. if you are going to talk about the people there behind their backs you should be man enough to do it in person. hiding behind a computer on a forum is weak. Also, as far as arguing techniques are concerned, usually it is good to support claims with some sort of proof. Ebay - uhh what? how do you know what the shop sells and doesn't and what violates their contracts with the companies. rude "Huckers" - have you ridden with the shop guys? what have you brought to the table? once again, where is the support for this?

stop wasting your time trying to start **** online and confront your problems with the shop. how are they supposed to get better without constructive criticism. stop being a jerk and go help someone out for a change. what happened to the whole idea of people helping people out. and furthermore, the idea of supporting local businesses. Bike Barn and Sun & Ski are run by suits that don't care how or why it works but how many are sold.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
LukeTX04 said:
I have never been there but all I have heard are bad things. What kind of bike are you looking for? I would reccomend Bike Barn on Westheimer or Sun and Ski. Bike Barn is where I bought my Trek 6500 and they also cary Fisher and Specialized. The Sun and Ski on Westheimer carries Haro, Scott, Marin and Rocky Mountain. I believe they are the only Sun and Ski store that carries the Rocky Mountain line. They are all great guys and should be able to help you out. Good luck.
trek 6500? we are talking about cutom built bikes put together by cyclists for cyclists. if you want some foreign p.o.s. bike that doesn't retain its worth or quality.

you are our of your element luke
 

·
TXAG
Joined
·
174 Posts
_james_ said:
trek 6500? we are talking about cutom built bikes put together by cyclists for cyclists. if you want some foreign p.o.s. bike that doesn't retain its worth or quality.

you are our of your element luke
Sorry James but the op wasn't talking about custom built bikes. The man was simply asking about the shop. I made no bad claims about the shop, just simply said I had heard bad things and reccomended some others. While I would absolutely love a custom bike I simply can't afford one at the moment. Maybe I am a little out of my element but there is no reason to bash other peoples stuff for no reason. Anywho, no hard feelings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
James....

seems to be in love with hearing himself talk (or reading his writing) and with West U....I have talked to them and they could care less......and the fact that pictures of new bikes built by them (as I have seen them in their shop) and in front of their shop on Ebay is pretty much all the proof I need of their crooked dealings. You must have an affiliation with West U.....go to West End or drive to Austin and deal with some real bike shops....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Chill out James...

The OP asked for opinions of West U...and that's what's been posted. Everyone's opinion is valid here. You have the right to defend your shop but don't diss others who feel differently.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top