Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding the Avalanche trail at Olde Rope Mill on 8/3 and I went down this dip and I guess I got "grabbed" by some branches sticking into the trail and they sent me straight into a tree. No time to react. Planted my face into the tree. The helmet provided protection and I wear some cheap sport glasses which protected my eyes. But the frame got pushed into my face and made a nice gash. I was dripping blood. I lost my prescription lens insert too. And my rear shifter body broke off it's mount.

So I was sitting where I landed and used my handkerchief to soak up blood. It was just over my right eyebrow. Well my sweatband was good to put over it and close the wound somewhat. So after I got my senses back I walked back the way I came about 2 miles or so to get back to my car. Most of the riders that saw me asked if I was OK and I told them what happened. So I made it back, cleaned up a little and looked at myself in the car's mirror and saw what happened. I got home, showered and changed into my street clothes and drove to the hospital emergency room (about 3 minutes from home) and got 6 stitches. Well that's my story.

·
Cycologist
10,337 Posts
Yikes! That sounds bad.

I didn't make it out this weekend, well, I'm not counting Friday when I took the CX out after work, riding along the river in Roswell. First time I haven't ridden on the weekend in a long, long time. I had planned to ride today but we had a big rain last night and I've got a really bad saddle soar and decided I should not ride rather than aggravating it. Sorry, probably tmi.

Anyway, heal up ZW.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Replace your helmet. Remember, they're built to be one and done. Meaning, even if it looks ok, if you hit it, replace it.

Glad you're ok. 6 stitches? Sounds like it could've been considerably worse.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone. I just ordered a new SRAM GX 10 speed rear shifter to get my bike going again. Although I do have my old bike as a backup. I also have to bleed my front brake. The banjo fitting got pushed horizontally and kinked the line. So later that day I loosened it to straighten it out and some fluid leaked out because I didn't turn the bike upside down. So I'll bleed it today. I've done that before, it's pretty easy. But I think I'll skip this upcoming weekend for a ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.