Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy schnikey, rode my geared HT 26r today and damn near had to turn around and get my SS 29r. Rode my new bike for about 3 weeks straight and I don`t think I can step down to riding my geared rig again. I was completely lost on the hills trying to figure out what gears to be in. This may be the last of the geared rides except for on roadie days and i have a single for that also. :madman:

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Put more time into it and I'm sure you could be good at both :thumbsup:

With only one bike I stick with SS full time, but I'm very jealous and would love to have a second bike with gears to switch it up when I want. I know I could put it to good use on a few of the trail loops here

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Geared is all i used to ride but since i started riding my SS mostly i could care less about my geared ones. Bikes with multiple gears will help get you in shape, SS will increase your conditioning or something like that, it is all in the spin.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
After an injury that kept me off the bike for October, and then only getting to ride the weekends (sometimes only one day...) I have started to seriously consider putting my 29'er into 1 x 9 mode for a few weeks to try to get a base back. Not sure if I'll be liking it, but at least I should make it up the hills. After fighting a cold this week, went for a late morning ride this AM and the steepers sections on the SS were killing me. Started a planned ride of about 19 - 20 miles and bailed into a less-than-12 miler. Felt like doo-doo and decided to listen to my body. Still have all the stuff from my 2 x 9 version for riding a loaded trip on this bike. Might go with a 32t fr and a 11-34 cassette for a few weeks. Damn I hate chain clatter/derailleur noisr though!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Haha. I often spend much the time before a climb or during the climb figuring out the gear to use. A mentality of " If I dont use this gear, I wont finish the climb" stuck as I rode my gearie during my first days of mountain biking,

Now that I turned to SS, the mentality sounds foolish. Its one gear, and one climb. The rider is one who decides.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think that i might be a bit dumb as I'm stuffed if i can ride a geared bike now, I tried and i failed ... actually i hated every minute of it

Could consider 1x9 maybe on a 29er ... maybe when i get real old

·
Registered
26 Posts
OK, this sounds neurotic, but when I ride my geared bike, I start out shifting a lot to try to find the right gear. Then, I put it in the closest gear to my singlespeed and keep it there because I get paranoid about getting out of singlespeed shape during only one geared ride. Then, I shift some more because they're there and it's silly not to use them. Then, the drivetrain noise really gets on my nerves and I ask myself why I didn't ride my singlespeed.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
After building my SS cyclocross bike, even my SS 29'er feels a bit boring - I haven't touched my geared bikes since. When I'm on the trails, people look crazy at me when I ride by, though. Not many cyclocross heads ride around here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
got rid of my geared bike by trashing the rear derailler. converted the bike to ss... loved it so much that i am just now finishing up a surly 1x1 build to be my only mtn bike. the only other bike i have is a ss fixie road commuter beater/best friend. gears just don't remind me of my childhood like a ss does, and when you boil it down, i ride bikes to feel like a kid again.

·
808+909 = Party Good Time
2,072 Posts
Vlad said:
Really? Are some of you guys so stupid that you can't figure out what gear to be in or how to shift?
I was about to write something similar. Don't get me wrong I love SS and had one for 2 years straight with no other bike. Just sold it and bought a geared hardtail 29er due to injury and love it just as much, actually probably more. Clearly you guys have no idea how to ride with gears, it's really not that hard or you are too lazy to take time to learn it.

Pick a bike SS or geared, ride it and love it.

·
Shift less, Pedal more.
521 Posts
Vlad said:
Really? Are some of you guys so stupid that you can't figure out what gear to be in or how to shift?
chumbox said:
Clearly you guys have no idea how to ride with gears, it's really not that hard or you are too lazy to take time to learn it.
Yeah, I don't know whether to shift with my index finger or my thumb. Doctor told me to ride a SS.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is just that riding with gears makes you lazy. If you have a gear that you can go most anywhere on including the steep climbs when you jump on your geared bike I think you try to find that perfect gear that most replicates the SS gearing. I personally like the direct nature of the SS. Pedal and go, stand up to go faster pull hard on the handle bars hammer that hill rinse and repeat. We as a people are always looking to make things easier. Just go for a ride, i do not give a shift about about gears only having fun on my bike and not listening to the rear dérailleur bounce around or preparing for the next climb by trying to analyze my gear selection or shifting in the middle of a climb because all of the sudden there is another steeper rise or a decline and now your spinning wildly. You can only be in one gear at a time anyway and it will probably be the wrong one so it might as well be a SS.

·
fnar fnar brrraaaaap
2,162 Posts
Single speeders and their "geared riders are lazy crap". Riding a trail bike with drop post and full complement of gears also takes alot of skill and focus. Infact, you could argue that it is more challenging than "just turning the pedals" ;) Hehe.

As for not knowing how to ride a 26" geared bike after weeks on a 29er SS. Of course it will feel odd- much like going from a HT to dually. Just ride some more- chill out- smile and get off the high horse ;)

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Try riding my friend's bike. :lol: (actually, Ying is a very talented flatland BMX rider who does things on this bike that would make your head explode).

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
As I threatened to do a few days ago, I converted my XXIX over to 1 x 9. I was thinking it really didn't help much, but it turns out I was coming down with a bug, so that is probably why I was still sucking bad on my bike. Running a 32t front with an 11-34 rear. Since my climbing style is more low-rev grunt or stand and mash now, I really don't see me using the 34t. Thinking a 12-27 9-spd roadie gearset might be the trick for me. Since this is a temp set-up to get a base back though, I will likely stick with it as is, and convert back to the SS in a month or so. The 1 x 9 works well, and I nailed the chain length to keep it from slapping too much - but still not as quiet as SS. At least it is a bike and I can ride it. Gears or not, anything you can play on is great!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts