Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Got mine from AE Bike...

2.1, lotsa rubber, tread, studs and weight! I guess one has to do some road riding to sharpen the studs. They are very slippery on the road, so be careful. I found this out after coming down from a wheelie with the front brake on....

·
Registered
245 Posts
Ok, the obvious question is..

The obvious question is, how? I don't know if my old tires have enough tred to screw bolts/screws into. What size screws? How many? One in every tread block or only the big ones? A stud every other tread block? How do you prevent the screws from going through the casing?

·
My bike was -TWO- Wheels!
576 Posts
When I made mine, I used a 3/8s screws. What I did was take a small (very small) drill bit and drilled hole going rom the tread down into where the tube would be. Then, I went back witha drill and my screws and screwed them in from the inside going out. Use "panhead" screw.

You dont want much sticking through, just enough to bite. Granted they arent going to be as good as store bought studs, theyre a hell of a lot cheaper, and you get your choice of tires.

If you get the screws too long, thell just "fold" when they hit the ice. And too short, well thats obvious.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Buy Nokian studded tires from Larry at Mountain High Cyclery. I just got some from him yesterday. Worked great on my snowy commute this morning.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Give Nashbar studs a try-

Haven't tried them yet myself but will be purchasing a set after xmas for the winter beater.

Here they are in mtn form(also come as a cross 750c tire)
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...and=&sku=10627&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Here's a review of them from Icebike.com
http://www.icebike.com/Equipment/nstud.htm

I'm sure the Nokian blows them away but if money is a factor then the Nashbars may be the way to go. Plus the Nashbar studs are on sale at the moment as well.

If you do decide to go with them let us all know how they fair.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Studded tires for sale

I've got a pair for sale, Nokian Extreme 296 (front) and IRC mudmax (rear). Both are lightly used, snow is easy on them. I moved from Alaska and don't need them any more. $40 for both plus shipping!
Bill

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'll take 'em

I'll take your studded tires, mtnbikerbill. Send me a PM, or post back here. Don't wont the spammers to get my email. If that doesn't work, I'll try something else. They are both studded correct? And they run tubes? That's what I'm looking for.

Dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts