Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
skin tight lycra
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres the deal. Im a first year student at ASU so im living in Tempe. Ive ridden trails all over Arizona before and love em.

Im from SoCal and this month im taking to the bike to Arizona with me. I ride a Turner spot. Im trying to get the bike ready for the technical AZ trails.

Im currently running Maxxis 2.35 UST HighRollers? Is this a good choice for SouthMountain?

I also bought a HEIM 3 Chain Guide and Bashguard. I dont think my big ring will be necessary, right?

I currently have 06 TALAS RLC but thinking about upgrading to a PIKE soon.

I think i'm ready to hit the trails with you guys now!!! See you around.

~Matt

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
You're ready to rock and roll, literally!

A couple comments about your setup:

I don't how often you're planning to ride other trails, but if you are I don't think I would get rid of the big ring. Since you're apparently young and energetic I will assume you will get better with time. If so, you will want that ring for some of the less challenging trails around the valley. Just use some good sense on which steps to try climbing on National, etc. I ride it with my big ring and don't have a problem.

I wouldn't rush into spending money on a Pike fork. Send your RLC to Push

http://www.pushindustries.com/services.php?serv_page=Fox Air Forks&title=Fox Air Forks

and have them rebuild it for your application. Many of us have done so and really enjoy the result!

The tires sound good. I rode with a guy from the UK on National recently and he had the same tires. Pretty much bomb proof and tons of grip. A bit heavy, but worth every ounce.

Welcome back to Airy Zona!

IntenseKipp said:
Im from SoCal and this month im taking to the bike to Arizona with me. I ride a Turner spot. Im trying to get the bike ready for the technical AZ trails.

Im currently running Maxxis 2.35 UST HighRollers? Is this a good choice for SouthMountain?

I also bought a HEIM 3 Chain Guide and Bashguard. I dont think my big ring will be necessary, right?

I currently have 06 TALAS RLC but thinking about upgrading to a PIKE soon.

I think i'm ready to hit the trails with you guys now!!! See you around.

~Matt

·
skin tight lycra
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tips guys. Im going to try and install the chain guide with keeping my 3 rings for the time being. I'll hold onto the bash guard for later.

The reason I was looking into the PIKE was for the thu axle stiffness. I wont be doing any fork upgrades till summer so we'll see.

Im going to go with HighRoller front and rear. Ive been running them and have never flatted and have ZERO problems with them on my 819's. This is worth extra weight to me.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
hi IntenseKipp,

I work at ASU. (ISTB-1) if you want to hook up for a night ride ripper or weekend ride send me a PM.

I'm a recent AZ "local" myself, but i have a great group of AZ locals who like to show me around,

welcome, I'm certain you'll love the place. watch out for Monkeybutt and his siren GF. they'll lead you to a path of too much fun. =)

(tscheezy, you should let all the AZ locals know when you will be in town. I like to meet you and go for a ride. I'm certain then other feel the same.)

·
skin tight lycra
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
brianc said:
hi IntenseKipp,

I work at ASU. (ISTB-1) if you want to hook up for a night ride ripper or weekend ride send me a PM.

I'm a recent AZ "local" myself, but i have a great group of AZ locals who like to show me around,

welcome, I'm certain you'll love the place. watch out for Monkeybutt and his siren GF. they'll lead you to a path of too much fun. =)
I would be down for a night ride but I have no lights!!! Are you riding this weekend??

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.