Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell, the Maxstar is the same thing as the Dynasty w/out AC? Does this sound right? I have a Maxstar located on the cheap and am thinking of getting it. It needs a pedal and a cooler, but I can add the cooler later. And it works with my single phase 220 I have in the garage now. Would $1k on a Maxstar 200 SD be a good deal you think? It doesn't have pulsing, but from what I've read, not many folks are using that for DC work anyway.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just paid $1k for a maxstar dx welder only, It was a few hundred more to set it up with the stuff I didn't already have , I needed to buy a foot pedal and an dinse adaptor. A gas cooled torch will be just fine for bikes, I like a #9 torch with a gas-lens for 3/32".. The pulse feature is nice but correct weld parameters put the pulser at 100-500ppm anyway so its not really used for the stack of dimes look unless you want to turn it way down to1.5-2.5ppm. The welde will also work just fine if you wire it for 110v, nothing to change but the cord end, the welder will know when you plug it in. I'm happy with it so far, I think it does a really nice job, plus , being a newer miller it has the fan on demand feature so you dont' have to listen to the fan the entire time it's on which really bugs me for some reason. These little welders seem to retain thier value so once set up you could probally trade up by reselling if something else comes along.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
j-ro said:
I just paid $1k for a maxstar dx welder only, It was a few hundred more to set it up with the stuff I didn't already have , I needed to buy a foot pedal and an dinse adaptor. A gas cooled torch will be just fine for bikes, I like a #9 torch with a gas-lens for 3/32".. The pulse feature is nice but correct weld parameters put the pulser at 100-500ppm anyway so its not really used for the stack of dimes look unless you want to turn it way down to1.5-2.5ppm. The welde will also work just fine if you wire it for 110v, nothing to change but the cord end, the welder will know when you plug it in. I'm happy with it so far, I think it does a really nice job, plus , being a newer miller it has the fan on demand feature so you dont' have to listen to the fan the entire time it's on which really bugs me for some reason. These little welders seem to retain thier value so once set up you could probally trade up by reselling if something else comes along.
Yeah, that's about what I've found only it's not the DX so I think I'd be ok just getting a pedal and using it air cooled for now. Having the ability to upgrade to a water cooler is a nice feature though and certainly something I can do down the road. I did notice that the duty cycle at 100 amps is 100%, so that seems like a perfect welder for bike frames even with an air cooled torch.

I'm going to think about if for a couple of days I suppose.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Is the aircooled electrode bigger than a water cooled? I've never used an electrode aircooled before, but I can see it being fine for the low-amp work of bike frames. My machine doesn't have pulse and it has never been a problem. I don't think Walt uses pulse either.

·
Registered
323 Posts
j-ro said:
A gas cooled torch will be just fine for bikes, I like a #9 torch with a gas-lens for 3/32".
3/32"? EGADS:) I used 0.040" w/ a gas lens for the bike. Only need 60-80A peak. Benefits of the small tungstens are both cheaper and faster to grind.

A 150A #17 is typ/standard issue for any welder in the 200A class. For doing bikes I think your smaller 125A #9 is prob a better choice. I just picked up a WP-125 microtig for other stuff, but it'll prob come in handy in a couple of places on a bike too. But not necessary.

Linnaeus said:
Is the aircooled electrode bigger than a water cooled?
No. Tungsten is determined by current. Air cooled just limits duty cycle (how long you can weld at high current before the torch handle gets too hot to hold.) Most air cooled torches are 60% at max, whereas water cooled is typ 100%. You can weld anything just fine w/ an aircooled torch. Just have to take a break once in a while. Not an issue for bikes *AT ALL*. Welding aluminum w/ AC is where you really wish for a water cooled torch. The rev polarity segment dumps alot of heat back into the torch...

Edit: Make sure the 200SD has HF arc start. Lift start is works 'ok' but it'll get REALLY old after a while. Miller lists it as "new" on the 200SD so maybe the older ones didn't have it...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
smdubovsky said:
No. Tungsten is determined by current. Air cooled just limits duty cycle (how long you can weld at high current before the torch handle gets too hot to hold.) Most air cooled torches are 60% at max, whereas water cooled is typ 100%. You can weld anything just fine w/ an aircooled torch. Just have to take a break once in a while. Not an issue for bikes *AT ALL*. Welding aluminum w/ AC is where you really wish for a water cooled torch. The rev polarity segment dumps alot of heat back into the torch...

Edit: Make sure the 200SD has HF arc start. Lift start is works 'ok' but it'll get REALLY old after a while. Miller lists it as "new" on the 200SD so maybe the older ones didn't have it...
I was wondering about that lift start. A lot of times I get into position with the tungsten on the material and my torch hand in position. Then, I flip down the mask, pull the torch back just a bit and light it up with the pedal and start getting the rod into position.

It looks like the "Blue Lightning" is the HF Start and should be included in this series though. I suppose I should take a look at the manual and see what it says.

It still looks like this welder is 100% duty cycle at under 100 amps so I can't see needing a water cooler other than having a more flexible torch. Or so I hear that air cooled torch leads aren't as flexible but still work fine.

·
Registered
270 Posts
smdubovsky said:
No. Tungsten is determined by current. Air cooled just limits duty cycle (how long you can weld at high current before the torch handle gets too hot to hold.) Most air cooled torches are 60% at max, whereas water cooled is typ 100%. You can weld anything just fine w/ an aircooled torch. Just have to take a break once in a while.
Whoops, I meant torch. Of course the amps determine your tungsten size. I've only ever used my water cooled torch, which is relatively compact but can still handle AC just fine.

·
Let's get weird
181 Posts
I had a Maxstar 150sth. I never liked the hf start on the machine and resorted to lift-start frequently. No matter now much time I put into dressing the tungsten or grounding location, the arc would jump and spit like crazy.

I now have an Airco Heliwelder V from the 80s. The hf start and arc are much crisper than the Maxstar. Go figure...30 year old transformer technology.

If you choose to go water cooled, vinyl hose is pretty stiff. Recommend looking at rubber hoses for getting a comfortable position without the torch being pulled in another direction.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Linnaeus said:
This is what I run -- no complaints other than bulky size. But even newer AC capable machines are big.
I'm pretty sure that's the same Airco I've been using on the WWTP thing. It's 600lbs, on a pneumatic wheeled cart and it's huge. But it works great and I've got no complaints. I've been finding them for about $600-800 on that list that Craig has but just don't have the room for something like that or I'd have already purchased one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.