Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I had to have some work done on my left big toe - that meant open toed shoes for three weeks! I bought a pair of Shimano mountain bike sandals and kept riding.

Segue to this summer when I had a small contreps with a heavy electric motor and had to go open toed again. Thank you Shimano!

I don't know if they are still available, but they work when no other shoe would. Also, they are by far the heaviest bike shoes I've ever seen and they look really geeky with socks on.

Anyone else got a pair?

Registered
Years ago I had to have some work done on my left big toe - that meant open toed shoes for three weeks! I bought a pair of Shimano mountain bike sandals and kept riding.

Segue to this summer when I had a small contreps with a heavy electric motor and had to go open toed again. Thank you Shimano!

I don't know if they are still available, but they work when no other shoe would. Also, they are by far the heaviest bike shoes I've ever seen and they look really geeky with socks on.

Anyone else got a pair?
Contretemps?

covfeve. 馃ぃ

Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
Had a pair -- loved them. Wore them out. I mean until they fell a part.

I might get some more...
=sParty

Registered
I have two pairs. I forget the one brand, but the other is Exustar.

I'm from Miami originally, so I wear sandals/flip flops when weather permits.

The first pair were great until I descended Bennett Gap trail in Pisgah. Rocky, technical trail. I smashed my toes on a rock.

I picked up the Exustars because they had more toe protection. However, I now only use them if there's little to no risk my toes will be crushed (e.g. flow trails, road riding, etc.).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Administrator
I appreciate the sandals but the weirdest mountain biking shoes were the raceface vogs. A collaboration between raceface and John Fluevog with spd compatibility and Fleuvog style. I have a couple pairs of plain old vogs and I can't imagine riding in them but these are cool AF.

Outdoor shoe Walking shoe Grey Athletic shoe Electric blue

Administrator
I rode with a buddy who had them on a weekly mixed surface ride (sandy track, mild single track, gravel roads). He loved them on hot days. Wore them sockless of course.
I remember riding with a guy in Arizona who wore them. Then he didn't. I recall that he hit a cactus with his foot and realized that having leather between your toes and especially the top of your foot and cactus spines was preferable.

Registered
Honorable mention for weirdest mountain bike shoes were the KEEN Austin spd's. The yin to the Shimano spd sandal yang.

lol - These are perfect if you're a mid to late 40s dad still riding your '98 Gary Fischer. I only say this b/c I'm 43 and my childhood friend actually wears regular keens riding his '98 Gary if he attends our once a year get together in Pisgah.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.