Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went from 44-32-22 on my xc hardtail to 36-24. I took off the old chainrings and installed the new ones using the "back part" of the bolt (female?) from a set of single speed chainring bolts and the front (male?) bolt part from my other, triple, chainring bolt set combined with a spacer.

So, basically I used the back part of the single speed bolts, combined with the front part of my old bolts and a spacer (to in a sense replace the big ring).

My front derailleur is the newer XT 770 series top swing, dual pull model.

Even just riding a lap around my neighborhood, I am getting major chain suck everytime I shift from the big ring to the small ring.

Also, I am having some issues with shifting OVER the big ring, by that I mean off the big chainring completely. I have the limit screw maxed out. Would one of the "all mountain" SLX front derailleurs designed for 2x9 fix this?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
bikerboyj17 said:
I just went from 44-32-22 on my xc hardtail to 36-24. I took off the old chainrings and installed the new ones using the "back part" of the bolt (female?) from a set of single speed chainring bolts and the front (male?) bolt part from my other, triple, chainring bolt set combined with a spacer.

So, basically I used the back part of the single speed bolts, combined with the front part of my old bolts and a spacer (to in a sense replace the big ring).

Even just riding a lap around my neighborhood, I am getting major chain suck everytime I shift from the big ring to the small ring.

Also, I am having some issues with shifting OVER the big ring, by that I mean off the big chainring completely. I have the limit screw maxed out. Would one of the "all mountain" SLX front derailleurs designed for 2x9 fix this?

Did you replace the chain? An old chain can hang up on new rings.
Check that the chainring bolts are not protruding past the ring on the inside.

If you can not get the limit screw set right (which is odd), try readjusting the cable so you use the outer and middle clicks of the shifter.

·
Ride lots.
91 Posts
chain suck?

Are you really getting chain suck, or deraillment? Chain suck is when the chain stays on the chainring and wraps up and under, then jams, never coming off, vs. deraillment, when the chain falls off the ring.

bikerboyj17 said:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am running truvativ trushift rings. And I have been experiencing chainsuck as well as deraillment.

Taking a closer look at the issue after Shiggy's reccomendations, it seems like the chainring bolts are protruding slightly from behind the middle ring. This might be causing some of the shifting issues right? Any reccomendation about what to do with this? File the bolts?

I will try adjusting the front derailleur differently, thanks Shiggy.

·
Registered
115 Posts
shiggy said:
If you can not get the limit screw set right (which is odd), try readjusting the cable so you use the outer and middle clicks of the shifter.
Or wind the barrel adjuster so that when the derailleur is in the granny position (on the low limit screw) there is some slack in the cable. Your order of operation for a front derailleur is:

- low limit screw (chain 1mm from cage in lowest gear)
- attach cable (with the barrel adjuster 3 turns out from bottomed)
- cable tension (to get the best range without chain to derailleur rubbing)
- high limit

·
Registered
272 Posts
The bolts sticking out could catch the chain during a shift. You can get shorter bolts at any bike shop, or file them down. They should cost around $10 for a complete set of bolts I think?

Did you shorten your chain? You should be able to shorten it, and that would help keep chain tension and reduce chain-suck a bit.

Make sure the chain isn't excessively worn, this will make chain-suck bad, and wear out your new chain rings faster.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.