Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was just checking in to see what lightweight front derailleurs everyone's been going with. Right now, I'm looking at the XTR front derailleurs, but was wondering if there was anything that is either lighter or performs any better. I'm looking for top-pull.

Thanks a ton!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Since he says he's looking for top-pull I'm going to assume that a Dura-Ace, while lighter than any MTB derailleur, won't do him any good as all road derailleurs are bottom pull.

For top pull, your best bet is likely a XTR FD-M952 ...It's a top pull, top swing and weighs about 112 g with stock, steel bolts. I guess about 109 g is possible with aluminum bolts.

·
Registered
934 Posts
eurorider said:
Since he says he's looking for top-pull I'm going to assume that a Dura-Ace, while lighter than any MTB derailleur, won't do him any good as all road derailleurs are bottom pull.

For top pull, your best bet is likely a XTR FD-M952 ...It's a top pull, top swing and weighs about 112 g with stock, steel bolts. I guess about 109 g is possible with aluminum bolts.
This is the front der I want but they are hard to find. I have not looked on ebay. Cambria had it listed a few weeks ago and I ordered it but I have not received it yet. This is one area I'm really struggling with. I don't know what to do. There is some B-T-P adaptor that will allow you to save some weight but I don't recall how. You can use braze on top pulls?? Is Tiso coming out with a top pull? What IS the lightest top pull solution currently on the market and where can I get alloy bolts for my f-der? If the 952 is available who has it for sale? So many sexy bottom pulls :rolleyes:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Scott Scale eh? I don't know if that is my favourite but I'm pretty sure it requires an E-type front derailleur due to its massive thickness near the BB area.

Or you can go creative with a special BTP carbon clamp like Nino is doing...

·
Registered
934 Posts
eurorider said:
Scott Scale eh? I don't know if that is my favourite but I'm pretty sure it requires an E-type front derailleur due to its massive thickness near the BB area.

Or you can go creative with a special BTP carbon clamp like Nino is doing...

that's right E-type - FD-M952-E - sorry I didn't understand until now what the E type was. I'd like to see a pic of the tiso. It costs boucoupe bucks $$$ as does the adaptor. :eek:

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Keep em comin'!

Thanks a ton for the input, everyone!! I really appreciate all of the suggestions! I will be looking to order a 31.8 clamp size.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FD-M952 for sale?

Slobberdoggy said:
If the 952 is available who has it for sale? :rolleyes:
Here is a link to a website that doesn't say that they are out of stock. Haven't ever dealt with them or contacted them, but maybe I'll give them a call to see if they actually do have this derailleur in stock or not. Looks like they sell Jeep offroad gear, camping gear, and cycling gear, so who knows what to expect!! They have the derailleur listed for $64.

http://www.rubiconusa.com/store/product.asp?productnum=SHI30020200&folderid=1108

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Newb question alert!

eurorider said:
Maybe, just make sure they have the 31.8 size that you need (or the E-type in Slobberdoggy's case).
Hey eurorider, thanks again for your time. Quick question, if you take a look at the pic in the link, is it me or is the clamp not pictured? Or is this a different type of derailleur? Thanks again!!

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
If you're on a bike so light that it "deserves" a sub-100g FD, why not just swap the 12-27 cassette you are probably already using for an 11-34, go for a 36t or so front ring, and totally ditch the front shifter and cable? A simple guide (30?) will keep the chain on.
That's the setup I'm looking at for next season. I already rode 36x11-27 quite a bit (little altitude in my races), and hope to go to 11-32 for most instances to not get lazy legs, and make it up steeps more easily.
In my case it's part of my "budget" 8kg attempt for a fullbred geared 29" bike. For 26" I'd need a 40t front ring to get the same gearing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cloxxki said:
If you're on a bike so light that it "deserves" a sub-100g FD, why not just swap the 12-27 cassette you are probably already using for an 11-34, go for a 36t or so front ring, and totally ditch the front shifter and cable?
Why not just go the whole hog and dump the rear mech too and just have an 18 cog to go with your 36 ring? Just about as practical for most of us who have real hills.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
Interesting idea. It seems to win Expert races in the US, gotta try that once.

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
I bought my NEW XTR-FD M952 31.8 TP/TS

at Chain reacton Cycles in the UK. I bought 4 XTR 952 in 2 sizes to stock up :p.
Thye were like $70 each.

Go to their site and order one online. They had some last week. or try calling them. Shipping is around $18 for 1 FD.

·
Faller - Expert Class
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks!!!

DIRT BOY said:
at Chain reacton Cycles in the UK. I bought 4 XTR 952 in 2 sizes to stock up :p.
Thye were like $70 each.

Go to their site and order one online. They had some last week. or try calling them. Shipping is around $18 for 1 FD.
Cool, thanks for the heads-up, Dirt Boy!!! I'll definitely check them out....(most likely after Christmas shopping has drained my pockets!)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts