Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

first of all, sorry for my english, I am a french guy...;)
there is a strange thing in France with the 575 bike...a lot of people have broken the swingarm (in fact, the welding near the brake disc).
everybody who broke this swingarm have the same problem...and not on jumps or something, generally after braking...:rolleyes:
For my side, 2 arms in 2 months !!! the second one has lived 3 days of biking...with only 160mm of rear brake (BB7 power !!!), and no jumps at all...
And the informaton that we have from Yeti are very unclear...serial problem, conception problem, new swingarm reinforced...????

do you face this problem in States ? I am lost, I am thinking of change 575 to Heckler...:confused:

Thanks for your feedback...

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Wow! I need to get myself a set of those brakes!!!

But seriously, that's the first I've seen of a break in the chainstay weld on the 575. Hopefully, it's just an isolated incident. I wonder if there is a frame alignment problem with your front triangle that is causing more stress on your rear triangle (just throwing this out there... I'm not sure if a misaligned front tri will cause that kind of breakage).

·
Registered
804 Posts
It snapped right at the weld on the swingarm. Based on that pic, it looks very much like a defective weld.

I've had my 575 for 3 months and I haven't had any trouble with it at all. It's been the best bike I've ever owned. I've also never heard of that problem happening either. And I read through 2 years of threads here in the Yeti forum before buying mine.

That really sucks that it happened to you at all. Never mind twice!!!! I'm very sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully it gets resolved quickly. Yeti's customer service is second to none in this industry. They ALWAYS stand behind their products.

What did Yeti say about it?? I'm very interested to know.

JP

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
I agree with Jeremy. I checked here for a long time before buying my 575 and have been regularly wasting time with the Yeti guys since. I've never heard of it happening either. I'm sure Yeti will take care of you.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Wow, interesting picture. Typically things break beside a weld, not through the weld itself. As the others have said, it's clearly a defective weld, either incorrect filler rod material or welder settings. Could even be incorrect heat treating of the chain stay post welding, but I would't have thought so.
I'm guessing that a batch has been produced like that for you to experience it twice, and to know others with similar breakages.

I'm sure Yeti will sort you out regardless.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hi all,

yes, it seems clearly a welding problem, when I look the broken area, it seems that the Aluminum of the arm is not melted, just sticked to the part where the wheel is attached (sorry, I do not know the name in english).
at least 10 swingarms have been broken this year in france, and from several period of nike selling (2004, 2005...), but the real problem is that the new arm that I received broke only after 3 days of riding !!! :madman:
infos form Yeti are not clear, the French importator is not verious efficient...we I reached them by phone, one time yeti know that there si a problem of conception and will give to me a carbon swingarm, second time i will received the new swingarm reinforced, and last time it is just a resolved welding problem...

not very good for a riding in total tranquility...:nono:

By the way, thanks for your answers.

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
Could very well be a problem!!!!!

tribe members... My riding buddy had his do the exact same thing. Black '06 575 frame. Over two weeks now since the incident occurred and he still doesn't have a new rear triangle yet:madmax: . Here's the pics.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Yeah you can clearly see in that last pic that the weld hasn't penetrated the drop out at all, so no fusion between the materials has occured. Might as well be stuck together with bubble gum really.

·
mtbr member
70 Posts
That type of swingarm failure has been posted here before:

mikmig said:
hi all,

first of all, sorry for my english, I am a french guy...;)
there is a strange thing in France with the 575 bike...a lot of people have broken the swingarm (in fact, the welding near the brake disc).
everybody who broke this swingarm have the same problem...and not on jumps or something, generally after braking...:rolleyes:
For my side, 2 arms in 2 months !!! the second one has lived 3 days of biking...with only 160mm of rear brake (BB7 power !!!), and no jumps at all...
And the informaton that we have from Yeti are very unclear...serial problem, conception problem, new swingarm reinforced...????

do you face this problem in States ? I am lost, I am thinking of change 575 to Heckler...:confused:

Thanks for your feedback...
It looks like a high stress area from braking forces combined with some weld quality control issues. Here's a link to the past thread: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=196797&highlight=575+broken+weld
You will also see Zion Pasta being the obnoxious troll that he always is.

That location could probably use some gusseting. I don't know how Yeti is overseas, but their customer support has been top notch here in the States. Ping them with an email and some pictures. I'm pretty sure Yeti is aware of the problem and will take care of their customers.

Here's a picture from that thread:
Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle part Spoke

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
tribe members... My riding buddy had his do the exact same thing. Black '06 575 frame. Over two weeks now since the incident occurred and he still doesn't have a new rear triangle yet:madmax: . Here's the pics.
and now your's too :yikes: is your's failing on the brake side or drive side?

·
trail "cleaner"
1,382 Posts
dirtbag said:
and now your's too :yikes: is your's failing on the brake side or drive side?
different problem all together from what's being posted. My White 575 has a small crack developing on the forged/CNC'd drive side dropout where the Carbon fiber pivot bottoms out next to the drop out. Spoke and showed Chad today during the Yeti Demo's and they'll replace it. :D Just gotta tear 'er down and get it sent out.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
AZmtncycler said:
different problem all together from what's being posted. My White 575 has a small crack developing on the forged/CNC'd drive side dropout where the Carbon fiber pivot bottoms out next to the drop out. Spoke and showed Chad today during the Yeti Demo's and they'll replace it. :D Just gotta tear 'er down and get it sent out.
Well.. at least it's gonna be taken care of... seems like you 2 575 setup will keep you on the trails ;)

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
crisillo said:
brake side... but AZmtncycler said it was a buddy of his... not any of his Yetis...
yes he did, and i said 'and now yours too :yikes: ' :smilewinkgrin:

AZmtncycler visited the yeti demo wagon today in phoenix and confirmed that one of his 'dreams' is cracked at the drop out :sad: fortunately, he has a backup 575 for our ride mañana :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
dirtbag said:
yes he did, and i said 'and now yours too :yikes: ' :smilewinkgrin:

AZmtncycler visited the yeti demo wagon today in phoenix and confirmed that one of his 'dreams' is cracked at the drop out :sad: fortunately, he has a backup 575 for our ride mañana :thumbsup:
yeah.. my bad.. I just based my post on what was posted here... didn't know about his crack (pun intended) :eek:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.