Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got four Nokian NBX lites, 2.0 in the mail from QBP. They ranged from 521 to 541 grams. That's way above the two that I am currently riding. I think they were around 480. What happened? Has anyone else had this problem? If I am going to use a 541 gram tire, I think I would choose something else.
I just got four new Python Airlights that all weighed around 500 grams. That was disappointing as well, but almost within the margin of error I expect.

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
ooops...

i weighed at least 20 of those tires and they all ranged from 450-490g. usually around 470g. i always got rid of those over 470g but at 500+ i wouldn't mount them.that's just a bit too much for such a skinny tire even when it is fast and grippy. get rid of them and order some others.

·
Just passing through....
1,331 Posts
Thats surprising that they are that far off. It creates hassles when you order them through the mail and find that they are not really what you ordered. Manufacturers should be more careful.

I've had the same problem with the Python Airlights. They claim 480 grams yet every one that I've weighed has been well over 500 grams, some over 520. Thats what I like about Maxxis. At least the tires are always less than the claimed weight.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey, what about the 21.2 watts.......with more weight/rubber?

nino said:
i weighed at least 20 of those tires and they all ranged from 450-490g. usually around 470g. i always got rid of those over 470g but at 500+ i wouldn't mount them.that's just a bit too much for such a skinny tire even when it is fast and grippy. get rid of them and order some others.
I just got two Nokians from Cambria Bike and already mounted one without weighing it.
Anyway my scale is a fairly accurate hanging spring scale for lighter weights....up to 2 kilos....and while I don't trust it from zero.........If I hang a weighted bag and then measure the reading before and after adding parts, then do the math, it works fairly close as long as you are willing to be up to 5 grams off due to interpreting the 20 gram increments.

Oh let me first say that my previous Nokians had always been at or under 480 grams on this same scale..
So I do the math on this one and YIKES!!.......I'm getting about 520 grams!! Fairly certain with my scale that its at least 515+.......

Now, I am not nearly as concerned about weight as many of you, but as you may have noted in my previous posts, I AM concerned about rolling resistance.
I can live with an extra 20 or even 50 grams IF I was still certain that the tire was getting the 21.2 watts rating that we saw in the German testing..

Nino, do you have any thoughts about what this extra rubber may be doing to the rolling resistance characteristics?

I mean, if these changes push the tire up to a reading of 26.2w like the Python Air Lights, then why am I paying $31 to $40 for Nokians when I can get Pythons for $19 at Jenson Bike?

Whats going on here? Do you think at 440 to 480, they were just getting to many problems with the threads showing through so quickly? One of my first Nokians had that problem.

Just by way of comparison, I just weighed the old Nokian I took off. The center knobs on that one had been worn almost completely smooth so I expected it to be a bit lighter.
My reading on that one, using the same scale was exactly 460 grams. Not sure how much had been worn off but I'm guessing it was a proper weight when new....about 480 or so.

I'll weigh the new one I just put on yesterday, later today or tomorrow and report back..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts