Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lair of the bear, just starting out, on the creekside trail, taking it nice and easy, as there were a few people and dogs out, making sure not to scare or intemidate anyone or their animals, ( i have that potential, 255lbs on a big red bike)
I look up the trail, see a mom and 2 children, all three are on my side of the trail, so I slow to about 7-9 mph and move to my left to pass, one of the children, a small boy moves left in front of me, I slow down even more, thinking that the boy has begun to panic, as he has moved directly in front of me, not I am about 12 ft away and barely moving, I start to move back to my right, and the kid moves in front of me, I am in one of my best trackstands now, and try to move back to my left, and he matches me, zig for zag. This kid is not in a panic, he is messing with me, hopping back and forth in front of me. The mom is curiously quiet, just calling his name as if he is late for dinner.
we finally pass each other, so slow that I am sure my computer did not ever register a speed, and I pass him and he throws an arm and leg my way.
The mom seemed not to be concerned, that kid could have gotten hurt, with his last lunge toward me, I was concerned about him getting caught in my rear wheel or chain.
If I knew that he would have behaved like that, I would have just stopped and waited for them to pass, but this was a first, never had a kid behave like that, and on top of that, the mom did not seem to care.

so, it the kid had gotten hurt, who do you think would have caught the wrath of the public?
sure as heck would not be the "innocent" kid.

·
Registered
410 Posts
That is a crazy story. I would have asked the mom to control her kid. But since that obviously caught you off guard as it would me I might have done exactly what you did. Crazy, darn kids.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Bikes yield to hikers, regardless of how slow you think you're going. Each situation is different but after the first "zig" why didn't you just let them pass? It's a kid, they are unpredictable.

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jugdish said:
Bikes yield to hikers, regardless of how slow you think you're going. Each situation is different but after the first "zig" why didn't you just let them pass? It's a kid, they are unpredictable.
I do not wish to be viewed as confrontational, but I strive to follow the rules, knowing that as a biker, I am yield to all other users, pullling over and stopping to provide enough room to the other user to pass, but this section of the trail was over 8ft wide, which has always provided enough room to pass, giving each a wide berth.
This was not a flame targetted at the kid or his mom, nor did I intend for this to be read as a rant, I even gave a sincere "thank you, have a great day" as I passed the mom.

it was a unusal experiece, just thought I would share.

·
bacon! bacon! bacon!
12,440 Posts
I agree with jugdish. Just stop, let them pass, then be on your way. Kids are almost as bad as unleashed dogs on trails, as far as being a hazard goes...

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
SkaredShtles said:
I agree with jugdish. Just stop, let them pass, then be on your way. Kids are almost as bad as unleashed dogs on trails, as far as being a hazard goes...
I will modify my behavior going forward as suggested, stopping completely is the safest for all involved.

I just found the encouter to be a bit odd, having the kid intentionally mess with me and the casual response from the mom, that is all.

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
This PC world we live in. btadlock was telling us a story, which the moral of the story was that many parents these days dont care how their children behave, hence why the world will suffer with all this constant PC over the top BS.......................

·
Now with 20% more fat!!
2,031 Posts
"That kid is back on the escalator again! I hope next time his pants get caught and a bloodbath ensues! Now, don't get me wrong. I don't wish harm on the child, but his mother should suffer that horrific ordeal so she can learn how to manager her child!" - Brodie

I do agree with jugdish that you should yield to hikers and children. I'm just tired of stupid parents making even stupider and more oblivious offspring. Some people are Darwin Awards waiting to happen....

·
I don't do PC
7,401 Posts
The kid was being a brat, I would of spoke up personally to either the kid or the mom, Whafe is right, the level of PCness nowadays makes me want to barf.

·
Perpetual slow motion
480 Posts
JSD303 said:
"That kid is back on the escalator again! I hope next time his pants get caught and a bloodbath ensues! Now, don't get me wrong. I don't wish harm on the child, but his mother should suffer that horrific ordeal so she can learn how to manager her child!" - Brodie

:cornut: :cornut: Best movie quote I've seen on the boards in awhile. JSD303, classic!

Fly fatass, fly!

disclaimer: This quote not directed at original poster

·
The Notorious S.L.O
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ban'd4life said:
Fly fatass, fly!

disclaimer: This quote not directed at original poster
That made me laugh, good thing I am on the tall side, or @ 255 I could certainly qualify for that descriptor! :D

·
Inflexable...
1,901 Posts
You should have at least accelerated toward him at high speed and then j-stopped spewing rocks and debris all over him...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Finally, some sensible responses to a sensible post. Anyone rational person who spends anytime on the Pearl Street Mall, for example, realizes how very few people are qualified to become parents.

·
nice marmot.
241 Posts
i would have stopped and yielded and smiled to the little freak with his careless mother and then proceed up the trail stopping 75 yards later to turn around and bomb down the trail screaming bloody murder upon approaching and then stop with a dramatic skid ending up inches from the clan and politely say to the little devil "kid if you do that again i'm gonna kill santa and the easter bunny, now, have a nice day." mmmm... now that's trail etiquette.

·
Shread Ready
1,287 Posts
Dude, that kid is annoying but most are IMO. No kids in my future. I'll just enjoy my friends kids :p .. ANyways, I would stay Far away for Lair o the Bear for any moutain biking. Theirs always tons of people all over that place.

·
Registered
317 Posts
rroeder said:
The kid was being a brat, I would of spoke up personally to either the kid or the mom, Whafe is right, the level of PCness nowadays makes me want to barf.
No **** huh?

I personally would have told mom that she needs to learn to control her kid before others start doing it for her.

·
starladear
379 Posts
I would of plowed one of those kids over if their were 3 kids. That would teach those TT overpopulating dirtbags.

·
Living the High Life
4,542 Posts
Renegade said:
leash laws ought to apply to more than just dogs
word....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts