Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
West Pt. Inn East Peak Loop Ride, hit a lot of good trails on Mt. Tam including Tenderfoot, Gravity Car, Eldrigde, Indian Fr. About 17 miles.

Sunday meet in MV @ 9.30 at Depot Cafe

Anyone wanna join, if not open to any other rides in Marin! or Annadel!

Adult beverages included

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
I'm definately interested

I've got a couple of other commitments for the weekend that I have to sort through, but I'll commit one way or another by Friday afternoon.

I've been riding a lot of singletrack lately, so a nice long fire road grind will be a nice change. Also, if the weather stays clear, the views should be awesome! :cool:

PS - I rode the new Loma Alta entrance into Tamarancho yesterday afternoon. Very cool, especially White Hill trail above SFD, and the new Porcupine Trail.

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
baycat said:
where did you pick up the trail for Loma Alta.
Ditto. I've looked on the map that came with my Tamarancho pass, and I just don't know the area well enough to recognize where you pick up White's Hill/Porcupine. Is it near that fireroad that you climb up to get onto Solstice (not sure of the name of that fireroad)?

·
gimme friction
1,135 Posts
Yeah, behind White Hill School

baycat said:
think it is close to the school out there...
I picked up the fire road at the end of Glenn Drive, west of Fairfax proper, north of Sir Francis Drake. White Hill School is on the left near the end of Glenn Drive.

I took the fire road all the way up to the ridge, near a big water tank, where I ran into a chica who told me I was going the wrong way. So, I went back down and picked up a fire road behind the school itself. There is a Loma Alta Open Space gate, but the road itself is not signed.

After an initial climb, the fireroad basically follows a countour for a couple of miles, running somewhat parallel to SFD. It meets SFD above the Bothin kids camp just below where SFD begins to drop into San Geronimo Valley. Here, the road (SFD) is built up onto a metal overpass-type structure (public works has been fighting landslides here for years), and the trail goes *underneath* the roadway.

Once on the southern side of SFD, you are on White Hill Trail (signed) which switches back through the trees up to the ridge, where it picks up the new Porcupine trail (obvious junction). Porcupine also switches back several times up to White Hill Road (fireroad). Porcupine is a sweet trail, but pretty short. Then, it is a quick half-mile or so to the B-17 extension into Tamarancho.

It took me exactly one hour from Java Hut to the B-17 extension, including getting a little lost initially. So it is not any kind of shortcut into Tamarancho, especially since there is a fair amount of pavement between Java Hut and Glenn Drive. If I was going to enter and exit via Loma Alta, I would likely just park at the end of Glenn Drive. I think it would be more fun to go out on Porcupine/White Hill Trail, since it's all down hill. The Loma Alta fire road is nothing special.

The views from the beginning of Porcupine are pretty spectacular, though.

What I did, instead of exiting via Loma Alta, is that I came in on B-17, entered the loop clockwise, and did 1.5 loops, leaving via Alchemist and Iron Springs Road.

Sorry for being so descriptive, but that's what I did!

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nice ride

Thanks Baycat for aranging this ride, I'm glad I got out today to enjoy some sunshine.
Still a little sick but well worth it. let me know what your shooting for next weekend, If I'm not heading down south we could do some Marin stuff or A-del.
Hey! Ed we missed you hung out for awhile and looked around ??????? :confused:
Or was it "BEER" that wasn't mentioned so you went elsewhere. :confused:

CrAzY AnDdy :eek:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.