Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after years of having multiple bikes.... and when I go ride mtn - I always take the SS - my nearly new and neglected full XTR 2004 Giant NRS Air is going to be parted out and not replace with another dually geared bike... nope - just gonna ride the SS.

I'm pretty proud of myself... this will be a good test of my strength and rideability... I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I know many of you already do this - but this was a very big step for me. I've always had a dual suspension bike since 1997. But when the latest and greatest Dually I have just sits - it's such a waste - somewhere someone else can enjoy it and some day they may turn the SS....

I'm outta here to go rip apart the Giant and get it out of here!!

FF

·
Registered
885 Posts
Join the club...

Fred! It's been awhile now for me. I did try to build up that freeride hardtail last season, but only rode it twice off road, just never liked it.

I did end up renting in Moab instead of taking the singlespeed. I felt bad about it, but I just didn't have enough time to get my bike shipped out.

It was interesting to ride a geared, suspension bike again. Man chain slap sucks. I had fun anyway!

Here's a shot of my chainslapping rental bike. See if you can guess the trail Mr. Freddy...

Fast Freddy said:
after years of having multiple bikes.... and when I go ride mtn - I always take the SS - my nearly new and neglected full XTR 2004 Giant NRS Air is going to be parted out and not replace with another dually geared bike... nope - just gonna ride the SS.

I'm pretty proud of myself... this will be a good test of my strength and rideability... I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I know many of you already do this - but this was a very big step for me. I've always had a dual suspension bike since 1997. But when the latest and greatest Dually I have just sits - it's such a waste - somewhere someone else can enjoy it and some day they may turn the SS....

FF

Attachments

·
Registered
459 Posts
Fast Freddy said:

FF
Freddy,
I sold my geared bike 2 years ago, It sat collecting dust for about a year and a half before that. I have not even thought about riding gears since. You will be fine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Although my current EBB SS does have a der hanger, I've been in SS mode for about a year - since my my geared FS bike was stolen. I put a few rides on its insurance-bought replacement, but then sold that to pay for the current custom Waltworks frame (and a good bit of money in the bank!).

The big question though will be what to do on an upcoming Moab/Fruita trip. I heard that one of the Moab shops rents out 5-Spots for $45/day. That's kinda tempting! S

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Edit to the above: Slickrock Cycles rents 6-Packs for $47/day or a Norco Atomik for $40/day! Hmmm... Moab + 6-7" of front and rear travel + someone else's bike = quite tempting! S

·
34N 118W
2,246 Posts
don't be gentle...

DSR said:
Edit to the above: Slickrock Cycles rents 6-Packs for $47/day or a Norco Atomik for $40/day! Hmmm... Moab + 6-7" of front and rear travel + someone else's bike = quite tempting! S
its a rental!

I'll be in Moab next week with my SS (the ONLY mtn bike in my stable of 8 right now). However I'm tempted to rent a fully/gearie for a day. Y'know....just to remember what they rode like. :D Better than a hardtail for Porc. Rim?

congrats on the commitment FF.

HW

·
Registered
885 Posts
Well...

the trail begins with a P alright...

When I was climbing up Porc Rim here comes Tom Ritchey down on a full rigid geary with no helmet on! Man he was flying.

I wouldn't think Porc rim would be that much fun on a rigid bike, unless your forearms are made of steel.

MC

Hollywood said:
its a rental!

I'll be in Moab next week with my SS (the ONLY mtn bike in my stable of 8 right now). However I'm tempted to rent a fully/gearie for a day. Y'know....just to remember what they rode like. :D Better than a hardtail for Porc. Rim?

congrats on the commitment FF.

HW

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Horses for courses

I like my single but for certain rides my geared dually works better. I occasionally ride with a group of friends who do mostly technical up and down riding. The single just isn't as fun because you end up pushing the bike up instead of riding the tech stuff trying to clean it. I guess it depends on where you live and what terrain you ride.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Been thinking...

of doing the same myself.

Problem is my two geared mtn. bikes (A '99(8?) Specialized M2 hardtail, and '00 Marin Mt. Vision Pro dually), are probably worth practically 'nil due to their age, even though they were relatively high-end bikes when purchased, so it'd hardly be worth it to sell them.

The Marin really is a fun ride and I'd enjoy the occasional fully-suspended/geared romp every once in a while if I'd ever get around to overhauling/reassembling it. This is probably blasphemy in this forum, but I think in places like Gooseberry, Moab or other places with more technical terrain (Like gondola runs @ Mammoth) some gears and a little bit of F&R suspension can really add to your enjoyment of the trails.

That said, I'm not sure I have any reason to hold on to the geared hardtail. A loaner maybe? I could always ENO-ize it and make it into another singlespeed. Hmm, matter of fact it'd probably be even lighter than my Surly if I did so. Race bike?

I can count on one hand the number of times since Aug. of '03 (When my FS Marin was shipped home in a box after completing the Great Divide.) that I've riddden a geared bike off-road, so I see little need to keep 'em around. I just have a pack-rat mentality when it comes to bikes...

If I thought I could sell the two geared bikes for enough to pay for a nice free-ride rig (One of those that's just on the verge of full-on downhill bike, but not quite. I.E. something I can still pedal up the hills but has 6-8" of cush travel for the downhill.), than I'd probably do it. But I doubt that's anywhere near within the price-range of what I could get on the used market for two 5+ year-old bikes.

-Trevor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.