Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm really surprised and impressed with the WeirWolf tire. I'm surprised because I really was quite skeptical of it's spindly looking knobs. I went into today's ride with the WeirWolf up front and the Exi wire bead in the back. I wanted to leave the Exi on the back so that I could get a good back to back comparison with the Nevegal that I ran up front last time.

The WW rolled fast. I could not feel any discernable difference in the way it rolls as compared with the Exi. However, the higher volume of this tire blows the Exi in the weeds and felt noticeably smoother than the Nevegal, in the chunk. I ran it at the same pressure as I did with the other tires (29 psi). This tire definetly, with out a doubt, felt much more compliant than the Nevegal or the Exi. It was almost as if I had an inch of travel up front. Very, very nice on the forearms and hands,

No flats, no rim hits.

The tire performed quite well. It didn't have quite the corning power or braking traction that the Nevegal has. But, if I had to pick a tire for up front right now...I think I would go with the WW.

I think for the next ride, I'll throw this WW on the rear and put the Nevegal back up front. I may be done with the Exiwolfs.

Real surprised.

Attachments

703 Posts
thanks aqua

I was hoping to hear exactly that, about the WW as a front. thanks, and thanks for the great looking jones shots. I'm a sucker for orange.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
would you say

The cornering of the WW is about the same as the Exi?

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
thanks jerk for the report...good to hear. I am due for tires soon.

and by the way, looks like you are a little buffer nowadays from that first pic

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
FoShizzle said:
and by the way, looks like you are a little buffer nowadays from that first pic
Thanks, Fomer. My ass looks tight as well, no?

Unit:

The WW up front felt very similar(to the Exi), to me in the corners. If anything, a bit more bite, which makes sense . It may have a bit less knobbage in the center and the knobs are very low profile, like the Exi.... But, those angled rows of side knobs seem to do their job, without suddenly letting go, when the limit of traction has been exceeded.

The thing that really struck me was the cushion that this tire provided. For a bike with a rigid front end it was heads and shoulders more comfortable than the Exi and noticeably more compliant than the Nevegal.

Attachments

·
Samsonite Tester
3,993 Posts
The WW in 26 at 2.1 and 2.35 had a square profile tread. Square center knobs to the edge knob, like the Pana Smoke. The WW 2.5 in 29" , looks to be a round profile of knobs, more like a Hutchi Python. Is this so ? Because of a narrow rim ?

The edgy feel of the last row of knobs on the 26" WW's was a comfort for me. When it was leaned over and at break-away , there is a definate feel to the last bit of traction. The break-loose point was not a surprise. Reeling in the drift was smooth , i beleive due to the anglular row of edge knobs. No instant hook-up and high-side fears. This is a top three all-time front tire for me for this square profile.

Seems that this will be more like my fav front the Specialized 2.5 ?????? (Circa 1990-92) It had triple rows of chevron treads. Big round profile with the low line of knob rolling right in prefect transistion to side lean, no knob to knob row transfer. Not as grippy as a Smoke on the front but the drift was more controllable and the 2.5 size gave an inch of suspension in the full ridgid olden days.:thumbsup:

Looking foward to wedging one of these 2.5 WW bubble tires in my reba. Maybe good results will lead to a trip to the rigid past.:D

P.S. Anyone (Shiggy) remember this 2.5 Specialized tyre? Its smaller size , 2.0 or 2.1?, version was billed as a mud tyre, with double rows of deeper chevron tread pattern. Very heavy mud grapping tread foldover at hard surface hard braking, shat tyre all around. Probally killed its bigger namesake for being so bad.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Evel Knievel said:
The WW 2.5 in 29" , looks to be a round profile of knobs, more like a Hutchi Python. Is this so ? Because of a narrow rim ?
Yes, it is a more rounded profile, even on wider rims. I have them mounted on delgado disc at 28mm and they are quite rounded. Lean it over far and they will break loose quick but generally go into a nice controlled drift as the break away is smooth. They reel back in with no sudden highside causing jerks. Great high volume fast dry pack tire, but has poor braking traction front or rear. Even tried rear in reverse direction with only slightly better braking.

G

·
what tires?

i see a cute MTB girl in a few shots though.

(not 29er related)

hey Aqua... i nailed the rock jump at cocktail today on the socom. i got over the fear after almost face planting on the Enduro. :madman:

·
trail fairy
9,546 Posts
Be wary of the WW Ive found it fantastic in certain conditions and a nightmare in others, wet hard base terrain e.g clay based in wet the WW is a like riding on ice with bare feet.
Dry sand scetchy at best plus Ive found the knobs on bridges and skinny's pretty scary to other tires.

In other conditions Ive loved this tire, wet sand based it rocks firm hardpack with no loose stuff if you rail it onto the edges fast it is awesome, Ive run a 2.5 WW for awhile now, but I'd choose the 2.5 Nev/BG/Big Betty/Minion DHF over it for more all round conditions just me I guess, plus I got my first flatty in 5 years with this tire its pretty thin compared to others, still in its element its hard to beat:thumbsup:

·
3,049 Posts
Be advised: the 29" tire in question here is the Weirwolf LT, basically a completely different tread than the standard Weirwolf.

Trailadvent, let me know what tire doesn't suck in wet clay, eh?

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
I concur. The WeirWolf is a fantastic tire. I rode in the snowy rocks yesterday and ran nice and low pressure. i was able to clean sequences on the rock sections that i have never done before even in the dry. (I am running them front and rear on Salsa DD Rims)

The whole ride is here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=250254

Attachments

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
P.S. Anyone (Shiggy) remember this 2.5 Specialized tyre? Its smaller size , 2.0 or 2.1?, version was billed as a mud tyre, with double rows of deeper chevron tread pattern. Very heavy mud grapping tread foldover at hard surface hard braking, shat tyre all around. Probally killed its bigger namesake for being so bad.
Pretty sure that's the Cannibal, my second fav all time front tire (TimberWolf 2.5 kevlar in the 26" my favorite).

Mike

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ionsmuse said:
basically a completely different tread than the standard Weirwolf.
same tread, just a "shaved" version.

ionsmuse said:
Trailadvent, let me know what tire doesn't suck in wet clay, eh?
I was thinking the same!

He must have done a search for weirwolf and didn't realize this thread was in the 29er forum.

·
3,049 Posts
mud'n'sweat said:
same tread, just a "shaved" version.
I dunno. Looking at photos of the "normal" 26", the placement of the center knobs w/r/t the outer knobs looks a bit different.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
ionsmuse said:
I dunno. Looking at photos of the "normal" 26", the placement of the center knobs w/r/t the outer knobs looks a bit different.
You may be right, I have never owned the 26" version myself so I haven't been able to look at the two side by side. The press release said both 26" and 29" LT's were the same, just factory shaved as their race team had been shaving them themselves already. Not sure exactly were I read that.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
The specs on the various WW versions are all over the place as far as tread depth, tread compounds, casings and sidewall reinforcement.

Even the 26" and 29" LT versions seem to differ, as the 29" does not advertise the "Inner Peace" sidewall reinforcement feature (or they forgot to print the logo on the sidewall). It might explain why my 29" version is lighter than my 26" version.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts