Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wonder if you have ever heard of this...

I noticed my wheel was pretty badly out of true. I was on my way to work, dropped it off at the lbs and then they called me and asked me if I was sitting down. My wheel wasn't just out of true, a spoke had pulled thru the hub of my CK hub. I wish that I had taken a photo, but a 90degree chunk of metal had pulled from the spoke hole all the way out to the flange. My lbs seems to think this is warrantied thing, but no one at any bike shop or anyone that I know has ever had any problem with the King hubs. LBS thinks I will be running in 10 days.

So then they are cutting the spokes out of the wheel to send it CK, and when they pulled the rim strip off the Salsa DelGado there is a crack running about 1/2 the way around the inside of rim.

I am going to bag the salsas and go with bontrager mavericks...they are in stock at the LBS, but I wonder if I shouldn't get something else yet. Any thoughts?

BTW...I am still probably upwards of 240, but my riding is mostly xc.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Suggestion? OK

shark67 said:
i wonder if you have ever heard of this...

I noticed my wheel was pretty badly out of true. I was on my way to work, dropped it off at the lbs and then they called me and asked me if I was sitting down. My wheel wasn't just out of true, a spoke had pulled thru the hub of my CK hub. I wish that I had taken a photo, but a 90degree chunk of metal had pulled from the spoke hole all the way out to the flange. My lbs seems to think this is warrantied thing, but no one at any bike shop or anyone that I know has ever had any problem with the King hubs. LBS thinks I will be running in 10 days.

So then they are cutting the spokes out of the wheel to send it CK, and when they pulled the rim strip off the Salsa DelGado there is a crack running about 1/2 the way around the inside of rim.

I am going to bag the salsas and go with bontrager mavericks...they are in stock at the LBS, but I wonder if I shouldn't get something else yet. Any thoughts?

BTW...I am still probably upwards of 240, but my riding is mostly xc.
I would recommend going back to a 26er. You get better pedaling efficiency and much stronger wheelsets. Have you ever noticed that BMXers really trash their wheels, but miraculously they come out just fine after every landing. The reason is because the smaller the wheel, the stronger it can be built at a specific weight. 29ers may ride smoother, but they only do that until you bend,snap, or crush them. If your bike is setup for discs then maybe you try and run 26ers. They last longer and still ride plenty smoothly if you have a decent fork. If not, then definitely at least go with the bontragers. Eventually, I think they will be building some pretty nice 29 inch wheels that are fairly solid too, but they will probly be a bit heavy. In short, yes I have heard of people having major problems with 29ers. Mikey42186

·
Uhhhhh...
2,894 Posts
mikey42186 said:
I would recommend going back to a 26er. You get better pedaling efficiency and much stronger wheelsets. Have you ever noticed that BMXers really trash their wheels, but miraculously they come out just fine after every landing. The reason is because the smaller the wheel, the stronger it can be built at a specific weight. 29ers may ride smoother, but they only do that until you bend,snap, or crush them. If your bike is setup for discs then maybe you try and run 26ers. They last longer and still ride plenty smoothly if you have a decent fork. If not, then definitely at least go with the bontragers. Eventually, I think they will be building some pretty nice 29 inch wheels that are fairly solid too, but they will probly be a bit heavy. In short, yes I have heard of people having major problems with 29ers. Mikey42186
Uh, i hope your wearing a flame retardant suit.

-TS

·
Registered
50 Posts
Give the bontragers a try. I've had wonderful luck with the salsa delgados myself and I'm 200 lbs. 4 wheels, all 32 hole, cross 3, three of them with king hubs and one with hope. Used for full rigid SS'ing and full suspension. Never had any problems.

Don't listen to the guy about going back to 26". I'll bet that the strength loss from a 29er wheel is marginal. There are plenty of folks on this board who I'm sure thrash wheels worse than I do and if there were serious problems I'm sure we would have heard more about it.

If you aren't already, you could try 36 spoke wheels which only have a very slight weight penalty. Or maybe the Sun Rhyno Lite Rims. The biggest factor is doing the build correctly. Could it be that the tension was too high on your original build?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Shark67, was the spoke that pulled out radially laced by any chance? This is one of the main drawbacks of radial lacing. Because the forces from the spoke are pulling across the thinnest part of the hub flange the hub is more likely to fail in this way when radially laced. With regards to the cracked rim, this can just happen. You are a heavy guy putting those lightweight rims through a lot of fatigue cycles - eventually they will crack. If I were you I would look into a bit more heavy duty rim, preferably with eyelets and sockets like a mavic touring rim or some of the Rigida rims.

Mikey, exactly which part of the wheel failure that Shark 67 has experienced do you feel would have been mitigated by the use of 26" (559) wheels? The pulled-through hub flange - how so? The cracked rim - I would postulate a 559 rim would be more likely to fail in this manner due to (albeit slightly) less material between spoke holes. It is true that a 622 rim built on a hub of the same flange width as an equivalent 559 rim will have less spoke triangulation and theoretically will be less resistant under lateral loads. However, this is not the mode of failure which Shark67 has experienced. Sounds to me like you have a chip on your shoulder about 29" wheels, and will take whatever opportunity you can to shoot them down, regardless of whether your attack has any basis in fact.

Sam

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
more info

To answer a couple of questions from above,

--these were NOT radially laced

--the spoke tension WAS correct--(according to my lbs who had to measure them for the warranty)

--I do have discs and I do use tubes, but I don't know the difference between the mavericks and mustangs, is it just the disc specific thing? or is it the Tubeless thing? the Mavericks are in stock, and 30% less, and only 20 grams more...I would far rather have stronger than lighter wheels-- and I hate watching my bike hang from the ceiling waiting for special order parts for things that I don't need.

--I will NOT go back to 26"

Thanks for everyone's input

·
featherweight clydesdale
1,385 Posts
mikey42186 said:
I would recommend going back to a 26er. You get better pedaling efficiency and much stronger wheelsets.

--Wrong and wrong. A 26" is less efficient and you can always add a few spokes for strength if needed. "Much Stronger"...please...

Have you ever noticed that BMXers really trash their wheels, but miraculously they come out just fine after every landing. The reason is because the smaller the wheel, the stronger it can be built at a specific weight.

--Ever notice how many spokes are on a BMX wheel?

29ers may ride smoother, but they only do that until you bend,snap, or crush them.

--And your vast experience riding a Trek 4500 for 1year tells you this? Oh wait, you had a friend with a low spoke count Bontrager wheel that fell apart...

Eventually, I think they will be building some pretty nice 29 inch wheels that are fairly solid too, but they will probly be a bit heavy.

--nobody claims 29" wheel to be lighter than 26.

In short, yes I have heard of people having major problems with 29ers.

--Interesting, my problem is that I have a $4,000 Ventana collecting dust.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hub photo

Nathan--

I thought of taking a photo, but didn't have my camera when I stopped by the shop and I told them to get it out to CK asap. I will ask them if they took a photo. That was also why I emailed you about what all you were still trying to get rid of. I am still sorta interested in your wheels, but the boss just gave me a ration regarding my bike habit. I guess I will just be on the road bike for a couple weeks...although I could ride her bike...hhmmm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry!

shark67 said:
Nathan--

I thought of taking a photo, but didn't have my camera when I stopped by the shop and I told them to get it out to CK asap. I will ask them if they took a photo. That was also why I emailed you about what all you were still trying to get rid of. I am still sorta interested in your wheels, but the boss just gave me a ration regarding my bike habit. I guess I will just be on the road bike for a couple weeks...although I could ride her bike...hhmmm
This is kinda embarrassing but, that wasn't me that wrote the post. It was my ******** brother who, I promise is on his way to the grave. First of all, I do ride with a guy who loves 29ers and he hasn't had a problem so far. He is also alot faster going back down the trail. Second, I don't have a 29er, so I wouldn't write in on this issue. I thought it was a little wierd this morning when I checked my E-mail and found a post saying "I hope your wearing a flame retardent suit". Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry for my brother's stupidity. For my info, has any else read anything wierd from my screenname. If so lemme know so I can fix it if needs be. I would have to guess that if he figured out my password then this probly isn't the first post he has taken liberty in writing. Oh well, I guess we live and we learn. I'm going to live and my little brother is about two minutes from learning not to [email protected]@k around with my screenname. Again, I'm sorry Shark67. I hope all goes well with your 29's. Happy Trails. Mikey42186

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
29er passions run deep

All else being equal, the rigidity of a wheel will be determined by the triangular shape formed by the hub, spokes, and rim. The wider the base of the triangle, the more rigid the wheel will be. 20" BMX wheels have a nice stable triangle, due to their small diameter and relatively great width at the hub. 29ers will suffer because of their large diameter and narrow hubs.

Sure, they can be beefed up, but they'll always be more vulnerable for a given weight. And that's OK. Our 29er wheels don't have to be the equal (in terms of strength to weight) of their 26" rivals for us to be good people and to enjoy ourselves. 29ers don't have to be better in EVERY respect to be better, right?

DISCLAIMER: I love all bikes and would never consider one format to be 'better' than another for all conditions and riders.

Now, if only we adopted 145 or 160mm as our hub spacing...

·
Who turned out the lights
1,127 Posts
I'm wondering how long you rode on that wheel after the spoke pulled from the hub. The thought being that having one spoke pulled from the hub (and now tensionless) could cause the tension on the opposite side rim and undue amount of tension (or compression, depending on where in the rotation of the wheel), causing the crack. I'm not excusing the rim failure, I'm just speculating as to whether or not it could be a causualty of the hub failure. Where is the crack in the rim relative to the broken hub. Even if your shop completely disassembled the wheel prior to noticing the crack, the stickers on the wheel should face up when the logo on the hub faces up (thereby being on opposite sides of the wheel) if your wheelbuilder really pays attention.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.