Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the Flux be an All Mountain Bike??? If it's built with Kenda Excavator 2.35 tires, 180mm rotors, Mavic Crossmax XL wheels, XT drivetrain, XT 4 piston brakes, a 90mm stem, a Gravity Dropper seat post, a Trail Tech SCMR16 HID light, a Fox Vanilla fork reduced to 120mm travel and yes, a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock? I'm thinking it's going to do just fine! Of course action shots will come soon to a Turner forum near you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Looks good but...

if I build a flux it'll be a lighter build than yours; but then I'm too old, fat and lazy to drag any extra weight around with me. I'm thinking float 120 fork, rp23, King 355 wheels achieving the same geo with a few lbs less weight.
???? Did you cycle that shock without the spring to make sure that resevior wont hit the frame? I made that mistake with a DHX air on my 6 pack. Luckily it didn't do much damage.

·
Wicketed
607 Posts
The dw flux will be flipping ace built up like that i reckon. the CCBD looks tres suite on it.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Yeah, sorry to be critical... I mean, it’s beautifully spec'd ride and I would love the components on my Spot, but the burliness of the build on an XC race bike is just not the choice I would make. You have all the burliness of a nice AM bike, wrestling with the geo of a race bike...

·
Crazed Country Rebel
6,345 Posts
idrivefun said:
Yeah, sorry to be critical... I mean, it's beautifully spec'd ride and I would love the components on my Spot, but the burliness of the build on an XC race bike is just not the choice I would make. You have all the burliness of a nice AM bike, wrestling with the geo of a race bike...
I think it looks fun. If the dude only has one bike - why not play around with the spec a little?

Personally, I'll probably never go that far with my Flux - but I am currently running 2.3" tires and a 120 mil fork on it just to make it more fun.

To each his own.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I didn't mean for that comment to come across as overly critical - I'm sure the bike is fun and do what you like with it. It just seemed odd to push the envelope of a Flux so far into the Spot territory. The frame just isn't designed for AM. I can much more readily understand making a Spot into a lightweight XC oriented machine than trying to turn a Flux into an AM rig. To each his own.:skep:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Why not?

Plenty of folks putting 36's on Spots these days - and with DW link the new Spot is the old RFX.... so maybe the new Flux is the old Spot.

We all know the new RFX will be the old Highline after all!

DW link seems to have pushed the envelope for all models up a notch.

I'm running Fox 32 Talas (100-120-140mm) with QR15 on my Flux. It rides great with that setup - 100mm for extended climbing, 140mm for bombing downhills and 120mm just about everywhere else.

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
I understand where you're coming from - I ran a 130mm Revelation U-Turn on my Burner and liked it. But starting from scratch with the $$$ in a new frame, I don't think I'd take a 4" XC frame and trick it out with those parts (not to mention the need to lose the big ring for a bashguard). I just don't understand the reasoning behind using a Flux frame with its XC geometry for AM riding when you could start with a Spot. Saving a pound of weight?

·
Registered
9,441 Posts
About 5 or so years ago seem like most frames were either 3/ 4 / 5" XC or long travel DH bikes - AM wasn't a houshold term. Just about that time 5-6" forks became popular. I had quite a few 4-5" frames I put 150mm Z1's, Sherman's etc. Pointed down the bikes smoother due to the longer travel forks but something was still missing even when the air shock's were replaced by a coil. The geometry, shorter rear travel just couldn't match the potential of the fork. I did quite a bit of component mis-matching over the years : Super T on an 02' Enduro, 5" fork'd SC Bullit etc. but I have come to conclude purpose built works pretty well . My current ride is an 08' RFX 5" travel F & R (Pike & Rococ TST) running 650b's, 13.5" BB, 68* HA - definitly diffenent but the numbers all add up to a nice ride

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I get it...

This bike aint about huckin, it is about eating lots of small rocks and ruts and staying on the ground and covering chop comfortably. Sure a Spot would work, but the whole package goes up in weight and if you don't need that 'much' travel then, super compliant coils on a Flux could be the balance. Keep in mind that to get the absolute plushness of coil on the 5 Spot you would have to put coils on it too, more travel does make for coil plushness then the weight keeps going up, with considerably more travel on the 5 Spot you are pulled into big stuff faster so tires and rims will need beefing up and so the cycle goes until you get to the build of the GnarCore, and that is much more than most really need.

DT

·
Bite Me.
4,531 Posts
turnerbikes said:
This bike aint about huckin, it is about eating lots of small rocks and ruts and staying on the ground and covering chop comfortably. Sure a Spot would work, but the whole package goes up in weight and if you don't need that 'much' travel then, super compliant coils on a Flux could be the balance. Keep in mind that to get the absolute plushness of coil on the 5 Spot you would have to put coils on it too, more travel does make for coil plushness then the weight keeps going up, with considerably more travel on the 5 Spot you are pulled into big stuff faster so tires and rims will need beefing up and so the cycle goes until you get to the build of the GnarCore, and that is much more than most really need.

DT
I see the logic if coils are the objective. But for me (having tried to make my Burner and O2 into coil AM bikes), I found that my old Spot and RFX rigged up as sub 30lb air suspended XC/Trail bikes filled the "non-huckin, trail eating" niche way better. More travel, more relaxed geometry, still easy to climb on and about the same weight.

·
Banned
91 Posts
I did not mean to sound overly critical either... we all build what we each think is the best bike for our abilities and the condition of the terrain we frequent... to each his own and at least he's a homer, riding a bike he loves, and I can raise a glass to that.

·
suspension whore
702 Posts
turnerbikes said:
.....and so the cycle goes until you get to the build of the GnarCore, and that is much more than most really need.....

DT
Oh no, you invoked the GnarCore, I see a ProCore Thread de-railment coming coming

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.