Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yes the welds are fricking dead sexy, but it is the quality of the frame that blows me away.
(how do they do the weld on the seat tube? That is flabergasting)

His noodly appendage flows through it ( see pictures ;) )

The bike completely obliterated all of the very high expectations I had.
It is like riding a piece of liquid metal.
It flexes a bit in all the right places, but not too much. The feeling is pure smoothness.
29'r with a broke in brooks B-17, the YBB, laid back seat post, and it is softer than my GF sugar 1 dual suspension. The softness is more instant, you do not feel it sag, it just takes what hits it.

This is my first 29'r and I will keep this bike for life.
I was worried about the driving a bus feeling, I was astonished when it was quicker in the turns than my sugar. It is so responsive, I was actually cutting corners too tight. Every movement I send to it happens. I am a mess on the trail at the moment. I need to get my line refined. I had to keep telling myself it was a 29'er cuz it is so refined and tight, like a little 26'er.

Parts list:
- 18 inch mooto-x ybb
- DT swiss 240R hubs with custom laser etching
- mavic 719 rims
- WTB nano raptor (rear), exiwolf (front)
- XTR rear cassette
- XTR dir's
- XT crank
- paul thumbies with dura ace bar end shifters
- Jones H bar
- 2007 Reba SL fork
- Moots laid back seatpost
- my trusty used b-17 leather sadle
- Thompson 110 stem
- Avid ultimate levers
- Avid BBDB 7 disc brakes
- shimanno SPD's

I researched for a few months on what dream bike I would get. I really wanted a full suspension 29'er. I examined all of my options, I always had the mooto-x in the back of my mind. Sat down with a few brews, weighed all the options and costs, and knew what I had to do.
Figure iffin you are gonna build a dream bike, you spare no cost, go for broke. Well that is what I did.

I wanted to go through the best LBS I have ever known, https://www.monkeywrenchcycles.com/ They are not just my LBS, but friends. They host weekly rides which involves a large group of the local biking community. I sat down with Nate and we worked the basics out. And then the clock started ticking. I worked on paying off the frame which arrived in a timely manner. Figured out all the components, nothing but exactly what I wanted and their recomendations.

After all the parts showed up the build began. A slight snag appeared when I picked it up. I was going to use my old XTR 952 cranks with new chain rings and a BB. I did not know, but the crankset had been parted together. It had a XT spider on it, plus it was a little warped. When I hammered down on it, the chain would slip off the middle ring. The flexiness of the Ti did not help.
I sat in awe as they cannabalized their current and future bikes to address and fix the problem. They stayed over an hour after closing time wrenching to make sure I was able to ride that night on the parts I was borrowing. That is above and beyond what a LBS should do, and it shows how dedicated they are to doing the job right.

I could not even speak for 24 hours after riding it, nothing but strings of giggling nonsense would come out. There is not a single thing I would change to make it better, it is absolutely perfect.

pixel post gallery of the bike: https://www.beerorkid.com/moots/index.php

Crappy youtube flyby of the bike.

and a bunch of ride info on my site

Thanks MTRB forum for being a great place to lurk and learn ;)

A 29'er rider for life.
Schteeeeeeev

·
Flight Junkie
832 Posts
Great bike. The Mooto X is a classic frame. I still love mine and think it's probably the best bike I will ever own....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nat said:
Who did the laser etching on the hubs? I want that.
Dan of metal and art, a division of TMCO here in lincoln ne. They have all these cool machines, lasers, and do some awesome stuff.

He said you can pm d-ray iffin you need some etching done.

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
Yeah!

Nate's a good guy.

That's a great looking ride. It'll be on autopilot through Wilderness before you know it.

·
i heart singletrack
1,553 Posts
you should see it in person...

... for as awesome as it looks in these pics, it's even more awe inspiring to see in person.

nice work mwc, and congrats steve on your fine new ride! see ya' tonight on the shop ride.

cheers,
mg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on the rear there is a WTB nanoraptor 2.1. there is about 1/2 inch around the seatstay.
down by the chainstay there is about a 1/2 inch as well.

as far as the seat tube abd BB, there is bunches of room. Over an inch on both.

It looks a little close, but I doubt it would be much of an issue with some mud in there. Doubt I will find out ;)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The thing I did not like about mine was BB height - I was hitting everything with crankarms. I will go one size up to 19 next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts