Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i'm in the market for a new mountain bike. I'm trying to get it bought before this winter is over so i can get riding for the full spring/summer season ahead. I have $1000 and although i'm not new to mountain biking, i've never owned one. i HAVE borrowed some friends' mountain bikes and think i can handle beginner trails very easily.

I think this bike will be used for mostly trail riding on intermediate trails. Looking for a HardTail. I did some research and lurking here before posting. My lbs is a Authorized Retailer for: Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized, Diamondback, and Cannondale. I have yet to stop in because i'd like to know what to ask for. Any help?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just wondering what specifically i should be looking for. my budget is not set @$1000. i'm okay with spending less and upgrading the bike as the weather gets warmer. I'm also okay with spending a little more if it means i get a lot more bike for the money

·
XC Ground Pounder
408 Posts
It's hard to go wrong with any of those companies. So long as it fits you.

Actually, I personally avoid Cannondale, as they have always seemed to gimmicky for me, but that is personal preference. Some people swear by them, and you might too.

Don't be afraid to go into your LBS without knowing exactly what you want. Just know your budget. Bikes are priced accordingly across the board (For the most part).

So go down there, test ride as many bikes as you need to, and buy the one that FEELS RIGHT and FITS RIGHT. You can upgrade damn near everything later, but a frame with the correct geometry FOR YOU is the key. Replacing the frame is the biggest hassle.

Good luck. Keep us posted, and don't forget pics.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm just wondering what specifically i should be looking for.
Fit. All of those brands make a good bike, but the frame geometry is different with each manufacturer, so you should really try to test ride as many different bikes in your price range that you can. After you narrow your search down to a couple of bikes, then start to worry about the components, color, etc. Also, try out a few different shops too.

·
XC Ground Pounder
408 Posts
bbrins said:
Also, try out a few different shops too.
+1

I forgot that part. Definitely try a couple shops, even if it means some travel time.

Besides, its probably been a long time since you took a road trip with a can of slim jims, some beef jerky and a 2 liter of Mountain Dew between the legs.:D

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've looked up a few other shops arond my area and they sell Giants, haro, and Marin. I dont hear much about these bikes. i'd generally prefer to the more popular models, thats just how i like to buy things

·
XC Ground Pounder
408 Posts
Giants are GOOD bikes.

Definitely try a Giant or two.

If you're looking for name brand, the three that stand out are #1 - Trek, #2 - Giant, and #3 - Specialized.

That's solely based on personal preference. Try all three. You're dropping a wad of cash on something you expect to last for years. Do it right, do the research, and get the bike that truly fits you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
First, find a shop you enjoy. Most all bike companies make a great product in your price range, it is a very hot area of competition. Make sure you find a shop you will be happy to come back to again and again.

Look for a shop that offers a free fitting session, offers to switch out parts (seat or stem) to make the bike fit you properly, offers to retune your bike after a few weeks of riding when the cables and housing settle, and some will offer free or discounted tune-ups for a few months or maybe for life. Worthy shops will let you spend as much time as you need test riding any bike in the shop. Some will offer a demo program to get a better feel for the bikes on the trail. The best shops will apply the fee you pay to demo a bike towards the purchase of a new bike.

Also, do not plan on upgrading the bike later on. It's kinda like buying the honda accord and later tuning the engine and adding race wheels and brakes. Underneath it all, you still have an accord.

Lastly, worry about specific models. It's pretty hard to go wrong if you've first selected a quality shop because they will only stock models that are worthwhile.

edit: I have ridden a Fisher hardtail for the past 7 years, and I'm very familiar with their current lineup as well as Trek's. Both companies along with Specialized all make a great product. I cannot comment on the others, though Diamond Back generally caters to the lower price points.

-J

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Meh........if color is a worry, you ain't a mountain biker. You're going to chip all the paint off anyway. Fit is first and foremost, and somewhat base it on where and how you ride. My frame is small for my size, but it's perfect for my area. I'd be riding a larger frame in Florida, for example. Around here, I want something I can toss around easily. Geometery is perfect, though. Pay attention to the fork, as well. If the frame comes with a shorter travel fork, sure, you can upgrade to longer travel, but you're going to mess with the head tube angle and slow things down. Best to get the closest fit to what you want, and just upgrade to a better version of the same (or similar) travel. Going from 100mm to 105mm, say, isn't going to be noticable, but going from 4" to 6"? Heck yeah. You will notice the steering change. Same more or less applies to the rear end on an FS bike. If you pick one that has 4" travel, and isn't adjustable, that's what you get. Adding a longer stroke shock will not add travel. See if you can find one in your range with adjustable travel. Above all, find what fits your riding terrain, and don't go nuts. I still find long travel bikes silly for XC riding. Too much power loss for a little bit of bump soaking.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
heff® said:
Meh........if color is a worry, you ain't a mountain biker. You're going to chip all the paint off anyway. Fit is first and foremost, and somewhat base it on where and how you ride. My frame is small for my size, but it's perfect for my area. I'd be riding a larger frame in Florida, for example. Around here, I want something I can toss around easily. Geometery is perfect, though. Pay attention to the fork, as well. If the frame comes with a shorter travel fork, sure, you can upgrade to longer travel, but you're going to mess with the head tube angle and slow things down. Best to get the closest fit to what you want, and just upgrade to a better version of the same (or similar) travel. Going from 100mm to 105mm, say, isn't going to be noticable, but going from 4" to 6"? Heck yeah. You will notice the steering change. Same more or less applies to the rear end on an FS bike. If you pick one that has 4" travel, and isn't adjustable, that's what you get. Adding a longer stroke shock will not add travel. See if you can find one in your range with adjustable travel. Above all, find what fits your riding terrain, and don't go nuts. I still find long travel bikes silly for XC riding. Too much power loss for a little bit of bump soaking.
who said anything about color? and yes, i do have color preferences, i do not want an orange or purple or rainbow or pink colored frame. Does that mean i'm not a mountain biker?

and i've heard everywhere that i'm not supposed to change out the travel that is specific for the frame more than 10%, aka 10mm for a 100mm travel specific frame.

the motobecane bikes are nice, but i'm looking for a hardtail, i know i'll get better components when the manf doesn't have to buy me a shock.

my lbs said they can get me any bike from any of those listed manufacturers (my closest and fave lbs stocks CD/T/S, so i'm going to stick with those.) i was looking at the Rockhopper SL and the Cannondale F4, but not so much the treks just dont like their styling much.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Blksocks said:
I'd ride a rainbow fairy mtn bike if it's from any respectable bike company (DB pls) I would ride that sucker into the ground with a smile, too.
Buddy of mine had a pink and green paisley frame........forget where he got it from. I tried not to laugh, he could out-ride me with one leg.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
who said anything about color? and yes, i do have color preferences, i do not want an orange or purple or rainbow or pink colored frame. Does that mean i'm not a mountain biker?

and i've heard everywhere that i'm not supposed to change out the travel that is specific for the frame more than 10%, aka 10mm for a 100mm travel specific frame.

the motobecane bikes are nice, but i'm looking for a hardtail, i know i'll get better components when the manf doesn't have to buy me a shock.

my lbs said they can get me any bike from any of those listed manufacturers (my closest and fave lbs stocks CD/T/S, so i'm going to stick with those.) i was looking at the Rockhopper SL and the Cannondale F4, but not so much the treks just dont like their styling much.
Yes. If you won't ride an orange bike that fits you and rides great and pick one that looks better.........and you DID just say you don't like Treks because of the styling. :madman:

Generally speaking, if a frame is designed to use an adustable fork, say 100/130, then the angles are built toward the middle of that range. But yes, if you get a bike with a short travel fork (way back when that was 80mm) don't upgrade to a 130mm fork, you'll throw the steering off all over the place.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
heff® said:
Yes. If you won't ride an orange bike that fits you and rides great and pick one that looks better.........and you DID just say you don't like Treks because of the styling. :madman:

Generally speaking, if a frame is designed to use an adustable fork, say 100/130, then the angles are built toward the middle of that range. But yes, if you get a bike with a short travel fork (way back when that was 80mm) don't upgrade to a 130mm fork, you'll throw the steering off all over the place.
well you see how that is? the color of the bike is ultimately up to me. so there really isn't a point in any else discussing it. i just mentioned that comment about treks because it was a reason why i didn't really consider them even tho they may be great bikes.

the bikes that i've checked out dont really have adjustable forks, the f4 and the rockhopper, and whatever else you guys recommend... which would be... ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.