Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after over a decade of adopting all other bike "fads" early, i finally gave in to tubeless (thanks to mikesee for tips)

anyways i like it, was easy to do. thing is...i'm running lower pressures than normal (24/27) and the tires don't flatten out very much under weight and feel quite stiff....but several different gauges agree on the pressure. FWIW rampage/fireXC on flows.

they feel really nice, is this a tubeless thing?

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Strange...

The inflated tubes in a tire reinforce the rigidity of the sidewalls of that tire, making it slightly 'stiffer' in feel.

Remove the tubes ... and the sidewalls have less support, so they feel 'softer' and more compliant. One of the nice things about tubeless.

Mine do, at any rate... :)

R.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rainman said:
Strange...
The inflated tubes in a tire reinforce the rigidity of the sidewalls of that tire, making it slightly 'stiffer' in feel.
Remove the tubes ... and the sidewalls have less support, so they feel 'softer' and more compliant. One of the nice things about tubeless.
Mine do, at any rate... :)
R.
my tubed tires sag under weight a lot more, at a higher pressure than my tubeless. a friend commented on it while riding today, that my tires looked like they are pumped to max psi when they are actually lower than ever. i thought the same thing as you should occur...

but the tubeless feel softer and more compliant while riding...? anyways it feels pretty nice, gotta say the stans was easy.

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
(scratching head)....gotta agree with Rainman here.

I think it might have something to do with your tires, because I have not done either of those tubeless, but if you "just" set these up, ride them and wait. I think you'll see a difference in a few rides time.

My Vulpine conversions were not too impressive looking at first either, but after a few rides, they are planting more of the tread down and the feel is phenomenal. (Saying a Vulpine has "tread" is a stretch, I know but anyway......)

Otherwise, this doesn't jive at all with my experiences. My experiences match Raiman's experiences more closely.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ferday said:
after over a decade of adopting all other bike "fads" early, i finally gave in to tubeless (thanks to mikesee for tips)

anyways i like it, was easy to do. thing is...i'm running lower pressures than normal (24/27) and the tires don't flatten out very much under weight and feel quite stiff....but several different gauges agree on the pressure. FWIW rampage/fireXC on flows.

they feel really nice, is this a tubeless thing?
I can speak to the Fire XC Pro as I run those tubeless on wide rims (Delgado Discs and Blunts). They have a very sturdy sidewall and I think you can run it even lower than you are to remove some of the stiffness. I run mine between 16 - 22 psi (according to my Topeak digital pressure gauge). I also notice how stiff my tubeless converted tires feel on wide rims if taking the air pressure up over 22 psi. A Nanoraptor, for instance, feels stiff as a rock at 25 psi. So your 24/27 psi might actually be much higher than you need. That might work for the narrower tires (Crows, XR 1.8's, Karma 1.9's etc...), but many find it is too much and too stiff for the larger volume meats.

Keep experimenting with the air pressure by notching it down little by little until you find the right mix of cushion, traction and suppleness. Regardless, it is a "tubeless" thing that you can run lower pressures on the wider rims. 25 is the new 40.:D

BB

·
Registered
430 Posts
I run rampages tubeless, and they have very soft sidewalls. Squirmy tire, but tons of traction. I can't run the pressure as low as I can with nevegals because they are so soft. So you are having a weird experience. Are you sure you removed the tubes ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.