Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you guys ride a cyclocross bike on singletrack. Like tech singletrack, not rail trails or smooth fire roads, but down and dirty singletrack. Just curious. And if you do, could you post a pic of the bike you use to do this. I am interested in getting into cyclocross, but want to ride it on singletrack too if possible! Thanks, JC

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
BigRingBash said:
Do any of you guys ride a cyclocross bike on singletrack. Like tech singletrack, not rail trails or smooth fire roads, but down and dirty singletrack. Just curious. And if you do, could you post a pic of the bike you use to do this. I am interested in getting into cyclocross, but want to ride it on singletrack too if possible! Thanks, JC
Used to, but it hurt my back too much because I was too hunched over and jumping around so much.

If you have any doubt to the insanity that can be inflicted with a cyclocross bike, seek out Terminaut's posts.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have ridden most of the local singletrack around here on my cross bike. the riding style on the cross bike differs somewhat as the position changes and I go from disc to canti's. I personally like the new look a cross bike gives to the trail. I ride the DDX by slingshot. As 'cross season has ended they are really giving the consumer a deal. check out the site.
I really encourage people to get into the cross bikes. the bike is great as it lends itself to trail riding and paved riding, while certainly not excelling in all categories it does enable you to ride whatever you want. get a cross bike, any bike, i am sure you will not regret it. there have been days where i was out on a road ride and saw a sliver of trail that was beckoning me to find out where it went, on a cross bike you can.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
There were a couple of riders last season who rode cross bikes on our relatively flat courses. They didn't seem to suffer from having skinny tires so I put tubulars on my Rig. I had considered putting drop bars on the rig too but the lack of climbing leverage is something I don't want to live with.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I use my redline conquest pro on singletrack. I don't have a current pic, as I am now running lx/mavic a319 rims with avid discs. I love the different aspect a cross bike gives to trails I ride frequently. Also use it as a high speed commuter on a mix of fireroad, gravel, singletrack and pavement that gets me about a 15 mile ride to and from work.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You will regret it if your front wheel wipes out on a root, and you break your hip.
You got to run the tire pressure high not to pinch flat, leaving even less grip than you already had. You will get beat up too.
Good for your cross skills yes. Wise thing to do, no.
Build a monster cross bike that can run a 2.3 inch tire, and you'll be fine.

·
dumb ass
330 Posts
mvi said:
You will regret it if your front wheel wipes out on a root, and you break your hip.
You got to run the tire pressure high not to pinch flat, leaving even less grip than you already had. You will get beat up too.
Good for your cross skills yes. Wise thing to do, no.
wtf...

like falling on my regular mtb isn't gonna break my hip[??] or more??

i rode singletrack on my redline all the time and have rode the same trails on my il pompino also. great fun, but you will pinch flat at some time.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I started riding CX bikes on singletrack when I built my Redline back in 1997. I could just blow up the climbs on a 700x28 tire setup. Over the years I started pushing bigger tires and got closest to what I wanted with tubeless Ritchey ZEDs on my Cross-Check.

However, when I started working for Willits a little more than year ago I saw Wes's 28-Incher and was seriously jonesin for unlimited possibilities. I see guys on FS bikes who constantly tell me to get "real" bars and stuff like that, yet there I am at the top of the climb with them. Kind of strange. I really really like the challenge.

My ride.

Some other guys.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
mtnbykr©™ said:
wtf...

like falling on my regular mtb isn't gonna break my hip[??] or more??

i rode singletrack on my redline all the time and have rode the same trails on my il pompino also. great fun, but you will pinch flat at some time.
Point is, you have to nurse a crossbike around a course where you will RACE your mtb.You might look rad though, if thats what you are into. And I have three cross bikes in the basement.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't ride for "rad looks"

mvi said:
Point is, you have to nurse a crossbike around a course where you will RACE your mtb.You might look rad though, if thats what you are into. And I have three cross bikes in the basement.
Its like going to a full rigid after full suspension, you'll slow a little but use more skill and be a better rider in the end. In some places it will be faster than a MTB but not in technical sections. If you ride for fun, RIDE WHAT IS FUN! Its probably not fun for hardcore MTB racers. Alot of people believe Cross is why the Europeans smoke the US riders in a US created sport. It will make you faster on a MTB and in technical cross races in the end.

·