Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may recall, I'm on a two week vacation in Norcal area with my brother. So far we've done:

San Jose (arrival & shopping)
San Francisco (Golden Gate area was the remarked point there)
Santa Cruz (visit to the SC factory and riding there)
Yosemite (camping & hiking, lovely place!)

So it was the turn to Lake Tahoe... We arrived to S. Lake Taohe the night of Sat, meet the town, rested and arranged the bike rentals on Sun and Mr Toads was the target for Mon. So yesterday we took towards the trail head, rode from the parking lot, pedaled uphill trough a paved road, then Armstrong's Pass and Big Meadows, then exhausted, but finally Mr. Toads.

I was taking some pictures on the view point at the top of the mountain just after the downhill when I heard a scream. Ran back and found my brother lying on the dirt... A broken collarbone. The nice downhill became a hiking trip when I was pushing the two bikes, from the top! and climate worsening every minute. His accident was not even in the downhill section :madman:

We made contact with civilization by 8-9pm and went to the hospital. Our trail ended being something about 9-10 hours long. Doctor said my brother was the second patient from Toads that night. He's OK, BTW, he'll have to wait some days to let inflammation pass and get surgery to put the bone back in place.

His biking vacation is over, but mine not quite. I still have three remaining days of rental bike available to stay in the area. If anyone is interested in sharing some riding time with me just let me know or PM me. I'm hosted at the Big Pines hotel (Heavenly Village area) and have a car with bike rack and such (meaning that me & my partner(s) can get a bit further than the south shore rides).

Today I'll basically rest and take care of him, but from tomorrow to the end of my trip (saturday) I'll keep in S. Lake Tahoe to help my brother's mobility. Downieville will have to wait to a further trip :mad:

Hope some of you guys can show me some of your Tahoetian lands! :thumbsup:

·
Ride More - Suffer Less
3,071 Posts
See Dr. Kirk Jensen if your in Orinda - Oakland area. Saved my collar bone when others wouldn't touch it. If it requires surgury DO NOT WAIT as youll start healing and it will be harder to get everything back into correct position.

If they want to use plates, go elsewhere....

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Sucks man. If you have time and can make it to Reno or Carson City let me know. I think I will have time tomorrow or the rest of the week after work for some short rides. I normally do Carson city and know the Ash Canyon trails pretty well, they are short but can all be looped together for a longer ride. With the storm coming through tonight though, you may be S-O-L.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I wish I'd seen this earlier. I just got back from a xmas valley to Toads loop and would have welcomed the company. The good new is if we don't get hammered with snow the dirt is going to be in great shape. It's supposed to warm up considerably after the storm so I doubt the snow will last long. I'm guessing that by friday you should still be able to at least ride Corral/Sidewinder (highly recommended if you haven't already done it).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven't ridden anything in Tahoe yet :-(
Hope the bad weather last short, I really want to ride here before I leave.

PS. Doctor said is required to wait for inflammation to pass before attempting the surgery.

·
Rubber side down
124 Posts
Dude you have a car. Get in it and ride your bike. It's your vacation don't waste it. Reno has some riding and it's not that far. Pevine and Whites Creek. You should go to a local bike shop there and get specifics. Your on S shore so you could go down the hill to Sly Park theres some fun trails there too. Do it, do it now.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Dude you have a car. Get in it and ride your bike. It's your vacation don't waste it. Reno has some riding and it's not that far. Pevine and Whites Creek. You should go to a local bike shop there and get specifics. Your on S shore so you could go down the hill to Sly Park theres some fun trails there too. Do it, do it now.
Sly Park is fun, but might be wettish. Closer and probably drier would be Ash Canyon in Carson City and Pinenuts in Gardnerville.
I have GPS tracks of all 3 if you would like them. It is closer than Pollock Pines and easier to navigate than Pinenuts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.