Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may or may have not noticed, I've been off the bike for a few weeks. I've come up with three good excuses. First, I didn't have a fork. I had it off for repairs. Second, I got an Xbox 360... and it's awesome! And, OK, maybe I was a bit burned out on riding.

HOWEVER!

I got my fork back today. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. I couldn't wait to get back home, bolt it on and hit the trails. I missed the 9am Gap Epic because I wasn't able to get the fork until noon, but I headed for the Gap anyway. I railed the first section (sweet! man, I love biking!) and crossed the road. I noticed a mustard-yellow 08 Stumpjumper underneath a guy with a Dakine Nomad pack on and knew it must be Dan. "Mr. Dan!" We chit chat a little bit about my fork and I continue up the hill.

On the next uphill section of fireroad, I stood up to jam to the top when the rear of my bike feels funny and my tire is rubbing on something. Great, a flat! "Oooh, that sucks" says the rider next to me. What sucks? I got a flat? Oh well... could be worse!

Yes, it could! And it was. My chainstay snapped in half and was pointed toward the ground like a kickstand. RIDE OVER.

I walked (wow, boring) back to the car. It sucked. It took forever. But, I made it.

The bike is at the shop. Only time will tell how this pans out... there are some rumors about this not being covered at one end. And a couple of other sources that say it is covered. Screwy.

Hopefully Dan will have photos to share, later.

Have fun riding the dirt tomorrow!

(Anyone wanna go on a road ride w/ me? Page Mill/280 to Old La Honda/Alpine/Page Mill loop?)

Justin

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Dude, I was thinking. The shops will likely charge you for taking the bike apart and sending in just the frame. Might want to take it apart yourself to save some $$. They will also likely charge to put it back together again. As a mechanic, you should be able to do that all yourself. However since you aren't a bike mechanic at a big S dealer, you doing anything to your bike will probably void any warranty. Lame.

Here's the proof:

Attachments

·
ol'guy who says hi &waves
2,546 Posts
Looks like it snapped in the middle of a cast part? Wow, I would have never expected that. Hopefully Specialized will cover everything. Good luck.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about that. The only paper I signed had a total of $0. If it's anything like an automotive shop, I didn't authorize anything... so, technically, they can't charge me for anything. Specialized may cover disassembly. I will go by the shop today and find out. I'm sure it would be something ridiculous like $90 for disassembly and then reassembly. No way, jose.

I was expecting to see the break at the weld, but it's about 3/4"-1" away from the nearest weld. The 2.35 Nevegal I had on there may have been rubbing a bit while standing on climbs, but I don't think that would saw a chainstay in half. Plus that tire was on there for only a couple of rides. More likely, it was rubbing because the chainstay was twisting under load and finally gave.

Awesome!!! :-D

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Wait, isn't the Spec warranty only for the front triangle? I thought I read that somewhere. Good point JRM.

Maybe covered for only 1yr.

"LIMITED ONE (1) YEAR WARRANTY ON SUSPENSION ATTACHMENTS & SUSPENSION RELATED EQUIPMENT
Also subject to the following limitations, terms and conditions, Specialized warrants to the original owner of each new Specialized bicycle or frameset that the suspension attachment points, and suspension related equipment (including pivot points, bushings, shock units, front suspension forks, stays, plates, fasteners) when new are free of defective materials or workmanship."

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCGlobalPages.jsp?pageName=downloads
Look at the warranty section in manual.

Hope this works out for you Justin.

·
bike buster
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sending in the whole bike would be if they didn't have the rear triangle and were going to replace the frame. Pictures are being sent in and they're gonna make the call. The rear triangle is covered for only one year. Which is retarded. If you buy a frame, you will receive everything from the rear dropout to headtube. I guess people were doing jumps on lightweight Epics and S got tired of warrantying bikes that were used for other than what they were intended. So, when my bike breaks while I'm climbing up a fireroad... I'm SOL. The shop is gonna push for replacement because it snapped in the middle of a cast piece. It was not at a weld. If I do have to pay for the swingarm, it's $100 or less. Which isn't bad..

Justin

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
rensho said:
You sellin that thing and getting a Turner 5spot, or Titus el Guapo?
That would be awsome, I've been looking to buy a broken specialized frame for ages.

Seriously though, let us know how it works out. If they don't warranty a frame that snapped in the middle of the tube, that's BS.

·
I'm disrespectful to dirt
479 Posts
In Dan's closeup picture of the break, it looks like the top 2/3s is "old" , in that the metal looks dull and exposed to air for a while. The bottom 1/3 is a fresh break, with shiny aluminum.

It could simply be the photo - did you notice this? If so, you were riding around for a wihle with only 1/3 of the cross section supporting you. (this is my old Materials Failure Analysis training coming out).

BTW - at the Downieville Gathering this year, I came across another FSR rider on the uphill before 2nd & 3rd divide with a break in the exact same spot, chainstay dragging on the ground...

·
Trail Goddess
988 Posts
Know what you mean.

jdubsl2 said:
Someone take my internet away. Not having a bike and seeing all the new rides out there.... oh, man.

The new 575 is hot.
The last time I rode my Spider was at Demo. Trailhead bikes was doing their demo there and one of the guys was nice enough to look at my "noise I couldn't figure out". He told me I probably had broken a bolt and I shouldn't ride until it was fixed. Figures, I finally find an Intense dealer and it's a two hour drive to go to the shop. Guess I'll be heading down there during Christmas break. Hope you hear good news back from Spec. Ogre had zero problems with warrantying his Sugar.

Fiona

·
VRC Illuminati
17,650 Posts
jdubsl2 said:
As you may or may have not noticed, I've been off the bike for a few weeks. I've come up with three good excuses. First, I didn't have a fork. I had it off for repairs. Second, I got an Xbox 360... and it's awesome! And, OK, maybe I was a bit burned out on riding.

HOWEVER!

I got my fork back today. I was like a little kid on Christmas morning. I couldn't wait to get back home, bolt it on and hit the trails. I missed the 9am Gap Epic because I wasn't able to get the fork until noon, but I headed for the Gap anyway. I railed the first section (sweet! man, I love biking!) and crossed the road. I noticed a mustard-yellow 08 Stumpjumper underneath a guy with a Dakine Nomad pack on and knew it must be Dan. "Mr. Dan!" We chit chat a little bit about my fork and I continue up the hill.

On the next uphill section of fireroad, I stood up to jam to the top when the rear of my bike feels funny and my tire is rubbing on something. Great, a flat! "Oooh, that sucks" says the rider next to me. What sucks? I got a flat? Oh well... could be worse!

Yes, it could! And it was. My chainstay snapped in half and was pointed toward the ground like a kickstand. RIDE OVER.

I walked (wow, boring) back to the car. It sucked. It took forever. But, I made it.

The bike is at the shop. Only time will tell how this pans out... there are some rumors about this not being covered at one end. And a couple of other sources that say it is covered. Screwy.

Hopefully Dan will have photos to share, later.

Have fun riding the dirt tomorrow!

(Anyone wanna go on a road ride w/ me? Page Mill/280 to Old La Honda/Alpine/Page Mill loop?)

Justin
Oh, that was you?! Haha.

Brutal break...at least there was no catastrophic failure causing harm to you.

I was at the shop when you brought the bike in.

Hollister and Jakub (at Calmar) are also MTBR'ers. Good guys in that shop.

·
Surly OG
977 Posts
JustJeff said:
In Dan's closeup picture of the break, it looks like the top 2/3s is "old" , in that the metal looks dull and exposed to air for a while. The bottom 1/3 is a fresh break, with shiny aluminum.

It could simply be the photo - did you notice this? If so, you were riding around for a wihle with only 1/3 of the cross section supporting you. (this is my old Materials Failure Analysis training coming out).

BTW - at the Downieville Gathering this year, I came across another FSR rider on the uphill before 2nd & 3rd divide with a break in the exact same spot, chainstay dragging on the ground...
Bingo!!!

we have a winner - the material is crystalized - that part is a cold forged stamping welded to the chainstay - likely bad material and not inherent poor design.

SPC at the factory does'nt x-ray all the parts, some bad ones slip through.

I'm willing to bet the casting got through qc, then the lack of scrutiny while performing routine cleaning allowed the condition to progress to catastrophic failure.

Specialized - has probably already modified their qc process, maybe even adding more material, or modifying the matrix of their alloy.

Bummer dude, sorry you broke your bike.

I ride a Blur LT. :thumbsup: built like a subaru, the cheap parts break before the structure does, then you replace the cheap bits and ride on.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Loved my '99 FSR Elite (MAX frame intended for hard riding), but those earlier chainstays were even worse. I broke mine twice before the 2002 (or 03?) stay was redesigned. That last stay held together until I started cracking the frame in other places in 05. Now I'm riding an 04 Titus Quasi Moto (same intent as the El Guapo) and love it.

Brings back found memories of my old FSR whenever I see broken chainstays :)

My FSR was purchaced new from my LBS and the stays were warrantied without issue. Later I was given a crash replacement deal on the frame when the bb area and seat tube collar area developed cracks.

Gool luck with your situation.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts