CC 40
XT brakes; 8" front rotor, 7" rear
XT front hub, Zee rear, i25's, Wheelsmith 14/16, brass nips
2.4" HR2, 2.3" DHF, both exo
KS LEV DX 150 mm
Chromag Trailmaster (ass-stain brown)
Tubine 170 cranks with Canfield Ultimates; 30T ring
MRP fish taco
XTR rear mech, XTR cassette, XTR shifter (10 speed)

32 pounds on the bathroom scale.

I love the bike. It pedals great on the flats and smooth ups, very capable tech climber, very natural/easy to ride in high speed corners. Yeah it's heavy but what-ev.

Looking for a 150-160 trail bike had me researching the usual suggestions. Problem is that I need a sub 17.5" seat tube to get the dropper low enough to get the seat out of the way of my hamstrings (which usually means a sized medium) but I need an ETT of a large (6' even in socks, non-mutant proportions). I thought a Warden might work (medium) but it didn't. Just too short. And I really have tried to accept a seat tube longer than 17.5" but I hate them, so much so that it's a deal breaker.

The Megadeth in medium has an 18" seat tube but after an e-mail to GG and with Will consulting with the fabricator, for an additional $400, I could have a size medium with a size small seat tube. Totally worth it. And safer than me taking a hacksaw to a 18" one.

My other bike was a HT (now a rigid) and I'm very happy with lack of bob with the MT. 30T helps a bit and if I stand, it will bob some, but very acceptable for the class of bike; which means not enough to irritate me. That's with sag set at 30% F and R with only factory settings on both (haven't started tuning yet) in Trail mode. Very excited about trying Super Trail.

Two important things about the bike. It climbs steep tech better than the Warden for me. At least with the Warden running a single front ring, which I think might be a problem with inducing squat with hard pedal efforts. Makes it tough to get up and over bigger ledges. With the MT, pedal kicks cause forward movement; not HT-esq but close enough for 150 mm of travel. The other is cornering. No weird body movement was needed to stay centered/balanced between the wheels. Just stay in a normal position, tip the bike and enjoy Maxxis side knobs. Perhaps the body movement (rearward) that I'm used to doing is because I was riding a too small bike but as I said, 17.5+" is a deal breaker and the HT I was on was a custom, hand built AM HT running a 140 Pike (29"), so it should have been good.

The one thing that took actual effort with the bike was REALLY slow, very tight turns, through steep rock chunk. Need to hold on to the bars tight for it. This was not a surprise.

This review so far is based on smooth trails, loose over hard, really loose over loose, chunky rock sections with drops. No baby heads/rock gardens or sizeable jumps yet.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Nice write up man.

I feel the same about my 32 lb. Kona process that you feel about the GG. For a long travel, heavy duty AM steed, pinching grams isn't really my concern.

The GG wasn't really on my radar when I was looking for a new bike, but knowing what I know now, it definitely would have been on the short list.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Sick bike! I recently saw one of these up close (a friends bike; he's digging it) and the frame seemed to be really well made.

·
Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
311 Posts
Those are two sick looking builds....I could not be happier with mine. I'm not much of a numbers guys, reach/stack etc....but my size Large Megatrail fit perfect. Mine is 31 #'s even and the only time I notice the weight is putting it in the truck. You don't notice on the trail. I'll echo the sentiment that it is a very capable climber and the pedal bob is very minimal. The only change I made was to ditch the CC Inline and go with the DBAir.
I ride mine everywhere easy loops with the kids, XC, AM, fireroads......its great....Put it in gravity mode and go to the Park, it really comes alive and the change is very noticeable.

GG post purchase customer support is top notch.....When my inline wasn't cutting it, they shipped me a DBAir at a very fair price. I ask alot of questions regarding the bike and always have had a prompt professional reply. I can't see the need to replace this bike for a long long time....

Love the clip......"Heavy is good......If it doesn't work, you can always hit him with it.."

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks for the review. This bike is on top of my short list of do-it-alls to replace my Enduro.

The list really is the Megatrail and the Canfield Balance, in case anyone was wondering.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Thanks for the review. This bike is on top of my short list of do-it-alls to replace my Enduro.

The list really is the Megatrail and the Canfield Balance, in case anyone was wondering.
I had the same list. Two great companies, two great bikes. Ultimately, adjustable geo, top tube length, and (less so) being made here put the MT over the top for me. I'm sure the Balance is a great bike, but I've been really happy with how the MT feels.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its funny, because a friend of mine just picked up my MT to test out. He has a Canfield The One. he's planning on selling it for either a MT or a balance. seems to be par for the course.
I am confident the MT will win out. they are both excellent bike, but come on this is a MT appreciation thread, I know what he will pick!

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been a bit lazy in trying any settings other than trail because everything's been working so well for the area I ride in. At a friend's urging, who's on the fence for a MT, I put it in Super Gravity today.

The bike looks lower, slacker, meaner. Ready for bidness. I have the rear suspension at about 20% sag in trail and the Pike in front feels balanced with that. In SG, the rear is definitely more plush, way more than the Pike now. Under ~8 mph, the steering is a bit floppy compared to trail, but as speed goes up, the bike becomes very stable and confidence inspiring. One of the things I really liked about the Warden was the way it took high speed turns. It felt like ice skates. In SG mode, the MT now has that feeling too. Pedal bob is now more than before (i.e. trail mode), but still a ton less than the Warden. Sit and spin keeps it acceptable but standing and stomping will induce an irritating amount of bob. Not a surprise really. And an acceptable trade off for the benefits of SG. I did have a couple more pedal strikes today and 2 new dents on my bash, all due to the lower BB of SG mode. Climbing traction was also slightly better that trail but doing short sprints to get up ledges was worse. Less pop. Tight, slow tech did have me struggling compared to trail more and track stands are more difficult as well.

The bike's going to stay in SG for the foreseeable future because it's just so much fun and I believe that to a large degree, the negatives are something I'll get used to. Really hoping to take it to Angle Fire or Pajarito this fall and see how it handles DH.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts