Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my ride on last Saturday, so Sunday was hike with the wife day. We go hit the Pink Beds loop and I see some real weirdness. Going clockwise, the wider trail that intersects with Barnett and MTS, is blown clean all the way from the parking lot. I mean with leaf blowers kinda blown clean. I'm not losing my mind here either, there was not so much as a pine needle on the trail and you could see where the trail debris was blown all up into the woods. Is this some sorta new trail maintenence? Seems cleaning a trail down to the dirt would be counter-productive. Maybe there were some visiting dignitaries here for a stroll in the forest and the CIA was in charge of cleaning the woods, or aliens came down......

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
HHHHMMMM I was thru there Thursday night and I didn't notice anything, but it was getting dark.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
motobutane said:
HHHHMMMM I was thru there Thursday night and I didn't notice anything, but it was getting dark.
This was yesterday I was there and it looked like it had just been done. I also noticed there seemed to have been a large group of campers in the first field to the right as go out the left fork. The really big fire ring and scattered hay bales looked out of place there. I should have taken a picture, it was strange.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Oh yeah its a prerequisite to be weird/strange when you enter the National Forrest around here now.

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
"Asheville Weird" must be spreading.

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
They used to use leaf blowers when I lived in Charlotte on the trails. I'm not sure if they were trying to keep riders safe from all those dangerous leaves or if they were using them to dry the trails but they sure used leaf blowers out there :eek:

I wonder if they are getting ready to do some work to the flooded part of the loop or maybe even a burn that led to the leaf blowing? I mean I know Pink Beds gets a little wet at times but not to the point we need dry it with leaf blowers.

·
Pisgah-Pale-Alien
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The right leg (going CCW) is the part wrecked by beavers, this is the long relatively flat wide section going the other way.
Probably the least likely candidate for trail maintenence in all of PNF, there has to be another reason.

·
endorphin junkie
422 Posts
driftwood said:
I mean I know Pink Beds gets a little wet at times but not to the point we need dry it with leaf blowers.
Hmmm... maybe we could mount these to our front forks...

·
Registered
48 Posts
driftwood said:
They used to use leaf blowers when I lived in Charlotte on the trails. I'm not sure if they were trying to keep riders safe from all those dangerous leaves or if they were using them to dry the trails but they sure used leaf blowers out there :eek:
I've done leaf blowing at Southside / Croft on leaves so that the trails dry faster after the rain. Not sure why anyone would blow pine needles though.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
mike_sc said:
I've done leaf blowing at Southside / Croft on leaves so that the trails dry faster after the rain. Not sure why anyone would blow pine needles though.
I would have thought that the leaves would tend to soak up water, and also protect wet trails just a bit from the effects of knobbies. Seems quite counterproductive to me. Explain to me where I'm wrong.

·
Registered
302 Posts
litespeedchick said:
I would have thought that the leaves would tend to soak up water, and also protect wet trails just a bit from the effects of knobbies. Seems quite counterproductive to me. Explain to me where I'm wrong.
Think of leaves like a layer of mulch used in a landscape. The main purpose of mulch, among other things, is to block the sun and wind so the soil will retain moisture. Leaves do the same thing. Also once leaves are sliced into thousands of pieces, by our knobbies, they break down very rapidly and can be transported easily by rains or be worked into loose soil. This is one of the major sources of debris which can clog areas where water normally exits the trail.

Who ever did blow PB had some mad skills with a blower. I have never seen such perfect edge work on a trail. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
48 Posts
litespeedchick said:
You are correct on both counts, but they also prevent any water evaporation. In cases where the trail is not 100% properly sloped and drained, it will hold water under leaves for a week or longer, whereas it would dry in 1-2 days with air and sunlight. Locals would know to avoid areas for a few days, but it would be hard to hold off a week after rains. The result of riding on leaves above mud is leaves churned into mud, which in turn retains water longer on future rains until the trail is destroyed there.

Disclaimer: This might not apply to other types of soils / trails; this was a few years ago and I'm not a trail expert.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
Forget aliens - sounds like PASA /Sanford County peeps are involved. OMG - are the migrating?

:yikes:

·
drunken pirate
1,414 Posts
1 - 20 of 33 Posts