Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my Sata Cruz Blur conversion I couldn't wait to convert my Mojo... finally got to it and what a sweet ride.

I went with the Lefty Carbon 130 Max... came from Fox F32 140mm, notable lateral stiffness improvement and a lot plusher/smoother over small and large hits.

Lost 1 pound on the conversion, now down to 23.1 lbs.

Fun stuff, highly recommended!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
I used the Project 3-2-1 adapter to go to the 1-1/8 sized head tube and bearings... works like a charm :) Looks like their photo model in their ad was an Ibis too!

http://www.project321.com/bikeadapters.php
what do you mean? mojo's are already 1 1/8. i am not following you?

about how much are these 130mm lefty forks? who has a good price? i am not sure there would be an advantage over a high end dtswiss i am thinking about. even weight wise. the dt might even be lighter? i would have to check

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mx_599 said:
what do you mean? mojo's are already 1 1/8. i am not following you?

about how much are these 130mm lefty forks? who has a good price? i am not sure there would be an advantage over a high end dtswiss i am thinking about. even weight wise. the dt might even be lighter? i would have to check
The best place I've seen is eBay for Lefties, it's pretty expensive to buy one outright through a shop... I originally bought an aluminum 140 Max and was going to use that one on my Ibis, but opted for the carbon one (so I currently have an extra 140 max with 321 adapter I'm going to ebay)... I paid $900 :eek: for the one on my Ibis on eBay but you can get the aluminum versions for $300-$600 quite often.

The clamp on the Lefties are for the C'dale proprietery sized steering tubes, not 1-1/8 std size steer tube. You need to use an adapter kit (like the Project 321 for $90) to be able to use a Lefty on a std 1-1/8" steer tube bike... although I hear that C'dale is going to make their own adapter kits here shortly...

It's a simple conversion, this latest one took me less than half an hour, and that was cutting the steer tube and inserting the star nut, which took most of the time.

After yet another bombimg ride today I really do feel that LEFT is RIGHT! :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I do have a question about the adapter. Does it allow for an extra 10-20mm AC2 bump?

The A2C measure on a Lefty 110 is 480mm. But on their website, they talked about adding 10mm for adapters. A 480mm is equivalent to a 100mm standard fork.

I'm trying to build an AM HT with a 120-140mm fork. One thought was to use my Lefty 110mm in lieu of a 120mm standard fork. But the published numbers are going the wrong way for the A2C (but how do they run a 120mm Fox fork on Rush 6 models?)

So how did the A2C numbers work to run a 130mm Lefty in lieu of a 140mm standard fork? If the numbers somehow work out, I wouldn't minde looking for a 130mm Lefty to run on my HT.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mx_599 said:
just had another thought. are these things adjustable in the "triple clamp" like a motorcycle?

for ex, if i got the 110mm model, could you slide it down in clamp to essentially give it the a2c of a 130mm fork and retain the geometry of 130mm?
If you go with an aluminum Lefty instead of carbon yes, with the aluminum 321 adapter there is lots of cool things you can do, with the Carbon no, it's bonded to the leg.

NOTE: There are TWO DIFFERNT Project 321 adapters... one for the aluminum and one for the carbon.... although I don't see any reason you can't use the carbon one on the aluminum, but not the other way around...

Man, I better get some commission off the 321 guys!....

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:
If you go with an aluminum Lefty instead of carbon yes, with the aluminum 321 adapter there is lots of cool things you can do, with the Carbon no, it's bonded to the leg.

NOTE: There are TWO DIFFERNT Project 321 adapters... one for the aluminum and one for the carbon.... although I don't see any reason you can't use the carbon one on the aluminum, but not the other way around...

i am confused by all this. so you can only buy these things used off ebay? why would i want that. i want somehting new.

are the aluminum ones old models? what choices are there? do they still make them? how much do they weigh? any benefit to having the aluminum model. if weight is then main benefit of the lefty design and i have to get the the Al, what is the point?

no one knows about I9? can my hub convert? if not, what hub choices are there?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
i wonder how much a2c adjustment you would have with the aluminum model? i guess my thought was to get the 110 to save weight but slide it down so that the geometry would be equivalent to 130 or so...is this a viable option?

i am pretty light so i dont think i would blow through the travel and i tend to ride more XC. but i guess maybe the 130 does not weigh much more...in that case, i guess i should just go carbon and not worry about clamp height a2c adjustment.

what about options? some have fox internals? i wonder which are best.

originally i was planning dtswiss, i dont know i should explore this lefty option or not. are they supposed to be that good? any better than dt?

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
okay, so weight on dtswiss and lefty are comparable in 130.

if the lefty has fox internals, is it no better than a fox?

if the lefty comes with a Ti spring on the spring model...what if i need the optional light spring for my weight? are there optional Ti light springs? as much as these cost, they should send the proper Ti spring.

also, does anyone have a picture of the 88 needle bearing assembly? i am not understanding how 88 needle bearings roll on a curved fork tube vs a standard bushing?

do these lefties take regular brakes and rotors? the caliper mount looked weird on one pic i noticed?

·
Registered
423 Posts
traffic002 said:
I do have a question about the adapter. Does it allow for an extra 10-20mm AC2 bump?

The A2C measure on a Lefty 110 is 480mm. But on their website, they talked about adding 10mm for adapters. A 480mm is equivalent to a 100mm standard fork.

I'm trying to build an AM HT with a 120-140mm fork. One thought was to use my Lefty 110mm in lieu of a 120mm standard fork. But the published numbers are going the wrong way for the A2C (but how do they run a 120mm Fox fork on Rush 6 models?)

So how did the A2C numbers work to run a 130mm Lefty in lieu of a 140mm standard fork? If the numbers somehow work out, I wouldn't minde looking for a 130mm Lefty to run on my HT.
Traffic,
Not totally clear on what your asking but in reference to a2c dimensions lefty's tend to be less than other fork of same travel. I like to run lefties 10-20mm more travel than the frame but it really depends on how you like your bike to handle. I just built up a new Felt Virtue 130mm with a lefty max 140 and it's sooo stable and sweet. But I like my bikes with a little more relaxed geometry. I am sure Cannondale accounts for this A2C difference in thier frame geometry. So, in your case I would lean toward a 130/140 lefty.
Feel free to give us a call and I will atempt to answer any questions you may have regarding this kind of conversion. - Jake Project321 877-584-7321

·
Registered
423 Posts
CactusJackSlade said:

Your build came out awesome! I love the Mojo with a lefty.
Oh, checks in the mail?:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
pumpkinbiter said:
Feel free to give us a call and I will atempt to answer any questions you may have regarding this kind of conversion. - Jake Project321 877-584-7321
This is the man who got me going on my first conversion, he knows his stuff (good to see you on the Forum Jake - Brian here from the Prairie City Races!). He knows all the ins/outs.

Both my projects came out sweet, and they do a great product... like I mentioned, my second conversion took only about 1/2 hour.

Another NOTE: The Lefties "I.S." brake mount is a bit wierd, and not true I.S. is it? (or I'm out in left field!) but on my 180 rotor I had to use a REAR 160 adapter (for Avid I think?). Maybe Jake or someone can expound on this?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 57 Posts