Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
dcubed
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wow, just wow. My first MTB race today (Granite bay) I did "upgrade" and race Novice, 2 laps.

I know, I read it 1000 times, don;t start out too fast and blow up... yet, when you are there, it is hard. I was even saying it to myself as I blew up about 3/4 into the first lap. Lost some ground, recovered the rest of the lap then got on a good pace for the second lap.

This was also only my second time on good singletrack, and I will say I flew down it. I remembered my lessons well from riding annandale, weight back, look at where you want to be, not at the huge rock in your way and let go of the brakes. I passed a lot of people on the downhill sections of the single track.

I had one unplanned dismount, 2nd lap, a real steep uphill with rocks at the top, I didnt produce enough speed and my front wheel cemented to the rock... I was carrying enough speed to put me over the bars though :)

I just can't believe how fun it is. I hope I wasn't too much of an obstacle to anyone, I pulled over whenever someone was behind me, and made sure the elites and those smoking fast little 14 year olds could fly by :)

I think I only caused one wreck, passed a female rider right before the 1st sand trap, she could float better than me I guess because as I dismounted, she was still up, except that my dismount ended her ride as she tried to swerve around me. no contact, but I am sure she normally doesn't dismount like that .

Waiting for the final results, I did break the top 100 by a few. I guess that doesnt mean a whole lot since some of you were riding 3-4 laps.

I saw a bunch of photographers, these would be the type that post the pics for sale on websites? Are their certain photographers to look for?

Oh, I ran out of water towards the end of the first lap, good thing they were handing out water at the finish line as you passed for another lap. Is this normal? or should I go up to two bottles, or camel back?

(edit) I just watched my cam video of the 1st lap.. 1st, in my excitement, pushing way to big of a gear up the hills, must remember to spin (My camera does a good job of picking up the whrrrrrr whrrrr of the frame/wheels, I can tell my cadence from it. no other sound is picked up though) #2 new rule.. camle back... stopping 3 times to drink water is not fast.

here is a few pics, and downloading my helmet cam now (had it on the handle bars)

The start

Me just this side of dead (sorry no MTBR Kit, I promised to represent (or embarrass) my new local Bike shop with his new Kit

·
dcubed
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sea Otter was going to be my first race, too, but I decided to get a warm up in, to know what to expect etc.

This course was 12 miles (two loops). There was 247 racers I think (looking at the roster sheet, some of course may not have shown

about 900 feet of climbing, no real long drawn out climbs, very roller coaster like.

They are doing another one on the 24th

·
Scofflaw Mountain Biker
2,730 Posts
Congtrats on your first race! :thumbsup: Yes it is like a strong narcotic, very addicting. :D They really did put on a great race yesterday. The weather was stunning, the trails perfect, and a huge crowd to enjoy it all. For a loop course, they picked out the best six miles Folsom Lake has to offer, great section of single track. I was a fast and furious race!
See you at the MTB Challange #2 !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.