Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't a normal bike trail but it was a worn trail behind my grandfathers farm that leads down to a river and then splits going along the river for a few miles each way.

I live in TN so it has some very neat rocky parts and was fun navigating them. The biggest issue I think was a few fallen trees over the path. Is there any good way over them without jacking up sprocket? I am not moving fast enough to jump some of them and others are just too big you have to carry bike over them.

Overall very fun but me and my two other friends who are new to mountain biking we all 3 got flat tires. There was no large thorns that I could tell except small tiny thin ones that you don't normally see or notice. The innertubes just had very tiny punctures and looking through the inside of tire I could see nothing the went through.

Is this common for trails that aren't frequently ridden and have debris all over them?(leaves/sticks/brush)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Sounds like a pinch flat.....is the hole in the tube right where the rim and tire meet?

The move to get over a log across the trail is called a bunny hop...look it up.

Yup, just ride the trails as you find them, every trail has its tricks and hard spots that is what keeps it interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jeffscott said:
Sounds like a pinch flat.....is the hole in the tube right where the rim and tire meet?

The move to get over a log across the trail is called a bunny hop...look it up.

Yup, just ride the trails as you find them, every trail has its tricks and hard spots that is what keeps it interesting.
No the were towards the center of the tube. Also with the logs the trail is hard to get up enough speed to bunny hop over 1ft+ logs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
I highly recommend running a bash guard, unless you feel like you'll use your large ring a lot. Replacing the large ring with a bash guard will not only protect your bike when you hit things, but also allow you to get up & over logs easier when you do hit them.

Also, look into Slime tubes or filling your existing tubes with Slime. The best way to avoid flats IMO is to go tubeless, but it can be an expensive start-up in the beginning, & kinda sketchy if you don't have tubeless rims.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Brambled said:
No the were towards the center of the tube. Also with the logs the trail is hard to get up enough speed to bunny hop over 1ft+ logs.
Not pinch flats...

You can buuny hop on to a picnic table from a standing start.

Some you just get off and walk until you know the trail better....

If it was your first trail then you were likely riding it slowly has compared to many other experienced riders.

If the holes are thorns then you end up going tubeless.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Philius413 said:
I highly recommend running a bash guard, unless you feel like you'll use your large ring a lot. Replacing the large ring with a bash guard will not only protect your bike when you hit things, but also allow you to get up & over logs easier when you do hit them.

Also, look into Slime tubes or filling your existing tubes with Slime. The best way to avoid flats IMO is to go tubeless, but it can be an expensive start-up in the beginning, & kinda sketchy if you don't have tubeless rims.
Forget the bash just learn the right technique.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
I find that I get flats now and again but not so much. Some trips out you may get three and then none for months. The best thing is to take a repair kit along and a good air pump. It could also have something to do with the tire some sires puncture easy. I would only recommend using slime as a last resort as it will make your tires heavier.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
For logs, either bunny hop them, or lay smaller logs/rocks infront and behind them until they are easy to roll over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
jeffscott said:
Forget the bash just learn the right technique.
Wow dude! You sound awesome! Not to hi-jack the thread, but I've been having some issues getting up and over a log about 22" in diameter that is in the middle of an up-hill section. Could you post a video showing the proper technique on how to get over it? Currently I get my front wheel up on top & lock the front brake, then kind of hop & ratchet until I make it over. But when I am directly on top of the log, my bash guard rests on top of it, so obviously there is a better way. Thanks in advance bro!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Grip said:
For logs, either bunny hop them, or lay smaller logs/rocks infront and behind them until they are easy to roll over.
This is what I was thinking of doing and just making it a fun part of the trail instead of a hassle.

This trail would be pretty fun if more people hit it on bike but it is pretty unknown and I only think people ride their horse on it for most part.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jpeters said:
I would only recommend using slime as a last resort as it will make your tires heavier.
I saw those slime tires but wasn't so sure about them so I just grabbed a few of the $4 cheap ones.

Is there a big difference in quality of inner tubes?

Also what would be a decent kind of pump to take along with you on a trail? Are the CO2 things worth getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Philius413 said:
Wow dude! You sound awesome! Not to hi-jack the thread, but I've been having some issues getting up and over a log about 22" in diameter that is in the middle of an up-hill section. Could you post a video showing the proper technique on how to get over it? Currently I get my front wheel up on top & lock the front brake, then kind of hop & ratchet until I make it over. But when I am directly on top of the log, my bash guard rests on top of it, so obviously there is a better way. Thanks in advance bro!
yeah sure use the search lots of topics about bunny hops.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
jeffscott said:
yeah sure use the search lots of topics about bunny hops.
I've watched loads of videos, and have never seen someone bunny hop over a log while grinding uphill. You have been so helpful to the OP, I thought you wouldn't mind showing us how it's done with some home videos. Oh well. I guess resorting to "just use the search" is all the help you can provide. Really got my hopes up though...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,083 Posts
Philius413 said:
I've watched loads of videos, and have never seen someone bunny hop over a log while grinding uphill. You have been so helpful to the OP, I thought you wouldn't mind showing us how it's done with some home videos. Oh well. I guess resorting to "just use the search" is all the help you can provide. Really got my hopes up though...
http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7774966

http://forums.mtbr.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=7774966

Yeah keep using the bash guard that is gonna eventually work out for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
923 Posts
You might find this video helpful:


This pretty much works for me although I tend to "assist" the rear wheel over the log by lifting it with my feet using the pedals rather than just "un-weighting" it as suggested in the video. But it depends on how high the log is (and how lazy I feel), too.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top