Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Little background... I am from the Boston area and came out to the santa cruz area for a few days of riding. Keep in mind the northeast were I ride is pretty flat. The biggest climb I have done is maybe 3 minutes long?

Saturday I landed and my buddy and I went for a ride a Nisene Marks in Aptos (i think?), we did a quick hour ride before it got dark- really flowy trail alot of fun and the biggest climbs I have done/seen ever.

Sunday we hit Demo and rode pretty much every trail there, about 3.5 hours worth. I was blown away by the climbs, they were brutal. The downhill trails were just amazing however, so much longer than what I normally ride.

On monday I headed out alone to Big Basin, I got a late start and didn't get the the park until noon. I asked the park ranger for a map and advice on trails, he kinda just pointed at the map and said take the gazos creek road loop. I should have paid more attention and asked some questions at this point-

I started down las gazos creek, pretty boring, but some decent climbs and descents all on fireroad. I thought the idea of riding to the ocean and back to the park would be pretty cool. After about 7 or 8 miles the trail started really going downhill for a long time, I was cranking alone when i realized just how much elevation I had lost, and how much I would have to climb back up! The road went down hill all the way until the ocean, which was a nice break. I did not want to climb the boring fireroad all the way back to the park so I headed down highway 1 a bit, looking for a trail that I could take back to the park.

I stopped at the ranger station and asked the ranger what the quickest way back to the park was, I was about 24 miles in at this point and was pretty beat. He said that the skyline to the sea trail was the most direct route, another 12 miles or so. The first portion of the trail went well, until it became super steep and unrideable. I ended the day pushing the bike for over 2 hours, blahhh.

Total- 7 hours, 35 miles, and 3,800ft of climbing

Sunday in Demo

My buddy Mike going for it

halfway through the big basin ride

I'm not having alot of fun at this point

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Skyline to the Sea trail?

A ranger told you to ride this?!! Was it all singletrack?

As far as I know that is one of the most illegal riding trails out there. You are stoked if a ranger told you to ride it, free pass for sure. Next time go down this way to the ocean.

Happen to get that rangers name? I would love to throw out a "ranger X told me I could ride this!".

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ARider said:
A ranger told you to ride this?!! Was it all singletrack?

As far as I know that is one of the most illegal riding trails out there. You are stoked if a ranger told you to ride it, free pass for sure. Next time go down this way to the ocean.

Happen to get that rangers name? I would love to throw out a "ranger X told me I could ride this!".
I think the ranger saw I was pretty beat when I told him I just want to get back before dark. I didnt actually ride much of the trail, just pushed. I couldn't beleive anyone could ride the whole thing, at one point there is a steep rock face with foot holds carved out so you can hike up. Hiking while carrying a bike was less than fun.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,259 Posts
Woah! What an adventure. Thanks for posting the details - must have been fun, but I bet you're glad it's over. :) Yeah, riding around here is like that - you get all stoked rushing downhill until the reality sets in...

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Boston...I just left the area a few weeks ago...I'm from Baltimore and got lucky enough to spend 5 months out there, so near the end was getting into shape...and brother it is paying off now...feel real strong climbing our "hills" around here...going to have to find a way to do the same thing every year....:)

Ed

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.