Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was bored so I cruised to a pawn shop and checked out what they had. Those guys must have been stoned. You can definitely tell that they don't know what they are looking at or how to price bikes. The guy at the counter was talking up the bikes like they were brand new and mint and I was chuckling inside. I wish I could have been a jerk and laughed at him.
And I am not talking about bargains. They had a 2008 ? Trek Fuel Ex 5.5 there that was fairly rough and filthy and they wanted $950. Also had a Motobecane Fly Team 26" that I am guessing someone converted to single speed and looked like a rigid carbon fork for $1200 and it was just as rough as the Trek. And I won't even get into the low end department store bikes. Crazy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
All prices at pawn shops are negotiable. I never pay any attention to the sticker price on anything at pawn shops. you'll go crazy if you do. And you'd be an idiot if you paid sticker price.

G

·
So you're saying that pawn shops are not a good source for used bikes?
My biggest issue with buying bikes at Pawn Shops is they get a lot of stolen bikes which they resale without penalty (at least in my State). They report the serial numbers but that doesn't usually result in a positive idendification. When it does, you (the victim) have to pay the pawn ticket value to get your own bike back. I had a Schwinn MOAB 2 stolen years ago and asked our PD if I found it at a pawn shop, could I just take it (because it's mine). Of course the answer is no, you'd be stealing your own property. Really? So I never buy bikes from Pawn Shops.

·
GONE
25,655 Posts
My biggest issue with buying bikes at Pawn Shops is they get a lot of stolen bikes which they resale without penalty (at least in my State). They report the serial numbers but that doesn't usually result in a positive idendification. When it does, you (the victim) have to pay the pawn ticket value to get your own bike back. I had a Schwinn MOAB 2 stolen years ago and asked our PD if I found it at a pawn shop, could I just take it (because it's mine). Of course the answer is no, you'd be stealing your own property. Really? So I never buy bikes from Pawn Shops.
Forster, I was COMPLETELY joking, but thank you for your concern. Don't forget that I am visiting here from OC where I thrive. Since nothing is taken seriously over there, it's hard to take anything seriously anywhere else. :)

G

·
Forster, I was COMPLETELY joking, but thank you for your concern. Don't forget that I am visiting here from OC where I thrive. Since nothing is taken seriously over there, it's hard to take anything seriously anywhere else. :)
Hawg, had that figured out after the soldiering iron discussion. Just adding my distain to the reasons not to Pawn Shop for bikes.

·
GONE
25,655 Posts
Hawg, had that figured out after the soldiering iron discussion. Just adding my distain to the reasons not to Pawn Shop for bikes.
Agreed, in fact a pawn shop is the very last place I would think of to go bike shopping. But I suppose you can get anything there, literally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts