Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my GF and I went to a park in the city to practice a bit riding. The park is small, but it has a lot of grass (good for the falls) and is fairly flat. I think it was great to have her practice on a controled space (no cars nor other riders who could intimidate her).

I did some changes on her bike. I replaced the stock stem (maybe 110mm) to a 50mm one, and moved the saddle about half an inch forward. I also brought closer the brake levels to make them easier to reach. She said that she really liked the changes and liked the fit. I'm pretty glad about it. I also replaced the stock tires (Bontrager Jones something) to a Maxxis Advantage in front and Schwalbe Nobby Nic at the rear, but I'm probably going to replace the Nobby Nic for a Maxxis Ignitor, not sure about it yet.

She did improve a lot. She's braking a lot better than before, now controling the bike, and is learning how to shift. At first, she just went wherever the bike decided to go, but she did change the roles at the end.

She was pretty much stocked about riding, she was pretty glad about her improvement, and was talking about it afterward. Next weekend I'm havign a long ride, and she started to think that maybe she could practice by herself. Also, she was wondering if she would loose some gained skills by not riding a weekend.

I'm very stocked by having her ride with me.

Okay, I know... this post is wortheless without pics... but I forgot the camera...

Thanks for reading this.... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
745 Posts
It's awesome that your girlfriend enjoys riding so much, and it's even better that you're so stoked for her! It's so great to be able to share your passion for riding with someone you care about. :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
That's really awesome man. I love my girlfriend but she really doesn't like riding bike at all. I would love if she would ride with me, but I'd rather just ride solo than drag her with me if she won't enjoy herself. She's more into running and sports, which oddly enough I absolutely suck at.

I have to laugh though... what kind of expenses do you guys drop on your bikes? It's worse enough I spend the money I do on my bike. I can't imagine what the bank account would look like if my girlfriend was nabbin stuff on pricepoint just as frequently as I was too! :D

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roasted said:
That's really awesome man. I love my girlfriend but she really doesn't like riding bike at all. I would love if she would ride with me, but I'd rather just ride solo than drag her with me if she won't enjoy herself. She's more into running and sports, which oddly enough I absolutely suck at.

I have to laugh though... what kind of expenses do you guys drop on your bikes? It's worse enough I spend the money I do on my bike. I can't imagine what the bank account would look like if my girlfriend was nabbin stuff on pricepoint just as frequently as I was too! :D
I definitely DON'T want to look to my bank account right now...lol... The bike was used, and costed considerably less than msrp, at least in Mexico. The reasons I went with the Fuel are that I don't want that the bike hold her back. Maybe I'm a chauvinist (? is that the right word) because, if it was a male friend, I would definitely recomend a cheaper hardtail to learn on, but I felt that having a better bike would help her learn faster and enjoy the outdoors easier than on a hardtail.

Some secondary reasons on the Fuel were that I really liked how the bike rides, and I think that, at the worst case scenario, and she decides that she won't ride anymore, I could either sell it or replace the stem and move the saddle back and use the bike myself.

Regarding my GF, she was more like a city girl, now I don't know. At one bike shop we met a guy that made some rafting weekends at Veracruz, and he has like some small cottages and has a 2 day tour on rafts, and we're seriousy considering going there one weekend. That would be a first for me also, which is also pretty intresting ! :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bike Spend

In reply to Roasted's question I will let the photo answer his question. Wife and I have been riding together for the last 10 years and we have spent equal amounts of money on our bikes. Our old Specialized HT were fully decked out in XT componants. Now that the kids are getting into biking (7 and 5) we ourselves upgraded to these. (My front wheel is currently undergoing a forced upgrade due to a small tumble last week). Only problem now is that I work shift work and we don't get as much time off together to ride.
Shane

Attachments

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turbs1 said:
In reply to Roasted's question I will let the photo answer his question. Wife and I have been riding together for the last 10 years and we have spent equal amounts of money on our bikes. Our old Specialized HT were fully decked out in XT componants. Now that the kids are getting into biking (7 and 5) we ourselves upgraded to these. (My front wheel is currently undergoing a forced upgrade due to a small tumble last week). Only problem now is that I work shift work and we don't get as much time off together to ride.
Shane
Those are some sweet bikes...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts