Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally caved and bought my FIRST EVER road bike!! I got a Jamis Ventura Sport because I got tired of working so hard trying to push a MTB w/ slicks into the wind. Am I a roadie convert..... NO!!!!! Just a better way to train on the road when the trails are wet and something to do the MS 150 bike rides with. Oh, and an occasional century, like the Civil War Century in MD.
One thing I notice- gearing. When the going got hilly with the MTB and slicks, I dropped down to the 24 tooth gear and spinned it out. The road bike is like a middle ring, big ring and a bigger ring. I've got a 3 pack up front, but the small ring is not so small. The skinnies help a lot and the weight- better (not the lightest though), but it still takes a bit more legs to get up a hill.
This is my first road bike ever. I never owned a curved handle bike ever in my life. It takes a bit to get used to. I am enjoying it, but will never turn to the "Roadie Side", no matter how many times Darth Roader rides by.
Forever a MTBR,
Eric

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
HPilot said:
One thing I notice- gearing. When the going got hilly with the MTB and slicks, I dropped down to the 24 tooth gear and spinned it out....
Forever a MTBR,
Eric
Should try using just the middle ring and big as alot of the hills are climbable in the middle.
As for "forever a MTBR"... when you do your first couple centuries on your new road bike you'll prob want to get into those types of things even more and before you know it your riding the mtb like 20% vs 80% roadbike.... :eek:
;)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Got my...

first road bike 3 weeks ago. i had been riding the mtn bike with slicks on the road for the past year and finally bit the bullet. i have really been enjoying the rd bike and have been on several group rides (which are a blast). i got a 53/39 double crank so the hills are a little tough getting used to compared to my mtn bike gearing, but its just making me stronger. im going ride my normal loop this weekend for the first time since i got the road bike and am interested to see if ill be able to climb the hills in a tougher gear.

congrats and enjoy the road bike.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice! I took the leap too. I've been doing training road rides with a friend who does triatholons on my mtb w/ offroad tires and it's a chore (but fun). I gave in and bought a road bike (Trek 5200) because I'm doing those long rides 3x a week now. Offroad riding will always be number 1 to me but I have to admit pushing it further and faster on those road trips does become addictive. It seems to be helping my offroad riding as well, my endurance seems to be increasing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol!!!

Rthur2sheds said:
if you get the overpowering urge to shave your legs, seek professional help immediately...
Looking to try that new stuff for women that keeps the hair gone longer and you don't have to use a blade!!! :D :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.