Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forging Elite Awesomeness
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a long time coming but I've finally made the last payment on my bike and it's all mine! It took 6 months on a high school student p/t work budget, which isn't bad but it still seemed too long to watch it hang up at the shop. It's a 05' S-works Epic Disc, one of the few here in Canada so I hear. Here's what I've changed/added from stock if your interested...

Stan's NoTubes Sealant
ODI oury lock-on grips
Chris King headset (pewter)
M960 XTR rear mech.
Shimano M959 pedals
Sigma BC1600 cordless

it's added some weight, round the 25lbs range now but I'd like to some adventure racing so it's not a huge deal to me.

Sorry about the pic it's a bit blurry and lacks some mud.

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's mine (too!)

Hey buddy.....I've got mine too.

All I've added was the Shimano M959 pedals and a Cateye computer.

Basically the same price as yours....give or take a couple bucks.....so I don't feel like I was taken....seems to be the going price....it was listed at 7500.00 but they were easy to talk to. ( I bought my last bike from them)

Had it for less then three hours...already got 50kms on it. Came in to warm up and get a bite too eat.....it'll see 100 kms before the night is done. :)

Couple of quick questions.....the specialized site said it came with......

"Chain stay/seat stay protector, derailleur protector, seatpost water bottle mount, reflectors, owners manual"

Did you get any of this.

I've got a Chainstay protector.....whats a seat stay protector?
No Derailler protector? What the hell is that?
No Water bottle mount.
No reflectors......didn't want em....
A very generic manual and a Fox front shock manual.

Also does yours have the big black disc behind the cassette? Clear....none?

Fisrt hand reviews great so far......slower up hills then my heavy 30+ pounds....bike....but.....I think once I get use to the different riding style.....I'll kick my own ass! Damn strange feeling when you come hard out of a really bumpy section and the suspension firms right up hard and bang.....your gone.....

The intregrated brakes/shifters is new to me....missed a few shifts...ok lots..of shifts...but I'll get used to that fast. :)

Have fun, Kalvin

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
SJ05 said:
absolutely! money was meant to be spent and I'm told you can't take anything with ya when ya die

nice ride!!!
I am a firm beleiver that money should indeed be spent, but personally, if I was still in high-school, I would have never spent that kind of money on that type of a bike unless I was actually racing or I was extremely rich.

I can see someone buying a Demo because that bike is about durability and handling, but the Epic is about weight (or lack thereof) and speed; I just don't see the point of buying a super light high quality bike for a high-school kid (unless you are racing).

I didn't mean to offend you guys, they are beautiful bikes, but coming from my 27 year old perspective, I probably would have gone for one of the lower end epics.

Pedro

P.S: I know I am going to burn for the above comments on this forum.

·
Complete Bastard
2,282 Posts
It's his money, who cares how he spends it. In your oh-so-ancient 27 year old perspective I'm sure it makes sense to you. But, he doesn't have kids, rent, car payments, etc. This is the one time in his life he can buy something like that and not have to justify it to someone. Besides, he could be blowing it on drugs.

Kalvin: the seatstay protector is a little strip of clear on the bottom of the drive side seat stay. The derailleur protector is a little rubber job that sticks on the knuckle to keep the derailleur from banging the pivot point. Most shops omit it. The seatpost mount for a waterbottle is a thing that clamps around your seatpost and is a waste. You have to have the seatpost clamp with the lower bolt anyhow and most of the ones this year don't. Might be left over advertising from 2 years ago. The manual is generic, yes. I guess they figure if you know how to ride it's superfluous.

·
Registered
118 Posts
mward said:
It's his money, who cares how he spends it. In your oh-so-ancient 27 year old perspective I'm sure it makes sense to you. But, he doesn't have kids, rent, car payments, etc. This is the one time in his life he can buy something like that and not have to justify it to someone. Besides, he could be blowing it on drugs.

Kalvin: the seatstay protector is a little strip of clear on the bottom of the drive side seat stay. The derailleur protector is a little rubber job that sticks on the knuckle to keep the derailleur from banging the pivot point. Most shops omit it. The seatpost mount for a waterbottle is a thing that clamps around your seatpost and is a waste. You have to have the seatpost clamp with the lower bolt anyhow and most of the ones this year don't. Might be left over advertising from 2 years ago. The manual is generic, yes. I guess they figure if you know how to ride it's superfluous.
I guess you do have a point on spending money on the bike is still better than spending it on drugs.

I guess I should be a little more supportive to a fellow cyclist supporting the cycling economy...

·
Forging Elite Awesomeness
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mward, brilliant minds think alike. Like you said, doubtful I'll be able to afford such a nice bike for a long time (if ever) but I don't see a time where I can blow 7 grand like that again (and not feel guilty).

kalvin, mine came with all those things but I never got that big black cassette guard (does it protect the chain from slipping behind cassette?) so I can only assume it never came with it or my shop took it off. Yeah the dual-control is new to me too but I did take those fugly thumb paddles off, did you? I'm heading out to ride the whistler region this summer (july) maybe I'll make a stop in calgary and we'll rip it up. P.S. hope that cateye was less of a bugger to install than my sigma!

Pedro, I race.

·
We want... a shrubbery!
550 Posts
Congrats on the bike!!! Was that price in Can or US dollars? (If US, seems inflated to me...) But yea, I'm a 2nd year in college, and I just finished building my bike--an S-Works epic. However, I was able to save $2700 US by shopping around for deals (forked out $3000 US for everything) on the different parts. I wasn't able to get the fork I wanted (found a really really good deal on a Psylo Race) but I figure I can upgrade that in the next year. But yea, I work part-time driving a transit bus at my university, and I've spent this rediculous amount of money for what many consider to be no reason at all. However, what I do, I do to make myself happy--not to appease the likes of others. I enjoy mountain biking and I look forward to start racing this season.
But yea, to you fellow college guys out there, make sure you lock up those babies--my previous bike, a '99 FSR XC Stumpjumper Pro that I ended up putting $2600 into altogether (got the bike from a fella who raced for Specialized--he had that bike while he was wairing for his custom bike from 'em...) was stolen while I was turning in some work for a professor; yea, it wasn't locked, but I thought that 5 minutes outside the building would be fine. My really expensive idiotic mistake. But, I won't be letting this bike out of my sights, and it'll be locked while it's even in my room. Oh well, I get my dream bike out of it!

·
Stand back
4,213 Posts
or

mward said:
Figure it this way, I quit smoking in 1997. I figure I've saved 10 grand just by not buying cigarettes. What is the cost of a bike in the face of that? Add increased healthcare costs and all that in, and a bike is cheap in comparison.
he could be into racing mx, in which case he would spend more than that YEARLY. It's all in your perspective...
Good luck racing!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.