Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
SS FR HT
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see some of your lightest/heaviest DH/FR bikes and there actual weights. Heres mine 42 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
I'd take a picture of my bike, but i have it in pieces all over my workshop lol. It's winter season here, and i tore it down for a rebuild / maintenance and to send off my DHX 5.0 to get it factory tuned by Push... here's the stats though 38.1 pounds the weigh it is now, can save lots of weight but it's low enough.

05 Yeti ASX
Fork: 07 Boxxer WC
Shock: DHX 5.0 *soon to be factory tuned/pushed*
Wheelset: Industry 9 Red, laced to Mavic 823's
Tires: Minion 2.5 UST F/R
Cranks: Shimano Hone
Brakes: Juicy Carbons
Thompson elite seatpost, Slim Jim seat
Blackspire stinger 2 ring chain tensioner
Shimano Deore ft shifter/derailer
Sram X-9 Rear Der, X-7 rear shifter
Cassette: Sram 9.0

i can drop quite a bit of weight if i really want to, i used to run 2.1 / 2.3 single ply tires on it and had it mid 36 pounds, when i was trying to get it as pedal friendly as possible, but i kinda gave up on that it pedals quite well, and kicks arse for fr/dh i'll just save some cash and buy a cheap ht for my XC exploits~.

·
Addicted
749 Posts
My Intense M3 38lbs. Lots of weight to be shaved. Such as a new rear shock or even a Ti spring, lighter cranks, going full XO, new tires, going tubeless, lighter wheels....

My Astrix Havoc 42lbs. Lots of weight to be shaved. Lighter tires, wheels, and rear shock. The big thing is the rear shock. It weighs a whopping 3.5lbs. I have new spokes and nipples on the way that will bring my wheels down to 1770g, I'll make the switch to ghetto tubeless and go with a set of Kenda's, get a Ti sprung shock on the way and make a run to the local Nut/Bolt experts to get setup with some lighter hardware for my pivots. I should be able to bring it down the about 40lbs without going to single ply tires or carbon bars.

Personlly I prefer the Havoc over the M3 despite there being a 4lb difference. The Havoc has much smoother suspension and the floating brake is amazing. My only complaint with the Havoc is that it's a bit large for my day to day downhill, but it is exactly what I'm after for racing.

-Kevin

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,984 Posts
Raptordude said:
I'm calling Shinanegans on your 37.8 lbs claim.
yep....just ask coma13 or alloy or GnaR9...../lets just say some hidden stuff

·
Im a Cowboy
791 Posts
Raptordude said:
I'm calling Shinanegans on your 37.8 lbs claim.
Dont want to call anyone a liar, but I have trouble believing it too, and the other m3 at 38
are the wheels ultralight or something?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Heres an actual weight!!

Already done Ti spring, LG1, Carbon bars, need to do something with the rims(mavic 729's), that's the only place I can make serious progress and maybe the cranks, but I'm happy with the saints.(and the rest of the bike for that matter)

Think there's 1.5 lbs to save just by going to UST over the current setup. Anybody got any crank suggestions or recommendations over the saints?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Now the build is a bit different. Changed the casette, chain, lot's of ti screws everywhere and an alu axle. Acording to my calculations should be exactly 40lbs.
I can lose some on the chain device and maybe lighter tires. Yet I'm quite happy about the weight.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,984 Posts
CrustyOne said:
Dont want to call anyone a liar, but I have trouble believing it too, and the other m3 at 38
are the wheels ultralight or something?
ti-spring, tubeless, red kevlar tires are 1 pound lighter each (2 pounds rolling weight), think about taking one pedal off your bike......2 of my pedals equal to 1 pedal (I have ti/mag pedals)......light wtb seat and seatpost....it was easy

·
Registered
605 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
ti-spring, tubeless, red kevlar tires are 1 pound lighter each (2 pounds rolling weight), think about taking one pedal off your bike......2 of my pedals equal to 1 pedal (I have ti/mag pedals)......light wtb seat and seatpost....it was easy
What kind of tires are those SMT? if i could shave some rollin gresistance off my Maxxis dble ply 2.5 Minions without sacrificing any grip i'd def look into it.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,984 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
the tires really slip in the corners.....I use them race only because we have to pedal a wall at fontana...I give up corning for the pedal....but they really suck on cornering

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=23365&item=50-6761&slitrk=search&slisearch=true
bah, that's why i got rid of my last light set of tires, complete ass in corners Maxxis Adv 2.1, and Hutchison Python 2.3, made my XC/AM days so much nicer though i'd like to find an inbetween tire.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
My Faith: Freeride/trail setup= 38 pounds after I put my easton monkey DH carbon bar and 2.35 front tire on.

The Faith: DH setup= 40 pounds. Flipped links and the 888 sl, which only weighs .3 of a pound more then the 66. All the weight gain is in the 2 ply tires.

·
N* Bomber Crew
4,271 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
Still not convinced. All the things you listed are pretty miniscule weight savings. The M3 isn't exactly a super lightweight frame, and the 888 RC2X you have is rather heavy.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
39.6 (single ply tires/fox dhx 5.0)

41.8 DH casing 2.7's front rear and Avalanche dhs)

My weight is another story! :D After sympathy weight for wifes pregnancy 240lbs, now 230 and on my way to 215/220.:thumbsup:

·
Pro Crastinator
11,411 Posts
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
..I give up corning for the pedal....but they really suck on cornering...
by the looks of you "racing" it's because your supposed to transfer your weight over the front wheel in corners, not sit your ass on your seat...

1 - 20 of 68 Posts