Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my bell rung at China Camp yesterday.

I was 'JRA' on the flat singletrack of the coastal trail -- about 2 miles from the end of lap #2 -- feeling good, enjoying the weather, contemplating what I might do with the rest of this fabulous day, when...WWHAM! -- I was taken out by Evil Kinevil. :mad:

I saw Evil approaching and allowed him ample share of the trail, unfortunately Evil needed more than his share of the trail and took me out in the process.

Evil was also 'JRA' when he decided to do one of the "whoop-d-dos" on the shoulder of the singletrack -- however, when he dropped back on to the trail he T-boned me -- all 6'2" of him.

I took a pretty good shot to the head -- about the left ear -- not sure if it was a shoulder or helmet that inflicted the blow. This left me momentarily stunned. It felt like I was out, but standing. Weird. :confused: Resulted in some lingering neck/shoulder pain as well. Also took some abrasion to left forearm that drew blood -- likely a shifter/brake lever wound.

As pissed as I was, I was in no condition to tell the guy how I felt about his antics :mad: besides -- he was 6'2" and could kick my arse even on a good day.

Mrs. Kinevil was also along for the ride and stood there speechless and lifeless -- gotta love that.

So, be careful out there -- it can happen.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,164 Posts
sorry to hear that. Hope you're OK.
Post up details (bike, helmet etc) about dipstick rider so we can keep an eye out for him. Maybe he even reads this site and will get a clue.

·
Old School
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Honestly...

wg said:
Post up details (bike, helmet etc) about dipstick rider so we can keep an eye out for him. Maybe he even reads this site and will get a clue.
I think it was an honest accident. He seemed like an experienced rider. A momentary lack of judgement on his part -- I hope that's the case anyway. Without actually saying "sorry," he was pretty vocal in asking if I was OK.

I couldn't tell you what he looked like (bells were ringing)...but I could tell you what kind of bikes they were riding....(weird what details can stick with a person)

·
Premium Member
4,129 Posts
stripes said:
Sorry to hear that. I've seen that at China Camp and had a lot of close calls there, especially on the Shoreline trail. I think people get a this-is-an-easy-trail syndrome and don't look.
I agree. I have seen two people who have gone off the trail and broken clavicles there along the "easy" shoreline section.

Hope you are feeling better Joe.

·
gimme friction
1,123 Posts
Yup

stripes said:
Sorry to hear that. I've seen that at China Camp and had a lot of close calls there, especially on the Shoreline trail. I think people get a this-is-an-easy-trail syndrome and don't look.
Sections of Shoreline and Bayview are just so darn fast, that even with relatively good sightlines, you're talking about very high combined speeds. We're actually pretty lucky that there is enough room to pass on probably 80 percent of the front-side loop, otherwise I'm sure there would be many more close calls and accidents.

Some of the open sections are OK for speeding, but the tighter turns where the sight is restricted really deserve respect, especially considering all the traffic CC gets.

Hope you are feeling better, Joe!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.