Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
No Clue Crew
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I admit it. I have, on occasion, been less than positive about 29ers. And not without experience. I did ride an On One Inbred as my sole bike for nearly two years. I didn't hate it. I just didn't love it. And, truthfully, I never saw all the benefits that most claim for 29ers.

It just seemed to me, given my size, riding style and the sort of rocky technical trails I ride here in the Phx area, that the 29 should work better than it did. And, in all honesty, the Yeti 575 I've been riding has been a true eye-opener in terms of how a bike should perform.

With all that said, I didn't want my ho-hum 29er experience to be my sole experience. So I just bought an Astrix Monk frame to build up. I got a great deal direct from Astrix and will be piecing together the rest of the build over the coming weeks.

I'm stoked to have a new bike inbound.
d

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Perhaps the steep front end made the 29"er less than it could have been for your type of riding?
The On-One was designed to be a quick slap in the face for those that said a 29"er could not turn into a corner. So, it got a steep head tube angle AND lots of offset. A smooth singletrack maniac. Can't expect that bike to reign the rock gardens, I suppose.

Consider a 100mm fork perhaps to tame the handling, stick to a 39mm offset fork, see how that works.
Good luck with the build!

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Love my Monk. You say you got a great deal direct? Are the closing them out, or was it a demo or some such thing? If you like single pivot bikes, it'll be a nice ride. They aren't the lightest frames, so expect a low 30s lb build, but it'll rip:thumbsup: :D

·
No Clue Crew
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got the frame for $750. It had been a show display, but never ridden (I was told). Hoping to complete the build on a reasonable budget, as I clearly don't NEED another bike. ;)

·
Expert Crasher
6,359 Posts
Blatant said:
My plan is to run a Manitou Minute 120 up front. My understanding is the frame works very well with that fork.
That'll work. I went and checked, shock stroke is 38mm so I don't think a CCDB would work.

Anyway - Astrix makes some good stuff (my old Rook is on the home page) and Ryan is a great guy so enjoy the Monk and please do post some pics when it's done.

·
singletrack bound
3,158 Posts
Just rambling here.....

Alright.....I'm done thinking it over and over....I mean the 29er thing and all.....after being on a steel frame SS hard tail 29er since July this year, I have to say...There is no doubt about it! I'm having the most fun in years of riding! don't think I will be on any 26'ers anytime soon!
OT carry on please......:p

feel better now

·
No Clue Crew
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frame came in today as promised. Really quite a beautiful piece of work. Not sure exactly how I feel about the color, but it is certainly unusual. The box was inspected and approved by my American bulldog puppy for quality assurance.

Packaging was fantastic; frame doesn't have a mark on it. Pretty happy with the deal I got. Manitou and a set of Stan's Flows are en route. Just need to finish finding parts for the build.
d

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
My big friend has a Monk and really likes it. He has a Reba on it and tried it at 100MM. He went back to the 80 MM travel on it. He thought the 100MM setting choppered it out too much. I would think the 120 manitou might be too much for it. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Blatant said:
I think it should work out pretty well at 120 up front...
Hey Blatant,

Glad to see all showed up and passed inspection.

Other Monk riders that I have got to talk with about their long travel set ups have all enjoyed the ride. All that I know have been using the White Brothers 135mm travel forks and have liked the long travel feel and balance from the Monk.

For reference here are some geometry numbers for some various fork travels:

WB 135mm 43offset: 68.7 degrees with 97.8mm trail
Manitou 120mm 47offset: 69 degrees with 92.6mm trail
Rock Shox 120mm 46offset: 69.2 degress with 91.3mm trail
Rock Shox 100mm 46offset: 70.1 degress with 84.5mm trail
Rock Shox 100mm 39offset: 70.5 degress with 91mm trail

I am curious to hear more about your build. It sounds like you are off to a good start and as always we are looking forward to seeing pictures of it when you get it all finished.

Have fun and happy new year.

Ryan

Astrix Sports

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,486 Posts
Blatant said:
I think it should work out pretty well at 120 up front.
All the Monks in our area are being ridden with forks in the 510 A to C class, I can't imagine riding one with an 80mm fork. A: it would be so twitchy, and B: it's a 4.5" AM style rear, why would someone want it to be minimal travel, XC race fast in front anyway?:confused:

Nice pup too BTW:D

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
You might not have "warmed" to the colour yet, but I think it's georgeous :thumbsup: to me it looks like candy apple red :D Nice, ritch and covered with a good few coats of clear :thumbsup: Anyways, please let us know how you think it rides. Very curious how it climbs and how much bob you feel with the high single pivot - Or IS IT? :???:

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
MendonCycleSmith said:
All the Monks in our area are being ridden with forks in the 510 A to C class, I can't imagine riding one with an 80mm fork. A: it would be so twitchy, and B: it's a 4.5" AM style rear, why would someone want it to be minimal travel, XC race fast in front anyway?:confused:

Nice pup too BTW:D
Too big for me to ride and evaluate personally so I just took his word for it. I was surprised when he made the switch back too but he likes the way it handles and he does fine on the downhills. Of course he has the largest size frame which might make it less "twitchy" than the smaller frames using the same fork and travel.
I have used the Reba at both 80mm and 100mm and personally I preferred the 100mm setting. I now run a rigid fork on my dambala SS since I don't like any softness in the front end when climbing out of the saddle. Even with lock out the Reba does mush some.
I don't think 4.5 inches rear travel would be considered all mountain though.
His biggest complaint with the Monk is the rear end is a little flexy and the derailluer will rub on the rear tire when he really honks on it Little ring big cog combo), but then again he is 250 plus pounds.
Overall this has been his favorite bike because of the fit and how plush the rear end feels. He is a sit in the saddle type of guy.

·
Working Man's Toilet
834 Posts
I hope you enjoy the monk- My first 29er experience was similar- had a 29er Fisher Sugar-
it was OK.
Consider changing your gear ratios to a 20t granny and 30t middle (if you have not already) as that replicates a 26er gear ratio and gives you the same pedal "feel".

I would go for a the minute fork BTW I have loved mine.

·
No Clue Crew
7,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the kind words. My wife really loved the color; I'm still lukewarm, but it's pretty irrelevant. It's gonna be dirty shortly.

I can't imagine running an 80mm fork on this frame, but to each his own. To me 4.5 inches of suspension on a 29er platform is a fairly significant amount of travel. Man, can't wait to ride this thing.

Pretty sure it'll be set up as a 2x9 with bash. I really like the SLX crankset on my 575.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.