1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed my mind

geolover said:
Excellent choice, craigstr.

Maybe I missed it, but I thought you were getting a Firebird.
I had a firebird on order but several things changed my mind, first was Dave Weagle's comments on the hammerscmidt's negative effects on the Firebird's suspension performance, second was buying a first year production bike, third was that I started wondering if it was "enough" bike for it's intended purpose, finally there was some other stuff that happened that made me decide against it, I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Damn Skippy...Hippy!

craigstr said:
But its freakin too cold to ride, I'm planning on making a few trips down to visit Dom.
We're riding this morning for Sven's 42nd Birthday! A balmy 50* is what we are expecting. It's still too cold for Sven! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Million dollar question right now

Dominator13 said:
Hammerschmidt, when???
The few online shops that have them on their sites say they will be available on Jan.15, hopefully our guy gets one quickly. I'm a little concerned about the installation. I read on CC's website that they installed one on a RFX and had several problems, first and foremost the baseplate hit the swingarm yoke, secondly the ISCG tabs need to be flush with the bottom bracket so they had to face the BB. I spoke with Knolly and nobody has installed one on a DT yet, they said they followed the sram tech specs to make sure it would be compatible, but they mentioned that the ISCG tabs are recessed 2mm from the bottom bracket shell and warned me DO NOT face the bb shell down flush. Hopefully it will workout well.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
50 would seem like summer to me

Dominator13 said:
We're riding this morning for Sven's 42nd Birthday! A balmy 50* is what we are expecting. It's still too cold for Sven! :rolleyes:
Single digits at our jobsite every morning, warming into the 40's in the afternoon, we strip down to t-shirts it seems so warm.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Partial HS answers

Hey Everyone!

Regarding the HammerSchmidt and the Delirium T:

The Delirium T's ISCG05 tabs are designed exactly within the ISCG05 specification. The specification says that the tabs may ether be flush with the drive side of the BB or recessed by 2.5mm: On the Delirium T they are recessed by 2.5mm. Also, the clocking (rotational) angle is in accordance with the specs as well. So, the Delirium T is fully in spec as far as ISCG05 is concerned.

We haven't had the chance to get a pre-production HS installed on a frame yet, so I can't confirm whether it will mount up without issue or if there will be problems. However, I did have a long talk with a couple of SRAM engineers at Interbike08 a few months ago about the Hammerschmidt and they had a pretty thorough look at both the Delirium T and the V-tach and said that they didn't expect there to be any problems with mounting the HS on those two frames.

So, that is all that I can say regarding mounting the HS on our frames.

Regarding pedalling efficiency, our frames pedal quite well in the granny ring so we should have good pedalling performance with the HS. What people have to remember is that pretty much no frame on the market is designed to pedal "the best" in the granny ring: most frames designed to run two or three chainrings are designed to pedal best in the middle ring. This is done because this is where most riders spend the majority of their pedaling time. It's also done because the further you go away from the best pedalling case, then the worse the pedalling becomes. I.e. if the bike was designed to pedal the best in the middle ring, then it would pedal slightly less well in both the granny and the big rings. however, if it were optimized to pedal best in the granny ring, then it would pedal slightly less well in the middle ring, but even worse in the big ring. By optimizing pedalling for the middle ring, you're essentially splitting the performance difference between the big and granny rings.

There are lots of reasons why NOT to redesign bikes to pedal best in the granny ring, so personally I think that the best solution here is to ensure that our bikes pedal as well as possible in all situations so that they work as well as possible with both the HS as well as with conventional drive trains, especially since a lot of riders are running single ring setups with 32 - 38 tooth chainrings.

Hope that helps - let me know if anyone else has any questions! :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks Noel!

knollybikes.com said:
Hey Everyone!

Regarding the HammerSchmidt and the Delirium T:

The Delirium T's ISCG05 tabs are designed exactly within the ISCG05 specification. The specification says that the tabs may ether be flush with the drive side of the BB or recessed by 2.5mm: On the Delirium T they are recessed by 2.5mm. Also, the clocking (rotational) angle is in accordance with the specs as well. So, the Delirium T is fully in spec as far as ISCG05 is concerned.

We haven't had the chance to get a pre-production HS installed on a frame yet, so I can't confirm whether it will mount up without issue or if there will be problems. However, I did have a long talk with a couple of SRAM engineers at Interbike08 a few months ago about the Hammerschmidt and they had a pretty thorough look at both the Delirium T and the V-tach and said that they didn't expect there to be any problems with mounting the HS on those two frames.

So, that is all that I can say regarding mounting the HS on our frames.

Regarding pedalling efficiency, our frames pedal quite well in the granny ring so we should have good pedalling performance with the HS. What people have to remember is that pretty much no frame on the market is designed to pedal "the best" in the granny ring: most frames designed to run two or three chainrings are designed to pedal best in the middle ring. This is done because this is where most riders spend the majority of their pedaling time. It's also done because the further you go away from the best pedalling case, then the worse the pedalling becomes. I.e. if the bike was designed to pedal the best in the middle ring, then it would pedal slightly less well in both the granny and the big rings. however, if it were optimized to pedal best in the granny ring, then it would pedal slightly less well in the middle ring, but even worse in the big ring. By optimizing pedalling for the middle ring, you're essentially splitting the performance difference between the big and granny rings.

There are lots of reasons why NOT to redesign bikes to pedal best in the granny ring, so personally I think that the best solution here is to ensure that our bikes pedal as well as possible in all situations so that they work as well as possible with both the HS as well as with conventional drive trains, especially since a lot of riders are running single ring setups with 32 - 38 tooth chainrings.

Hope that helps - let me know if anyone else has any questions! :)

Cheers!
I found the installation instructions online:
http://www.magicmechanics.com/hammerschmidt/download/HammerSchmidt_UserManual.pdf
It looks like the offset wont be a problem as they provide spacers for that instance, sounds like a complicated install. Noel, can you tell me wether the BB was faced at the factory?
Another question I had is where can I get a T-shirt and hat?

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Well, here goes

TiEndo said:
Awesome bike Craigstr.......did you ever list a full build spec for your new bike????? Fork, Wheels.????
Knolly Delirium T large black ano DHX-Air
Float 36 RC2 1.5
Cane Creek XX
Gravity 60mm x 10* DH stem
Syncros Bulk Riser bar 1.5" rise, 28" wide
Magura Louise BAT with venti rotors 160 rear, 203 front
Peaty Lock ons
Sram X-9 shifters and short cage der.
Hammerscmidt All Mountain 175's
Shimano DX 646 pedals
Sram 970 cassette
XT chain
Fezarri Remote seatpost
Woodman Deathgrip clamp
Selle Italia NT 1 saddle
Halo Freedom discs laced to Halo spin doctor front, fire-eye excellerant rear with 10mm QR axle, brass nipples straight guage spokes.
Maxxis Advantage 2.4 Maxxpro F/R, converted tubeless with Maxxis strips and stan's sealant
Target weight 35 lbs.

I have everything en-route to me except the hammerschmidt, I should have everything else mid next week. Hoping to get it all put together next weekend. Hopefully I can hit the 35 pound goal although I am a bit nervous after the frame and shock was 10.4 pounds

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hey Craigstr:

I would not face the BB shell: as it is, it should be pretty much exactly 2.5mm offset from the ISCG05 tabs, so there should be no need to face it. It is machined in the same operation as the tabs are, so they should be very accurate.

Remember than many frames have the ISCG tabs welded onto the BB shell: this can give pretty big alignment errors and this is probably a major reason why SRAM wants customers to at least check the alignment of these tabs.

You should be good to go with the spacers provided. However, like I said, we haven't personally installed one of these before, so you'll probably be among the first to put one on a Delirium T - definitely let us know how it goes!

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Really nice build but 35lbs will be tough weight to reach.

My build is on the "lightweight" side of what the DT is designed for and I am pushing about 36lbs.

Thats with a large DT w/ powdercoat
DHX air
Hope hubs laced to DT5.1's and dubble butted spokes
XT cranks
Thomson stem and seatpost

Im guessing that with the HS, the slightly heavier wheels, and the adjustable seatpost a more realistic target weight will be between the 37 and 38 mark.

Dont let that put you off though, despite the extra weight, the DT can pedal up just about anything and pedals way better than lighter bikes in the same class.

Keep us up to date on the build and make sure to post pics!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will definately be on the lighter side

flynnet said:
Really nice build but 35lbs will be tough weight to reach.

My build is on the "lightweight" side of what the DT is designed for and I am pushing about 36lbs.

Thats with a large DT w/ powdercoat
DHX air
Hope hubs laced to DT5.1's and dubble butted spokes
XT cranks
Thomson stem and seatpost

Im guessing that with the HS, the slightly heavier wheels, and the adjustable seatpost a more realistic target weight will be between the 37 and 38 mark.

Dont let that put you off though, despite the extra weight, the DT can pedal up just about anything and pedals way better than lighter bikes in the same class.

Keep us up to date on the build and make sure to post pics!
With the Fox Float 36 and tubeless converted tires I think I can get it around 36 pounds, I was thinking 35 but when I found out the frame and shock was 10.4 lbs. I started to have second thoughts on the weight. I went with the all mountain HS which is only about 100 grams heavier than a triple crankset, front der, and the extra chain you can remove, only about a 1/4 to 1/3 lb. penalty.

·
Registered
13,211 Posts
Come on Hammerschmidt!!! SRAM needs to get one of these babies delivered to you ASAP so we can see this completed build.

Good call on the Ferrazi/Kind adjustable post. These look like just what I've been hoping for. All the advantages of the Speedball/Joplin but with a functional seat clamp and 5" of adjustment.

Very interested to see how you like the HS.

I know you'll love the D-T.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.