Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. I'm building a Rigid 29er.

I want some FAT tires to take off some of the rigid sting. I've searched the forums relentless, narrowed my choices down, and have a few questions.

1. Panaracer Rampage 2.3

Anyone running these tubeless with sealant with good sucess? I've heard mixed reviews on Panaracer tubeless.

How do they compare size wise to the WeirWolf LT?

2. WeirWolf LT 2.55

Same question, hook up well with stans?

Verified weights? Claimed is 940g, Porky! I've seen some people list them below 800?

Good rear tire mate?

Your help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Weirwolf

This may not be the help you are looking for but...

I have a weirwolf 2.55 and really don't like it much. the LT version (all the 29ers in a 2.55 are LT) has very short tread blocks. I like more knob this time of year.

I am using Nevegals, and like them very much for cornering in mucky conditions or wet snow.

As far as volume and how big the tire looks...I really do not see MUCH difference between the two tires...or for the Exiwolf for that matter. (all look about the same...the WW obviously is slightly larger).

As for tubeless...I don't want to try a non wire 29er tubeless, but many have done just that with the tires you mention (and the Nevegal) and report good results.

I am sure that the WW is a great tire for many, for my conditions and riding....I like other tires better...(go figure....there certainly are more opinions than tires choices right now).

There is some great info regarding volume and such in this thread...http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=240891&highlight=rampage+weirwolf+nevegal

·
Appalachian Singletrack'n
1,444 Posts
I can’t help with the stans part but I own both these tires and have ridden them on rigid bikes and the Weirwolf gives up a much more comfy ride. It has thinner more flexible casing and seems to have more volume. IMHO the Weirwolf is the best 29” tire out for taking the edge off rigid riding. The Weirwolf does very poorly in muddy conditions though and that may be a consideration for you.

·
Mtbr Founder
35,503 Posts
I have all three mounted tubeless at the moment. All of them are no problem to inflate tubeless. The real issue is the rim. With a Stans rim, everything inflates easy with just the yellow plastic tape. With other rims, you have to play with the Stans rubber tape permutations so you get a tight fit.

I'll take photos later but essentially, all three tires look equally big. The Rampage and the Nevegal are very similar. Both have similar sized casing and have huge blocky knobs. Both these tires are the king of cornering in any kind of condition. The key difference between them is the Nevegal uses softer knobs on the sides so cornering should be a tad better. Both of them run a tad slow and the rear tire can be reversed to maximize climbing traction.

The Weirwolf LT is a bit different. It accomplishes it's big size with big tire volume. It is a bigger bubble. But since the knobs are so short, it's appearance and frame clearance issues look the same as the previous two tires. Because of its bigger volume, it has more cush and you can run lower pressures. It is also a faster tire. It is perfect for high traction conditions. It is very smooth and quite predictable. In very loose stuff, it will break off since there's very little side knobs. But... my friends at WTB say the tire is stable at the limit since there are no tall knobs to bend around. They say it's a great tire for two-wheel drifting. But I don't have the skill, so their Downieville descent records are safe from me. ;)

http://www.mtbtires.com/ is the bible for this stuff.

fc

·
the train keeps rollin
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New England Tech XC for the most part. Roots n Rock, with some Bufff now and then.. Typically the trails are dry, tacky, or muddy.

There's not much in terms of loose silty chalk.

I think I could get away with the WeirWolf, but the lack of side knobs has me wondering, the comfort factor looks to be the best though, which would really help out the rigid factor.

I'm thinking I order a set of Rampage, and 1 WW, play with them.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
No free lunch...

It all depends on how much traction you need. Personally I like a bigger casing tire with smaller, spaced out tread. Run at slightly lower volumes, and high volume-low tread tires roll very fast yet still hook up very well. Sure a WW won't hook up like a full knobbie but it should roll much faster. You can't have it all.

It's funny, sort of ironic, how everybody is looking for super large aggressive 29" tires. I've found coming from a 26 to a 29" wheel I need less rubber, not more, to get the same benefit. Wasn't that the idea, better cornering, better climbing traction, more supple ride? Yet I see folk's who were quite happy riding 2.1 to 2.3" tires on their 26" rigs now "needing" 2.5" tires on their 29" rigs. Admittedly I've done the same thing to a degree. I've found I can now ride a rigid 29" bike like a FS 26" trail bike, as long as I have fat tires on it.

Anyway, I guess I got of topic. Hope yo can get something out of that.

Oh yeah, my WW weighed in at about 745g.

·
3,049 Posts
snowdrifter said:
New England Tech XC for the most part. Roots n Rock, with some Bufff now and then.. Typically the trails are dry, tacky, or muddy.

I think I could get away with the WeirWolf, but the lack of side knobs has me wondering, the comfort factor looks to be the best though, which would really help out the rigid factor.

I think the downside of the Weirwolf for you would be the mud. Otherwise, the WW does very well cornering. It is very comfy.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I've had a set of Rampages for a month or so and absolutley love them!

They are great for our trails snowdrifter. We can hook up this weekend and you can check them out.

-dan

·
Registered
236 Posts
i've been using the rampage up front and the WW out back, both are mounted to stans rims with the yellow tape and gunk. both aired up nicely and didn't have any of the pin hole problems i've had with other tires. i also live in new england, the WW up front is fine but the extra knobbage on the rampage keeps you hooked up over the rocky rooty stuff. don't know how the WWs do in the mud but they've been a great snow tire. the rampage wieghed in @ 765g and 770g and the WW are both 735g.

e

·
rigid bruce
179 Posts
The weirwolf is a great tire for me. I'm running it front and rear on a rigid SS Curtlo. I don't ride in a lot of mud. It rolls very fast, is smooth on pavement and hooks up great on the technical, rocky trails of NW NJ. I'm running pressures of about 18 front & 20 rear (I'm 142 lbs) and it's super comfortable. It's by far my favorite 29er tire.

bruce boysen

·
_
850 Posts
i'm running a rampage up front, "stanitized" on a bontrager 'mustang' wheel and it seeled up no problem(didnt have to add any of the tape, just the rim strip). im in so cal, so my trail conditions are quite different than yours, but i love the grip the rampage provides out here.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
unit said:
I have a weirwolf 2.55 and really don't like it much. the LT version (all the 29ers in a 2.55 are LT) has very short tread blocks. I like more knob this time of year.
(snickers politely) Uhhh, maybe you should keep that kind of stuff to yourself, eh?!?!? :eekster:

Miker J said:
It's funny, sort of ironic, how everybody is looking for super large aggressive 29" tires. I've found coming from a 26 to a 29" wheel I need less rubber, not more, to get the same benefit. Wasn't that the idea, better cornering, better climbing traction, more supple ride? Yet I see folk's who were quite happy riding 2.1 to 2.3" tires on their 26" rigs now "needing" 2.5" tires on their 29" rigs. Admittedly I've done the same thing to a degree. I've found I can now ride a rigid 29" bike like a FS 26" trail bike, as long as I have fat tires on it.
Ironnic? Yeah, I guess you could say that. I'd like to think that it's more "devine education". Once people learn bigger IS better they want to max it out in many aspects. ;) Well, that's MY story and i'm stickin' to it. :thumbsup: Big wheels, big tires and big fun. :)

My two WW's weigh in at 724 and 773 grams. Not saying a word.

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Me - WW up front, Rampage in rear. Dry, loose shale conditions in Phoenix, AZ. I run the WW up front for cushion, and it is the best so far in that department, and the Rampage in rear for grip/traction pounding up the loose hills full of shale and such on my single speed.

No wet or muddy conditions. I don't corner fast, so the WW has not been an issue for me. I love this combo.

·
RIDE TO LIVE
464 Posts
I ride in New England, mostly MA, CT and sometimes NH and ME. I have a set of Rampages mounted to Stans 355's tubeless and this combo rocks for the conditions we have right now (some snow/ice but considerable dry sections). Consider running the Rampages from mid fall thru mid spring and once things dry up a bit then try a set of WW. Thats my plan. For now it rampages for me. BTW, I have been thru a set of Kenda Klaws, Bonty ACX's and Exiwolf's and the Rampages smoke all of them for aggressive riding.

·
29er Geek
1,529 Posts
snowdrifter said:

I run the weirwolf's on my 26er (the center knobs are a lil beefer on the 26er as far as I can tell) and they rock here in new England. I live ON Mt A and ride here all the time...the weirwolf up front is PERFECT and in back does an admirable job...no terrible packing up in muck. Awesome on loam.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.