Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
you know the density of al is 2,7g/cm, right? or at least you should easily find this information. moreover you know the volume of metal that you want to cut off; meaning you are able to calculate it. and, of course, you know what the relation between weight, volume and density is, don't you?

·
Registered
104 Posts
It is much more than 5gr per 10mm, can tell you without doing any math. I just cut a new seatpost that was the same diameter as a standard threadless steer but my steerer wall thickness is about 3 times thicker than the post, and the post was almost 4gr per 10mm.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Measure again.

BlackCat said:
Alright, let's see. Outside diameter is 28.575mm (1 1/8") and inside diameter is 21.5mm. So (28.575 - 21.5) / 2 + 21.5 = 25.0375mm is the center with a wall thickness of 3.5375mm. 2 * Pi * 25.0375 = 157.315mm circumference * 10mm height * 3.5375mm thickness = 5565.018 cubic millimeters / 1000 = 5.565 cubic centimeters * 2.7grams per cubic centimeter = 15.026 grams per 10mm of steerer. 300% more than originally stated. Care to retort?
What did you actually measure? Try showing a picture instead of editing your amazing 8th grade math and [email protected] attitude next time.

I have yet to see an aluminum steer tube greater than ~2.5 mm wall thickness. I've got pieces from 4 different steer tubes (Fox, Marzocchi, & Noleen) and all are less than 2.5 mm.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Yes, it varies, but not that much.

The original poster has a lightweight fork to begin with. I doubt the steer tube on that fork weighs more than 0.5 g/mm. Even the steer tube on my 130 mm Fox doesn't weigh that much and it's the heaviest I've measured.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Why would you want a steerer tube that's longer than it needs to be in the first place? I see two options. (1) Cut it off and weigh it. (2) Measure i.d., o.d. length, find out what kind of aluminum it is and do the math.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.