Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for information on Mountain Biking trails in and around west Tennessee.

So Far I have ridden the following with my kids:
Stanky Creek
Herb Parsons Lake
Shelby Farms

All the above are located in Memphis, with the exception of Herb Parsons.

I have checked out the local trail reviews on this forum, but would appreciate any individual suggestions of other good trails to ride.

I am looking for information and suggestions for other biking trails within, lets say, a 150 mile radius from Memphis. Something my kids and I can easily travel, (time/mileage consideration) and make a day of riding enjoyment.

Any replies, suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ol' DirtDawg

·
white boy extraordinaire
241 Posts
Its been a while but..

Ol' DirtDawg said:
I'm looking for information on Mountain Biking trails in and around west Tennessee.

So Far I have ridden the following with my kids:
Stanky Creek
Herb Parsons Lake
Shelby Farms

All the above are located in Memphis, with the exception of Herb Parsons.

I have checked out the local trail reviews on this forum, but would appreciate any individual suggestions of other good trails to ride.

I am looking for information and suggestions for other biking trails within, lets say, a 150 mile radius from Memphis. Something my kids and I can easily travel, (time/mileage consideration) and make a day of riding enjoyment.

Any replies, suggestions, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Ol' DirtDawg
Columbia, TN is a little out of the range you mentioned but it is supposed to have the best riding closest to memphis. There's also Chickasaw, but lots of horses. Natchez Trace state park is/was fun too if I remember correctly.

Having ridden memphis trails, I understand your dilemma.There's just really nothing close by or in a relatively easy drive.

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
W TN trails

Very nice 10 mile singletrack just south of Jackson TN (you have to go through Boys Town or something like that), about 70 miles east of Memphis. Get info from Jackson Spokes bicycle club or an LBS. Summit Quest MTB race used to be held there (I raced it last year), but I noticed from the 2004 Summit Quest flyer that this year they had the race at Young Park, so maybe there's another trail for you (I've never been there - directions to Young Park are in the Summit Quest race flyer online).

Another nice singletrack 70m NW of Memphis in Jonesboro, AR. Info/race flyer at Arkansas MTB race series website. There's also a LBS in Jonesboro (whose name I can't remeber) that can probably give you details. I think this one has 20 m total, although I rode the same 10 m twice.

My favorite trail within 100 or so miles of Memphis is Clear Creek trail on the southeast side of Sardis Lake, near Oxford MS. Info on Oxford Bike Club website or LBS. Definitely worth the drive.

For a weekend trip, there's the Berryman Trail in Mark Twain National Forest in SE Missouri (5 hour drive). It's an IMBA epic, and DEFINITELY worth the drive - rode it 2 days in a row. Maps on internet - do a google search for Berryman Trail. Hope your boys are old enough to handle this one! (Long trail, much climbing, although not punshing.)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Stanky Creek
Tolerable, some good tight twisties.
Lacking anything technical such as rock gardens, log pile, hills, etc.

Shelby Farms
Mildly entertaining, at best.... I enjoy watching the Barney's and Yuppie snobs from Germantown on thier $4000 double-boingers struggle around the Tour DeWolf as I meander around on m Rigid SingleSpeed. At least it's (mostly) a dirt path.
It's ALMOST more amusing to ride the paved loop around Victory lake and check out the Yummie Mommies in lycra tights, pushing baby carriages.

there is some good singletrack across the street, but it is way too short.
best riding is at night.

We often make a weekend camping trip to Oak Mtn. outside Birmingham, AL.
head out early friday, pitch tent, bike, swim, bike, grill, bike, etc.
Nice loop around the park, some moderate climbing.

Try Loch4 yet?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.