Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many years riding/racing my kiddie wheels, I recently got the strong urge to try a 29er. Why you ask? Don't know. Maybe I've convinced myself that big wheels would better fit my 6'3" frame. Perhaps I envy my buddy's new big wheeler. Or most likely I've caught a classic case of "upgradacitis." That desire for something new and different. Incurable some say.

I've never spent any significant time on a 29er so I really have no idea what I am in for. At any rate the time for second thoughts has come and gone. I parted out most of my 26er full susser on EBay and built up a hardtail wagon wheeler with the leftovers.

How do I like the ride? Well considering I'm stuck in the middle of a cold Canadian winter the only riding I've done is a couple of laps around the basement. The big wheels do roll over my children's toys like they are not even there. Smooth! I haven't compared to my 26er basement lap times but the big wheels just feel faster ;)

Now the only thing left to do is wait for Spring so I can find out if size does matter. Will I like the bike? I'm guessing I will. Will I love the bike? That remains to be seen... I can't wait to hammer on it and see!

Here are some build pics for your viewing pleasure. Welcome to the dark side!
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,006 Posts
If you're a big boy, you may not be too excited about flexy wheels. Personally, I would have gone with the arches (at the very least)...if not flows.

Report back on your thoughts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jncarpenter said:
If you're a big boy, you may not be too excited about flexy wheels. Personally, I would have gone with the arches (at the very least)...if not flows.

Report back on your thoughts...
My race weight is about 165lb. I'm not exactly a clydesdale. :)

I'm definitely wondering how the bike will be for stiffness. Later I might build up a medium weight set of wheels with Archs and some sturdier hubs than AC. Use them for every day trail riding and keep these wheels for racing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Looks fairly similar to what I have in mind. I'm 6'2 and 165 so I'm looking forward to anything you have to say about your bike. Especially wheel and frame flex.

Enjoy the ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,006 Posts
BobShort said:
My race weight is about 165lb. I'm not exactly a clydesdale. :)

I'm definitely wondering how the bike will be for stiffness. Later I might build up a medium weight set of wheels with Archs and some sturdier hubs than AC. Use them for every day trail riding and keep these wheels for racing.
OK...they should be a decent set of race wheels for you then. If you do decide to build up another set, consider the flows instead of the arches. Not much more weight, but less similarity in wheel builds.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
jncarpenter said:
If you're a big boy, you may not be too excited about flexy wheels. Personally, I would have gone with the arches (at the very least)...if not flows.

Report back on your thoughts...
Agreed, I hope the rider weighs under 180 #s at 6' 3" with 355's, otherwise things ain't gonna last too long, unless those are race day wheels only.

Edit: D'oh!, he beat me to it. Good luck with the race day wheelset. What did you use for spokes, nipples, and what did you tension them up to in kg's?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RandyBoy said:
Agreed, I hope the rider weighs under 180 #s at 6' 3" with 355's, otherwise things ain't gonna last too long, unless those are race day wheels only.

Edit: D'oh!, he beat me to it. Good luck with the race day wheelset. What did you use for spokes, nipples, and what did you tension them up to in kg's?
The spokes are Wheelsmith DB14 with brass nipples.

I don't mess around with stupid light spokes (e.g. DT revs) or alu nipples. I'd rather have something a tad more sturdy and forgiving for the amateur wheel builder. I was going to go DT Competition but I needed two lengths and could only get DT in boxes of 100. I didn't really feel like buying 200 spokes, so I went with Wheelsmith simply because they came in more reasonable packages of 50. It was my first time building with Wheelsmith but I was very happy with how they built up. If they stand up on the trail I'll definitely build with them again.

I'm not exactly sure about the tension. I borrowed a DT Swiss Tensio meter and I could only find tension conversion charts for DT spokes. So I just guessed they would be in between a DT Comp and a Super-Comp. If I guessed right the tension should be between 90 and 95 kg.

The hubs are American Classic. I had a set of 26er AC350s that were a couple years old. I couldn't have sold them for much so I just broke them down and re-used the hubs which were still in good shape.

The wheels came in at 1650g with rim tape and valves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
542 Posts
I think the weight limit can be stretched if you know how to ride..... Ive seen people bend rims simply because they cant ride...... Some people just are not ment to ride bikes......

Nice build bro...
 

·
Missouri sucks...
Joined
·
2,305 Posts
Another rim option for you to consider if you build another set of wheels, or don't like the 355s, is the DT Swiss X470. About the same weight as the arches but it's nearly half the price and has eyelets. Just throwing it out there...

I like the bike! Tasteful build. Congrats! You're going to love it. I did the same thing over the winter and don't regret going to a hardtail one bit;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
I have had a 355 wheelset made from Daves Wheels, and beat the snot out of them for over a year. I am over 185lbs not over 6', but have had great rides with the hoops
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RandyBoy said:
Looks rather similar in build to my XL AIR. What's she weigh 25 to 25.5 pounds?
Ah yes. Weight. Now you asked for it ;) My buddy is a weight weenie so I borrowed his gram scale just for kicks. Might as well while everything is in bits.

The build ended up at 24.5 lbs.

The only things I'll probably upgrade eventually is the bar (Salsa Pro Moto Carbon) and maybe the disk brakes (Formula R1s). That would put it under 24 lb. The Shimano pedals are also boat anchors but I just like how they work to much to go to something lighter.

Weights:


Niner Air 9 XL 1670
Fox F29 RL 80MM 1753

FSA Headset 116
Niner Seat Collar 26
Thomson Elite Seatpost 243

Easton EA70 Stem 150
Easton EA50 Flat Wide Bar 264
ODI Ruffian Grips 108
SLR XC Grips 184
Shimano 540 Pedals 346

Front Wheel AC / DB14 / Stan's 355 771
Rear Wheel AC / DB14 / Stan's 355 879
Front Skewer AC 49
Rear Skewer AC 52
Front Tire Hutchinson Python 29er 646
Rear Tire Hutchinson Python 29er 658
Stans Sealant 120

Front Brake XT 301
Rear Breke XT 306
Front Rotor XT 6 bolt 118
Rear Rotor XT 6 bolt 124
Rotor Bolts (both) 26
Caliper Adapter 39

Cranks XT 773
Bottom Bracket XT 97
Cassette XT 262
Chain XTR 267
Front Derailleur XT 146
Rear Derailleur XT 222
Front Shifter XT 123
Rear Shifter XT 125

Shifter Cables 48
Bottle Cage 60
Headset Spacers 12

Total: 11084 grams = 24.4 LBS
 

·
Swim Bike Run
Joined
·
6 Posts
Nice build! Impressive that you built your own wheels. What did you use for a saddle? Also, if you wanted lighter pedals, Eggbeaters are the way to go. The brass cleats wear out quicker than I'd like, but they're easily replaceable. I just love the ease of cleaning the pedals compared to SPD's.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,930 Posts
BobShort said:
Ah yes. Weight. Now you asked for it ;) My buddy is a weight weenie so I borrowed his gram scale just for kicks. Might as well while everything is in bits.

The build ended up at 24.5 lbs.

The only things I'll probably upgrade eventually is the bar (Salsa Pro Moto Carbon) and maybe the disk brakes (Formula R1s). That would put it under 24 lb. The Shimano pedals are also boat anchors but I just like how they work to much to go to something lighter.

Weights:


Niner Air 9 XL 1670
Fox F29 RL 80MM 1753

FSA Headset 116
Niner Seat Collar 26
Thomson Elite Seatpost 243

Easton EA70 Stem 150
Easton EA50 Flat Wide Bar 264
ODI Ruffian Grips 108
SLR XC Grips 184
Shimano 540 Pedals 346

Front Wheel AC / DB14 / Stan's 355 771
Rear Wheel AC / DB14 / Stan's 355 879
Front Skewer AC 49
Rear Skewer AC 52
Front Tire Hutchinson Python 29er 646
Rear Tire Hutchinson Python 29er 658
Stans Sealant 120

Front Brake XT 301
Rear Breke XT 306
Front Rotor XT 6 bolt 118
Rear Rotor XT 6 bolt 124
Rotor Bolts (both) 26
Caliper Adapter 39

Cranks XT 773
Bottom Bracket XT 97
Cassette XT 262
Chain XTR 267
Front Derailleur XT 146
Rear Derailleur XT 222
Front Shifter XT 123
Rear Shifter XT 125

Shifter Cables 48
Bottle Cage 60
Headset Spacers 12

Total: 11084 grams = 24.4 LBS
Hmmm, you must stand and mash, I see no seat in the build?
 

·
Relentless forward motion
Joined
·
354 Posts
I went 26 sus (racer) to 29 HT... friggin lovin it! You're gonna love it! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
triguy6 said:
Nice build! Impressive that you built your own wheels. What did you use for a saddle? Also, if you wanted lighter pedals, Eggbeaters are the way to go. The brass cleats wear out quicker than I'd like, but they're easily replaceable. I just love the ease of cleaning the pedals compared to SPD's.
Saddle is an Selle Italia SLR XC. It's off my old bike. I've found it to be quite comfortable and very light.

I was thinking about Eggbeaters but last fall I started single speeding on an old 26er hardtail I had laying around. I found that SPDs where nice for the abuse of SS grinding and read some people having trouble grinding the Eggbeaters. I like using the same pedals on all my bikes so I decided to stick with SPD all around. Too bad they weight a ton.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top