Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but it seems like there's tons of that here in CT. We have so many old hiking trails. I was at a trail system last week where it was hard to tell where the trail actually was.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any pics handy at the moment, but it seems like there's tons of that here in CT. We have so many old hiking trails. I was at a trail system last week where it was hard to tell where the trail actually was.
Take some photos next time your out there.

·
Registered
I secretly ride 12spd
1,963 Posts
Not a lot of "jungle" over here, but this was a thick heavily wooded trail system with lots of reclaimed hiking trail type stuff. Very rocky, arduous riding.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hey guy, quit your gloating. Some of us are forced to kick rocks across bone dry gravel approx 350 days a year (the other 15 are on trips hours away).

:cautious:

Damn you rain forest dwellers!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guy, quit your gloating. Some of us are forced to kick rocks across bone dry gravel approx 350 days a year (the other 15 are on trips hours away).

:cautious:

Damn you rain forest dwellers!
Sometimes I yurn for dry and dusty! In the dead of winter when all there is is mud, and more mud and slippery mods covered roots and wet and mud. Did I mention mud.

The grass is not always greener.... Well it is pretty damn green here......but that's not always good.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Sometimes I yurn for dry and dusty! In the dead of winter when all there is is mud, and more mud and slippery mods covered roots and wet and mud. Did I mention mud.

The grass is not always greener.... Well it is pretty damn green here......but that's not always good.
Variety is the spice of life or something like that?

I don't envy the mud, wet, cold, etc... but turns in ferns is the premier riding experience IMO!

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,326 Posts
That is probably the biggest problem here in the summer, it just gets too overgrown. It's also why I prefer the winter here in Alaska over the summer. We literally have to have a schedule for all of our longer trails, where certain ones are "optimal" and then after a certain date, as early as July, they are not an option anymore, just choked. It also doesn't help that the two primary plants are Devil's Club (spikes) and Cow Parsnip (chemical burns and nasty reactions in sunlight, like PO, but in some ways worse). One of my favorite things to do in the summer is ride in the alpine, but to get to the alpine, you generally have to pass through all of this over-grown sh*t and it can be so bad you simply can't make any progress. We have to brush local trails several times in the summer and sometimes the FS brushes the longer ones, but often not.

Reactions: cyclelicious

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,897 Posts
Yes... Dread and Terror about 3-4 years ago. That's the section where the trail is essentially the drainage for a big weeping wall of ferns.
Thot I recognized that place — so unique & Oregonesque. I love it. Gotta hit the NUT again this year & introduce Cyn to it. I wonder if the big bridge on D&T is still passable.
=sParty

1 - 20 of 48 Posts