Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a LBS and looked at specialized and giant bikes are these good bikes for 6ft 260lb guy. One was a Giant Iguana and the other was a Rockhopper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to stay in the $500 dollar range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
Choices...

jcg said:
I went to a LBS and looked at specialized and giant bikes are these good bikes for 6ft 260lb guy. One was a Giant Iguana and the other was a Rockhopper. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trying to stay in the $500 dollar range.
Either would be fine. Go with the one that fit you best - the LBS should be able to help with that. Neither bike will be able to take the abuse of drops, jumps, etc. But, if you are just looking for a nice ride, either will do quite nicely.
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
debaucherous said:
Either would be fine. Go with the one that fit you best - the LBS should be able to help with that. Neither bike will be able to take the abuse of drops, jumps, etc. But, if you are just looking for a nice ride, either will do quite nicely.
The only thing I would add is to check into being able to get a firmer spring for the fork. I bought an Iguana for my son last year and I would be fine on this bike were it not for the spring in the fork. I weigh 270lbs.

If you can find a 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara, it has almost identical components as the Iguana and is in or close to your budget range. The kicker on this bike is that it came with an air sprung version of the RS Pilot, unlike the Iguana which is the coil only version.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jeffj said:
The only thing I would add is to check into being able to get a firmer spring for the fork. I bought an Iguana for my son last year and I would be fine on this bike were it not for the spring in the fork. I weigh 270lbs.

If you can find a 2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara, it has almost identical components as the Iguana and is in or close to your budget range. The kicker on this bike is that it came with an air sprung version of the RS Pilot, unlike the Iguana which is the coil only version.
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to probably just going to be a weekend warrior for now. But I will more then likely try to advance myself. Can these bikes be upgraded if needed? Thanks for helping out a newbie.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
537 Posts
For a slight bit more you can get a Kona Blast, which has a LX rear derailleur (most use Alivio), and it has disc mounts on the frame and fork, plus wheels that are laced with disc hubs. So, if you want to change over to disc brakes - which most any clydesdale will probably want to do - it is easy to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
837 Posts
upgrades...

jcg said:
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to probably just going to be a weekend warrior for now. But I will more then likely try to advance myself. Can these bikes be upgraded if needed? Thanks for helping out a newbie.
You can upgrade. But you probably won't want to once you get better as a rider. Ride and enjoy the bike you buy. Ride it until you get better and untill it starts to have major mechanical problems - then decide if upgrades are worth it. (You'll also know more about what you like and don't like then)

At the pricepoint you are at, it is usually cheaper and better in the long run to replace the bike when major parts wear out/break rather than upgrading. Or better yet, when you buy a better bike, fix the 1st and keep it as a beater or loaner!

Enjoy the ride.
 

·
MTB Rider
Joined
·
3,007 Posts
Unless you're after discs ...

debaucherous said:
You can upgrade. But you probably won't want to once you get better as a rider. Ride and enjoy the bike you buy. Ride it until you get better and untill it starts to have major mechanical problems - then decide if upgrades are worth it. (You'll also know more about what you like and don't like then)

At the pricepoint you are at, it is usually cheaper and better in the long run to replace the bike when major parts wear out/break rather than upgrading. Or better yet, when you buy a better bike, fix the 1st and keep it as a beater or loaner!

Enjoy the ride.
In which case $500 is just fine because upgrading your old rig will probably cost $300 if it's even possible AT ALL.

Personally, I bought the Giant Yukon and WISH I would have bought the Iguana for a better crank and better wheels. So I think you'll be fine.
 

·
Gear Whore
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Buy the best frame you can find, the parts are really all going to be about the same at that price point, the frame is the heart of the bike and that is what I would look at first, tubing/geometry/quality of weld. Giants are good bang for the buck. Whatever you do just have fun....that is what its all about.
 

·
President, CEO of Earth
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Both are really good

Get the one that fits better (i.e. is more comfortable to ride). The frames are similar quality, as is just about every other $500 taiwanese/chinese bike in that price range (Treks, Konas, GTs, Rocky Mtns... etc). You will not notice a difference with a slightly lighter/stronger frame, unless you are planning on really pushing the limits of the bike, and simply being big does not push the limits of a bike.

As some others have mentioned, the things you may have a problem with in the future are rims, hubs, bottom bracket, headset. And all these are very easy to replace and upgrade to stronger stuff should it become necessary.
 

·
Gear Whore
Joined
·
1,352 Posts
Really, I have helped a few friends buy bikes at that level and there are differences in frame materials and warranties, you just gotta look for them. It is about the ride in the end so whatever feels best to you....that is what you should get, test ride as many as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
I am 300lbs and bought a Spec hardrock Pro (disk) for jsut over $500....it was around $550 I think.

It is a great bike. I swapped the cranks because I killed the square taper BB/Aluminum cranks....but that is to be expected from a guy like me. Any bike I would have chosen I was planning on doing a crank swap.....I rode the bike for about 3-4 months before doing the cranks change. Right now i have it set up with some MTB street slicks.. and rock the road. I have also used it a lot on the local trails.

The shimano mech disks are great trail breaks and the wheels set is OK, strong enough for a XC rim set for me. They are heavy for lighter people but I am bigger than evenmost clydes.

I say for big guys the cranks were a week point.....I changed the seat because I already had one I liked...so I thru that on. Other than that it is stock. It has a less than great fork (Judy TT) but it has served me well as a trail fork. It is a sturdy chasis with nothing for internals but a spring. I get buy with stock springs too.

Good luck on shopping for your bike.

Rhino
 

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
Joined
·
6,891 Posts
Nothing personal toward Rhino but (since he mentioned the Judy TT fork being less than great), do yourself a favor and avoid any bike with a Judy TT fork. It is, IMHO, the worst fork you can get on a bike in that price range (I'm talking about any fork from Marzocchi, Rock Shox or Manitou).

For $599, you might still be able to get an Iron Horse Rogue from Supergo. It comes with an XT rear derailluer, Hayes hydraulic disc brake sand a Rock Shox Judy SL U-Turn (not the same as a Judy TT) adjustable travel fork among other things. If it fits you, I think it's the most bike you can get for less than $600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
41 Posts
jeffj said:
Nothing personal toward Rhino but (since he mentioned the Judy TT fork being less than great), do yourself a favor and avoid any bike with a Judy TT fork. It is, IMHO, the worst fork you can get on a bike in that price range (I'm talking about any fork from Marzocchi, Rock Shox or Manitou).

For $599, you might still be able to get an Iron Horse Rogue from Supergo. It comes with an XT rear derailluer, Hayes hydraulic disc brake sand a Rock Shox Judy SL U-Turn (not the same as a Judy TT) adjustable travel fork among other things. If it fits you, I think it's the most bike you can get for less than $600.
I know the fork isn't good. But for XC it keeps the wheel on the ground. I would never suggest someone go out and buy that fork. The TT is just a Judy chassis with no damping guts and some springs. Even with that it is much better than the Quadras I had in college back in the early 90's :D While I don't know about the "worst fork in that price range" :) I mean when you just have springs in a fork...the only big diff is the chassis.

I did not have a chance to try the Rogue but the bikes marketed as jump bikes were to short at the top tube for me. I tried the Spec P series and they were to steep and short. The Hardrock Pro was beefier than a XC frame but still had XCish geometry...wich is what I was looking for. This bike fit me...I definately didn't buy it because of the fork. ;) Though I have worked the fork over on some ridge descending and it served adaquately....a barely good fork (stiff for big guy XC work but NO damping)

I suggest he try the bikes marketed for park and DJ type activities to see if the frame is big enough and it doesn't feal strange on the trail. If he is looking for XC work even a great buy like the rogue might not fit his needs.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top