Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Barneys Unite!
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ridden the Weiser River Trail? I'm thinking about trying it for an "endurance" ride.

I understand it's not technical, which is OK, but is it interesting? Good scenery, etc.

TIA

·
Registered
55 Posts
Curious about this too.

Terry Floyd said:
Has anyone ridden the Weiser River Trail? I'm thinking about trying it for an "endurance" ride.

I understand it's not technical, which is OK, but is it interesting? Good scenery, etc.

TIA
I too have been various curious about this ride. Looks like a lot of fun.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Terry Floyd said:

TIA
When are you planning on riding it?

My friend and his wife somehow swindled me into doing it with them (they are horribly out of shape) sometime next month (mid/late). We are only planning on doing 20 miles total on the upper section of the trail (I seriously doubt they'll be able to finish it though...they haven't ridden their bikes since last summer :eek: ). I'll report back!

·
Registered
744 Posts
It's typical rails to trails-

I've never ridden the whole length, but have ridden a few pieces. The northern end is pretty rough- little more than a rail bed with the rails taken out- but it is in a beautiful canyon with the stream alongside. Several small trestle bridges to cross, but one or two are washed out. There's a nice portion starting in Cambridge and heading north to Council (or south from Council to Cambridge). I rode it in the spring and it was beautiful with green grass, puffy clouds and wildflowers. It's dusty and dried out now. Some sections get very remote, so be sure to have your pump, patchkit and lots of water. The parts I've riddern are a family type ride, but the trail is pretty nice if you want to log miles. If you're looking for a nice rails to trails try the route of the Hiawatha outside Wallace ID.

·
Barneys Unite!
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No real plan, yet.

Trying to get a couple of friends interested, but no response yet. I wouldn't mind doing 20-30 miles out and back from Weiser some weekend morning, but I haven't gotten much farther than thinking about it.

TF

·
Registered
744 Posts
TFloyd said:
Have you been there?

TF
Yep, It's a great family-style ride. We try to do it once a year. We usually park at the downhill end and ride up, then turnaround if the kids get tired before the end. It takes some extra driving, but I think its worth it. Last time we made it all the way up and back in true train fashion. I was towing the trail-a-bike and the burley was hooked to that! Woowooo

·
Registered
37 Posts
I rode it last fall. I went from New Meadows to Cambridge in a long day. What made it long was that my riding partners went through 12 slime tubes, and two patch kits. I ran Stan's and had ZERO issues. I never even added any air. Enough of the No Tubes props.

The trail on top is great with a little gradient. ALL the trestles were ridable. I hauled a BoB with a half a rack of beer and crushed the bejeezus out of the lunches. I guess I should not have been jumping. After 5-7 miles the gradient slacks off and it is a concerted effort to keep a good pace.

The next day we planned to ride from Cambridge down to Weiser, but since my partners had no more tubes or patches, we cooked a huge breakfast and packed it in.

Since that trip I have been told the trail has been sprayed for punctur vines and all the ties have been pulled.

Have a great trip!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.