Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Old man on a bike
12,383 Posts
That's a good question.

Since Wellgo probably made my Ritchey pedals I guess I'm a Wellgo fan. I haven't tried Shimanos for a while myself (I bought a good stock of Ritchey v2's a while back). I think most people wouldn't narrow the list to those two...Time, Crank Bros., Speedplay and others are definitely quality pedals too. I just wonder who Wellgo makes 'em for these days, or do they only market their own brands now? I tried the website but it "couldn't be found"...

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Shimano 540 or 959. Better build quality and downright some of the best durability af ANY pedal in the market.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Best?

malariavalley said:
Which pedal are considered the best wellgo or shimano?
If you are looking for SPD pedals, then fine. Might I recommend that you try time or crank bros. I am a Time convert from shimano. Best move I ever made. Better engagement in the mud, no adjustment required, perfect float. All around I felt it was better than SPD.

·
Registered
11,671 Posts
Times...

malariavalley said:
Which pedal are considered the best wellgo or shimano?
The wellgos and shimanos load up in muck, loamy dirt or dirt with alot of material on its surface. This will cause premature and/or lack of release of the shoe from the pedal.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
jrm said:
The wellgos and shimanos load up in muck, loamy dirt or dirt with alot of material on its surface. This will cause premature and/or lack of release of the shoe from the pedal.
this is true if you are talking about the older , 858, 747, 515's, etc but Shimano's mud performance improved dramatically with the 959 design and now 520/540 models. Their mud performance is easily as good as anything else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts