Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
put new meats on the hoops....like a frickn boy scout that I am

just discovered Maxxis logo is not near valve, on either wheel. Hence I have no way to air these up, cannot find the valve.

so...do I just throw bike away or can bikes be recycled ?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,204 Posts
I believe the term is "ride it until the wheels fall off" not "ride it until you're out of air pressure".

You're good

·
well mannered lout
2,772 Posts
"new meats on the hoops" is kinda funny to me.

No need to throw the bike away. Just cut this set of tires off with a utility knife and start over. That's the smrt thing to do.

·
Administrator
10,529 Posts
Um drill new hole in rim near hot patch, be careful to not drill through tire and tube, it is easier to do if you deflate the tire, then put in tube in correct location. If you are using tubeless just buy a new bike, there is no way to fix this.

·
Nothing seems to kill me
742 Posts
Park makes a valve locator, but they are pricey. There are two different models for different types of valves.
Model # PVL-S or PVL-P. Good luck, I hope to never be in your position. Hopefully you can get this resolved this riding season.

·
Thinking about riding.
2,169 Posts
If you measure how far from the valve the logo ended up maybe you can work out the conversion for how many PSI you need? Good luck!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
The solution is maxxis stickers and a black sharpie. Carefully color in existing maxxis logo, put maxxis sticker where valve stem is. Tell everyone your tires are prototypes.

If the rims are carbon and presta you can use a spoke hole as an alternative and just leave that spoke off (the rims are plenty strong). If the rims are aluminium or smaller than 29" just recycle your bike, no way its rideable.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you're running presta, you can just get some surgical tubing, clamp to the valve, and route to the correct spot. Then use a valve extender. Maybe wind the tubing back and forth through the spokes so it doesn't flop around :)

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The only practical solution is to go to a hospital or a deep sea exploration ship that has a hyperbaric chamber. Place the wheels inside and have them charge the chamber to 100 atmospheres. After several days the pressure will equalize and then you can go ride.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
yeah yeah, sure sure. People always say that if you want job done right to do it yourself.

You just proved that statement to be false! Rookie.

Just take your bike to the shop and and 'em fix it for you and you can keep riding.

FWIW, I have never aligned a logo to the stem. I align wheel and tire logos.

·
well mannered lout
2,772 Posts
I lknow a racer that always has his custom wheels built with an off color spoke on either side of the valve stem to pick it out easier in race situations.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The best long term solution is to rebuild your wheels with white spokes either side of the valve hole to help you locate it, then you don't need to worry about running tyres to help locate the valve stem.

·
Registered
246 Posts
This is a problem when the wheel only has 1 valve. It should have at least 4 valves and the optimal number is really 8.5 The .5 is the fake valve above the Logo.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts