Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought what I thought was a 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit, which has a listed seat post diameter of 28.6. However, the seat post on mine measures about 35mm. Is it older than I thought? Does anyone know which year this is? Thanks!

·
Registered
9,520 Posts
BCR said:
I bought what I thought was a 2003 Santa Cruz Bullit, which has a listed seat post diameter of 28.6. However, the seat post on mine measures about 35mm. Is it older than I thought? Does anyone know which year this is? Thanks!
I thought older Bullit's were 28.6" newer were 34.9 ???

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
The 1.5" head tube are from last year's badge.

My 2005 end of the year bullit classic had 1 1/8

As far as I know, it should be a 07.

Can you show us a picture? or can you describe the single pivot? Either one of those alone will be able to i.d. your bullit model type.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
That looks like a '99-'02 model to me. The '03 -'05 ('05 was the last year) had a gusset plate at the each side of the headtube. I thought all old school Bullits were 28.6 seatposts from '99-'05, but I won't swear to that one. My '03 (2nd generation) has the same seatpost as my '99. Looking at that pic is hard to qualify the headtube with the Shiver fork...maybe an optical illusion. On the measurement of the seattube, are you sure you're not measuring the OD of the tube? Bullits had a 34.9mm OD for the front derailleur mount, and that's awfully close to 35mm. On the other hand, you could have some oddball Bullit that was a prototype test mule from SC or something, but companies don't normally let those get away from factory personnel because of liability and such.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The diameter of the seatpost is 34.9mm, not the exterior diameter of the frame seat tube. It must be a one-off. I'll see if I can contact the previous owner to see if he knows the real story. Thanks for the help.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Interesting...I don't see a front der on there...and maybe you can't fit one because if the seatpost is 35mm, is there even a front der made that big?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
not sure - was set up as a 1x8 downhill bike and that's what I plan to keep it as, so no big deal to me. some of the newer sc's have a 34.9mm seat post, so I'm sure there is a front to fit it.

I'm beginning to believe that it was a prototype from 2003 where they were playing around with a 1.5" head tube and larger diameter seat post. the frame decals that were on there in earlier photos I have of it appear to be the ones that were on 2003's. not that it matters, but it's somewhat of a gauge.

finishing the build next weekend - the parts are in the mail to me as we speak. looking forward to some lift served with it on Saturday. thanks again for the help.

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
BCR...maybe I'm missing something here. I just looked on Thomson's site, and the biggest seatpost I see is 32.4mm. That looks like a Thomson post in your Bullit. Are you sure that's a 35mm seatpost? I'm certainly not claiming to know everything about Thomson posts...or Bullits for that matter.

The more I look at your pic, the more I think that's a '99-'02 model. I think I see a slight bend in the seattube, and I'm just about positive that the headtube would have the '03 and later gusset. The cable routing is definitely '99-'02. The shock shuttle looks "inline" at all the bolt holes rather than "offset". I notice there's a 6" rotor at the rear instead of an 8"...'99-'02 model swingarms wouldn't take an 8" rotor.

This shouldn't be a big deal. I have a '99 and the 2nd generation '03 Bullit and both are great.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Im totally with you TNC, ive just had a look at my old and new Bullits and to me that definately looks like a 99-02 Bullit. My new Bullit has a beer can as a headtube which the one in the pic doesnt! It looks the same as my 04 without the gussets and the seat tube looks skinny like my 04 which is 27.2 inner and 34.9 outer, from memory?
If it quaks like a duck?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.