Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted an Xtracycle, but didn't have the $450 to get started. I also don't have the ability to weld, though I recognize welding is awesome. Instead I built my own using rivets and square tubes. The square tubes make the riveting easier and allows the tubes to form their own jigs to maintain alignment.

I have more pictures of the build here.https://www.flickr.com/photos/willevans/sets/72157623031041775/

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HandsomeRyan said:
Interesting design.

Is that 3/4" MDF used for the 'decks'? Why not pop-rivet some plastic or lexan sheets to save weight.
I have about 95 bucks in it right now, but 20 of that is from shipping and handling charges. I didn't use Lexan for the decks because it would have blown my budget and lexan, at a thickness that would have been suitably stiff, would have been heavier than the free wood I had laying against the wall in my garage.

·
Registered
525 Posts
You should call it Rosie!
Finger Poster Thumb Gesture Illustration

Just picked up an xtracycle and a dummy fork for a bit over $200. Just sayin.....Nothing wrong with garage tech though:thumbsup: Keep us posted on how it ends up.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mplsmtb said:
Will - that thing is awesome. It's got a much cleaner look than the DIY longtail I built last year.

More pics and info on my build here.

Hey! You're the guy I based my rear subframe attachment on! You had some pics on a blog that I used a reference for using a stem to attach things to the bike by the seatpost. Small world, this internet.

I'm going to have some pictures off the whole bike pretty soon. I'll post them here as soon as I can get enough space in the garage to fit the entire bike in the shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.