Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone loves a good tire thread.

Anyone wanna help me nerd out on tires for Wente 8 hour?? I have never done it before and would lose to know how rocky it is. I am racing a two man team and we are trying to go reasonably fast.

I have been running either Aspen 2.25's front and rear or an Aspen in the rear and a Ardent Race on the front most of my XC stuff. Aspens for really fast stuff, combo if I need a bit more grip. I'll go Ardent Race front and rear if need a bit more.

I don't mind sliding around a bit of sketchy/fast tires just don't want to flat.

Any input from veterans would be great. I need to buy at least one new tire no matter what.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My go to the last two years has been 2.25 ardent race front and a 2.25 ikon rear. This year I am going to go with a 2.35 ardent race front and a 2.25 rekon race rear. There is one climb that tends to get pretty loose, it's short but steep, after about the 4th or 5th lap I usually just get off and run it. Right after that is the the only section that really deteriorates. It's a fast narrow trail on an off camber hillside. By the middle of the race the braking bumps are showing and by the end it's chattery. That section is why I'm going slightly larger up front, I'm hoping it's a little more comfortable late in the race. The rest of the course is always pretty grippy and with the late rain we just had should be perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 Posts
Run fast tires. Not much in the way of rocks. And you'll know the spots to avoid after a couple laps. Just stay up on your food and drink otherwise you'll bury yourself. I have a solo spot for sale if anyone is interested. Pm me. It is sold out, I am looking for the entry cost of 185$ I'll pay the transfer fee.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.