Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
sftrydr
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
More Pics, Story To Be Told

Picked the bike up 4 months or so ago, CL find in LA area.
Had one of friends p/u, he just now brought it up from Sunny Socal this last wknd.
Original owner was a cancer survivor, that swore a 10,000 mile on a tandem promise to his wife if he pulled through chemo, this was back in the early 80's.
Well, he pulled through, ordered the custom Ritchey from LBS, had it outfitted w LA bars+seats,sadly, the original bars+front stem,seats+seatposts were kept by the LBS, as per the wishes of the buyer.
Anywho, nephew inherited "Andre the Giant", (my name att. to this beast mainly due to the Magura Gigantus rear brake puller dimension, see new pic) .
Have some era specific parts to begin restoration, although, I'm tempted to leave as is for awhile due to the LA poser strand cruiser persona it exudes....just for awhile though...

Attachments

·
sftrydr
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They Exist

hollister said:
it exists..

Sorry for the not too exact pic. but if you look just past the water bottle on the tandem, you'll see the mixte frame
This bike belongs to Tom's 1st wife Katie, and hopefully will be restored in the near future.
The Canondale headshok-plexus is a pretty unique bike too.

Attachments

·
sftrydr
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sandmangts said:
I remember that one. I was very tempted to go get it. Now that I see how good the condition is I wish I had. If I remember correctly the price was quite reasonable considering how nice it is. You are a fortunate guy.
Thanx, I was surprised to hear from the seller, as I responded 4-5 days into his posting...figuring it'd be long gone.....

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,427 Posts
ssulljm said:
hollister said:
it exists..

Sorry for the not too exact pic. but if you look just past the water bottle on the tandem, you'll see the mixte frame
This bike belongs to Tom's 1st wife Katie, and hopefully will be restored in the near future.
The Canondale headshok-plexus is a pretty unique bike too.
That's cool as hell:thumbsup:

If that headshock version gets around to the top of the list, I'll volunteer my services for the headshock resto, just to see it built up and running.

Great, another oddball bike variation to lust after, I always seem to like the strays:D

·
I've got old bikes
13 Posts
What year is the blue HS'd Ritchey from? I didn't think they were still doing frames when the HS was around but obviously I'm mistaken.

Roller-cams, niiiice. I'll be honest brakes is the one place I'd be modernizing but obviously if you are going for a full vintage resto those are cool. The frame on that bike looks mint!

·
sftrydr
986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Icehawk said:
What year is the blue HS'd Ritchey from? I didn't think they were still doing frames when the HS was around but obviously I'm mistaken.

Roller-cams, niiiice. I'll be honest brakes is the one place I'd be modernizing but obviously if you are going for a full vintage resto those are cool. The frame on that bike looks mint!
Yep, the brakes will stay as is, pic att is of how the restore is proceeding.
Other than a few under tube rack scratches, this beast is very cherry.
And, I've taken it out for 2, 1-2 hr loops, damn plush feelin as it winds through the brush.

Mid 90's is my best guess at year of the HS bike.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.